Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Electric shore power cord is tripping post

Today I had a weird electrical problem with shore power cord tripping house GFI? I had been camping all weekend and no problems. On way home stopped at rest stop and cranked up generator to use microwave. No problem. I get home and as usual practice I attempt to plug into house current to power slides and keep refrigerator going, but the gfi tripped on my house plug. Never happened previously. Now what? I got a different extension cord and same results. I turned everything off in coach and flipped the battery disconect switch off! Still same results, so I am stumped? Any clue what to check next?

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #2

Prob'ly best to start with basics. Flip all the breakers off on your AC panel and plug yourself in. GFI still popped?

Maybe transfer switch issue as that relay is the last thing you activated between shore power and then switching to genset and back again.

Still problems?

Look thru your AC panel for loose neutral/ground wires AFTER you've disconnected all power.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Put your fridge on manual and set to gas.....see if the gfci still trips?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I tried cutting everything off manually including refrigerator, and it still popped. Then I flipped the battery disconnect switch to cut everything off and it still popped. So I will take the advice and manually flip all the breakers next. Any other thoughts?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

My first check would be the house circuit ground. 30 or 50 amp? Your GFI is looking for a broken ground connection. It your system worked on shore power and with the generator, then I would suspect your home connection. Are you using an extension cord, what is the nature of the home connection?
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is your water heater electric and gas. If the electric element is burned, this may cause it. Happened to me several years ago and had the same systems as you. Turned the breaker off for the water heater and it was ok after.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
My first check would be the house circuit ground. 30 or 50 amp? Your GFI is looking for a broken ground connection. It your system worked on shore power and with the generator, then I would suspect your home connection. Are you using an extension cord, what is the nature of the home connection?
I am using heavy duty extention cord like many times in past. So, I switched cords, no luck, popped again. So used different outlet on different line, same results, popped. Surge protector plugged into both extention cords gave me power on and no problems, but as soon as coach cord plug is inserted everything trips. The house receptical is 15 amp with 30 amp adapter plug. ARRRRR! I think the only thing left is call an electrician first and if that doesn't work make the 2 hour trip to my rv service center-Bill Plemmons, outside Winston Salem NC.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
Is your water heater electric and gas. If the electric element is burned, this may cause it. Happened to me several years ago and had the same systems as you. Turned the breaker off for the water heater and it was ok after.
BINGO! Thanks Peterrrr. Using my surge protector as a guide, I turned off all breakers individually. Turned each one on individually. Refrigerator no problem, air conditioner no problem, microwave no problem, and water heater lit up surgeprotector with red lights for reversed polarity. Cut water heater breaker off and surge protector returned to green on all systems.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Great troubleshooting! New elements sounds like, glad you figured it out!

Tags
power