Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #43

I just read on another forum about Continental Tires
Having a 3150 #. In a 225/75/16 C
They said the C is not the load range but designated Comercial thus the higher load #
Our 28z E450 needs tires before spring.

Anyone have any dealings with these?

I do have 19.5 Continentals on the F 450 but not enough miles to have any opinions.
Thanks
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #44

Don't Blindly Trust Your Tire Gauge

CLICK HERE to read a post I wrote on my experience with tire gauges. What I thought was my most trusted tire gauge, turned out to be reading 9 psi too high, meaning I was running 9 psi too little.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
CLICK HERE to read a post I wrote on my experience with tire gauges. What I thought was my most trusted tire gauge, turned out to be reading 9 psi too high, meaning I was running 9 psi too little.
I have three gauges, stick, dial, digital (TPMS). I get a 4 psi spread when checking at about 80 psi. The dial was just 1 psi under the highest. It is the easiest to use (flex hose), so I just go with that one.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I have a Milton Dual Head truck tire inflator w/gauge, Green Slime digital, dual head truck tire gauge, and the TST 507 TPMS. Guess which is closest to the TPMS? The Green Slime Digital. The $133 Milton, if I want 80 to read on the TPMS and GreenSlime, I have to go to 88 on the Milton.

Makes me wonder.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #47

E450 Tires--blowout prevention

You might look at the Bridgestone Duravis R238s. They are a steel tire. All season. They come in a 225/75/r16. I put a set on my class C. I had Michelins from the factory that had cracked beyond belief (5 years). The Duravis do not run as nice as the Michelin’s did, but they are heavy duty. Given the state of the interstate highway system, I prefer heavy duty. I looked at the XPS ribs, but they are considered a summer tire, and at the time the only set I could find locally had older date codes. The Duravis also played nice w the dually spacing. Best of luck.
jasonleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #48

Commercial Member

No tire engineer says to weigh every trio.
All tires on an axle should have the same inflation.
Trailers should run the tire sidewall inflation but need to confirm the tire load capacity is 115 percent of heaviest axle end.
TPMS monitor pressure loss and will give

of +/- 3 percent.
Motorhome can run inflation based on heavy a learning eng and load/inflation tables with extra 10 Percent. This is all covered in my blog.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #49

Ok after spending several hours tire shopping and educating myself maybe I’ve made a decision.

Earlier I said I wanted to increase the load rating on new tires for the E 450 Z28 Thor class C

225/75/16 E 10 ply
1) Load rated tires 115 = 2679#
2) Load rated tires 120 = 3197#

There are lots of #1 out there. Not so many #2

Price range is low of $137 and up so acceptable for shopping.
I’ve narrowed it down to either General Grabber HD
Or Hercules Terra Trac CH4
Part of the decision is locals tire dealers for any warranty issues.

Thanks this is a great forum!
Old 02-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #50

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2late View Post
Ok after spending several hours tire shopping and educating myself maybe I’ve made a decision.

Earlier I said I wanted to increase the load rating on new tires for the E 450 Z28 Thor class C

225/75/16 E 10 ply

I'm a little confused. According to Tire & Rim Association Load tables for an LT225/75R16 LR E tire
the max single load is 2,680# @ 80 psi

There is an LT225/75R16 LR F tire rated for 3,000# single at 95 Psi

I also find in the European Standards book for "CP type for motor caravans"
225/75R16CP a tire rated 1200kg (2,646 lb) at 475 kpa(69 psi)

Where are you finding an LT225/75R16 LR-E tire rated for 3,197 @ 80 psi?
A link would be apreciated
Old 02-16-2019, 11:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I'm a little confused. According to Tire & Rim Association Load tables for an LT225/75R16 LR E tire
the max single load is 2,680# @ 80 psi

There is an LT225/75R16 LR F tire rated for 3,000# single at 95 Psi

I also find in the European Standards book for "CP type for motor caravans"
225/75R16CP a tire rated 1200kg (2,646 lb) at 475 kpa(69 psi)

Where are you finding an LT225/75R16 LR-E tire rated for 3,197 @ 80 psi?
A link would be apreciated
Hmmm ... where are you finding a LT225/75R16 Load Range F tire??

If a quality manufacturer like Michelin offered these LR F tires I might be interested. I'd like these tires on our 24 foot E450 Class C for a reason other than weight carrying capacity (since LR E tires can easily carry the weight of our small Class C, with a healthy margin).

I'd run Load Range F tires on the stock 16 inch rims - but at normal small Class C weight pressures for this reason: Under the assumption that the higher Load Range F rated tires are designed and made stronger to deal with the increased pressures and carried weights than Load Range E tires ... at Load Range E pressures the Load Range F tires would provide more blowout protection due to their necessary heavier duty construction.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #52

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you study the pressure chart, you will note that dropping rear pressure on duallies from 80 to 70 reduces rear axle capacity by 1,000+/-, (so assuming without looking) that 80 to 65 reduces rear axle by 1,500#? That is a LOT. That is also why you replace rear tires in pairs by side (BLOWOUT OVERLOADS THE REMAINING TIRE ON THAT SIDE); additionally, I read that lower pressures can allow the two tires sidewalls to RUB each other, causing blowout (another reason you do NOT put wider tires on these?).. PERSONALLY, I would leave rear at 80#, maybe experiment a little w/ front, which is where you will feel comfort/ handling differences the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
DISCLAIMER--I tried to bump an old thread about this, but the forum wouldn't let me. So I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but couldn't find much info on heavy-rated 16" tires.

I have a 26' Winnebago Class C. It's on an E-450 frame (14,500 GVWR).

Fully loaded with the trailer hooked up, I have 8200# on the rear axle (GAWR of 9,600 lbs), and 3950# on the front axle (5000 GAWR). It has Hankook Load Range E tires on it. I can't find Hankook pressure/load charts for this tire, but a Michelin table from a similar tire shows that I should be ~55 psi on the front, and 65 psi on the rear. I can't remember offhand what the sticker on the RV says to inflate to, but they're generic ones (maybe 70 front 80 rear).

So, that's the background info. I have a few questions on this. Should I run these tires at the 55/65 psi setting and call it good? Or am I begging for a blowout? To prevent said blowout, am I better simply running LRE tires at a bone-jarring pressure, or upgrading to a stouter tire and running them at the 55/65 mark? I really don't want to deal with the either the damage of a blowout, or the discomfort of overly-inflated tires. What's the right compromise here?

You few guys that have gone to the heavier tire route--Are you still confident it's the right decision? Do you run at pressures according to scale tickets and load charts, or run at much higher ones?

I'm sure I'm overthinking all of this. It just freaks me out that my 8000 lb pickup has the same tire load rating as my much heavier RV.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #53

Quote:

225/75/16 E 10 ply

I went through lots of the on line tire buying guides.
Simple Tire is where I found these specific tires and ratings.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #54

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Hmmm ... where are you finding a LT225/75R16 Load Range F tire??

If a quality manufacturer like Michelin offered these LR F tires I might be interested. I'd like these tires on our 24 foot E450 Class C for a reason other than weight carrying capacity (since LR E tires can easily carry the weight of our small Class C, with a healthy margin).

I'd run Load Range F tires on the stock 16 inch rims - but at normal small Class C weight pressures for this reason: Under the assumption that the higher Load Range F rated tires are designed and made stronger to deal with the increased pressures and carried weights than Load Range E tires ... at Load Range E pressures the Load Range F tires would provide more blowout protection due to their necessary heavier duty construction.
My post #50 was in response to Post #49 by 2Late.
I was pointing out that I cannot find LR-E tires that can support 3197# so the listing of #1 type and #2 type is not clear.

LR-F is a size & LR listing in Tire & Rim Standards book so that would be the load capacity if a tire company chose to make a higher Load Range tire than LR-E.

I thought it possible that 2Late was also considering a European "Commercial" tire but could not find a 225/75R16 with 3,197# load capacity their either.

It would certainly help if the proper and complete size nomenclature was used when asking for information else people end up spenfding time trying to figure out the real question.

If you have a specific brand preference than I would check the companies website. If the size isn't listed on the company site then it probably doesn't exist.

Maybe I'm just a bit thick today with a head cold to understand the basic question being asked. Sorry, My bad.

This thread started by asking how to prevent "blowouts". To me this is relatively easy.
Confirm the tire is not overloaded, Confirm you have at least a 15% Reserve load, Run a TPMS with the low-pressure level = to the minimum inflation needed to support the measured load (i.e. zero reserve load). Do a "Free Spin" inspection at least annually
Old 02-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #55

Ok on the General Grabber HD 225/75R16C
Service Description 121/120R
Max Load 3,195 lbs
If I’m not understanding this could you please explain.
I did see these are 90 psi tires.
Is this the limiting factor since the factory wheels are 80 psi?
Thanks
Old 02-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #56

Quote:
Ok on the General Grabber HD 225/75R16C
Service Description 121/120R
Max Load 3,195 lbs
If I’m not understanding this could you please explain.
I did see these are 90 psi tires.
Is this the limiting factor since the factory wheels are 80 psi?
Thanks
That General Grabber HD 225/75R16C tire seems to be specified "strangely".

You're right - regarding the 90 lbs. pressure - and almost right regarding the 3,197(5?) lbs. of weight carrying capacity. HOWEVER, note in the specs for it in this link to the General Tire web page that the tire is still called a "Loard Range E" tire ...I have no idea what's with this tire and as for me, I wouldn't "trust it" until I absolutely found out what the deal is with these descrepencies :
https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-hd
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, tires, vent