Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Electrical outlet problem

I have a 2001 sunseeker 29' , I have 20 amp double cb, one half operates the bathroom, over stove and front tv outlet and works fine, the other half of the breaker runs the converter and it works fine, the problem is the other outlets bedroom, rear tv, fridge, and two other outlets in the living room area don't work, reset cb, checked outlets loose wires all our tight this happen last night around 2am. Can't figure out how the wires from this double cb run, there's no rhyme or reason for what each cb operates, Thinks it got to be a short, checking the wire bundles could be a major tasking. Been working fine since I've owned it, any thoughts on how I should proceed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This sounds like it could be a GFI problem. Check ALL outlets to see if they have a GFI tripped on them.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

Question Electrical problems

The gfi in bathroom is one of the outlets that work, the other cb for micro, ac work fine, can only find the one gfi ,cb is putting out pwr it's running the converter., don't know what's the beginning and end of the run, wire run thru everything, walls floors, very confusing.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
This sounds like it could be a GFI problem. Check ALL outlets to see if they have a GFI tripped on them.
GFI might even be hidden behind microwave or rear TV, then power is 'daisy-chained' to other outlets.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yochieg1948 View Post
The gfi in bathroom is one of the outlets that work, the other cb for micro, ac work fine, can only find the one gfi ,cb is putting out pwr it's running the converter., don't know what's the beginning and end of the run, wire run thru everything, walls floors, very confusing.
If you are SURE you only have one GFI, then it's probably time to get voltmeter in hand and check each outlet for inbound and outbound power on the outlet terminals. You probably have a loose or broken wire on one of them, which isn't that unusual in a MH. You probably should start at the CB panel and make sure all wires are tight there first.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

GFI might even be hidden behind microwave or rear TV, then power is 'daisy-chained' to other outlets.
Bedroom outlet not gfi, outlet next to micro is working, hate to pull micro, hard to believe they would hide a gfi, believe there's a break somewhere in the line ,I'm camping now in savannah ga, guess ill have to wait until I get home to find that break, thanks for your input, any other ideas are welcome don't look forward to tracing the wire bundles, will post when I get it fixed, may take awhile but ill find it.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

Don't know where your CB panel might be, but if it's on an outside wall, the heating and cooling of the sun can cause the screws to loosen on either the breaker or the neutral strip.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you check the exterior outlet for a GFI?
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Did you check the exterior outlet for a GFI?
Exterior outlet is not a gfi and its working ,got my fridge plugged into it, checked the cb screws, all tight, electrical panel is on bedroom side of bed frame. Checked all non working outlets all terminals tight, cb is putting out pwr, do remember when pwr went around 2am. My clock radio flickered on and off a few times after I lost pwr an never came back on, been using the fluke meter on everything I can stick it into
Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Still sounds like a a GFI. Anything downstream of a tripped breaker will be dead as well.

If you can't find the cause, you may have no choice but to trace. I would start with the circuit breaker panel itself and with a power probe, see if you can find a line that has no power to it. If it was a short, you should have a tripped breaker. It is possible that you have a bad breaker in the box. If you can find a dead power line, you can a least trace back to which breaker controls it.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #11

My thoughts also, I've got to find the first pwr outlet from the breaker not an easy task with wire bundle going everywhere, there's not a logical sequence to outlets like in a house, thought about replacing cb, even tho the converters coming off the cb is working, wish I could find another gfi, is it really possible they put one behind the micro, with a working plug a foot away, when I had a boat it was a pain to do elect work on, thanks for the suggestions it keeps my mind working on a solution to my problem, will keep you posted , thanks. Phil
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you have not found any additional GFI that has tripped, also check your Inverter/Converter to see if a circuit breaker has tripped on it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #13

The inverter/converter is putting out 13.6 v and its power comes from the cb that's the outlets are on that's not working, don't think this is part of my problem but my fan in the pwr box has never turned on, it pretty warm to the touch this is my first Moho, and first long trip chattanooga to savannah, everything went great on the road, guess I a perfect trip not in the cards, better take dw back to savannah , I've worked around the non working outlets ,just an inconvience, better quit for the day troubleshooting ,and do what I came here for ,seeing savannah ga.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any chance you had critters gnawing on the wires? Being that it happened at night makes me suspect varmints. If so, you have my sympathy.

okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote