Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

E350 Hood Scoop

Would installing Air Scoop on hood of a E350 Class C Motor Home reduce Engine Bay/Dog House heat?. Has anyone ever done this?
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Doubt it. Wind tunnel tests on hood scoops less than 6 inches tall show they have NO effect. The scoops on all the muscle cars of the 60's were for show, not go.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #3

On my E350 based C, there's so little air across the windshield I hardly even get bugs stuck to the window.

I think you'd get way more air increase putting a scoop under the front half of the engine to increase the vacuum thus drawing more out of the engine bay.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

This MIGHT help... just a bit.

Many, many.... many years ago, in my hot rod days, I got the bright idea to shoehorn a 427 into a '37 Chevy's engine bay. Needless to say, there wasn't much wiggle room in the compartment... and because I'd had to use tubular headers to make it fit, under hood temperatures were a wee bit excessive.

I wanted to retain the hood sides, as if I could keep a Rat Motor a secret, and as a consequence of being enclosed, vapor lock was a constant source of "amusement". Even adding a cool can for the fuel line to pass through, provided limited relief.

What I did to pull the hot air out of the engine bay was pick up a couple of heavy duty, 12v blowers, set them up to pull air out of the engine bay and ran some metal flex tubing out, towards the rear of the car. I installed a switch so I could turn them on and off.

Surprisingly, they actually worked well enough to keep the fuel from boiling in the float bowls of the carbs.

I don't know if such an arraignment would make enough of a difference to reduce radiant heat from coming through a doghouse, but it might be worth a try. Perhaps you could use a pair of high flow bilge blowers, available through a marine supply house.
unca waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best thing to do is to pull the seats and carpet out. Then apply a good layer of a foil backed heat blanket to the floor and reinstall the carpet and seats. Also line the inside of the engine cover with the insulation.

On a class C we had, I used....Bonded Logic Heat/Sound Insulation - JCWhitney

Use high temp spray adhesive to hold in in place and seal the edges with the foil tape.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
As you've seen in other posts you can put down Dynamat inside the cab on the floor and doors to reduce heat and there are several other products that can be placed inside the engine compartment to reflect the heat away from the cab. By doing both you will reduce road noise and give your AC a well deserved rest.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote