Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Electrical Question

Hoping somebody might have the answer. I have a coachman 2009 leprechaun 320ds. Both the generator and emergency start will work when plugged into shore power. But when I'm off shore power neither one will work.
When off shore power and I press the start switch for Generator, I hear the clicking for the fuel but no turning over of engine. When I push the emergency start for the campers engine, I hear nothing. Here is what I have already done or tried. Checked all batteries and they are 100% full power and amps. Jumped the solenoid on the house battery (nothing) All the lights work, checked all he fuses. Very lost on what this could be, hoping somebody might know what I can look for. Trying to avoid the expensive trip to the RV service department. Appreciate any help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most motorhomes have a house battery disconnect switch somewhere. Mine is on the dash. When its off and MH plugged in all lights and everything still works but converter won't charge batteries.

Some people call it a salesman switch.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #3

Carolina Campers
Electrical Question

My disconnect switch is in a cabinet above the entry door. My previous RV had the switch on the wall beside the steps of the entry way.

You may try to call the tech reps at the manufacture vs going to a RV shop.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #4

I am confused by your post. Probably me. The emergency start switch on anything I have seen so far does not start the MH. It does connect the engine batteries and he house batteries together to provide power if the engine battery has run down from sitting and/or something like leaving the lights on. Pushing it alone will not start. Pushing it while turning the key to the start position should work. When the unit is plugged into AC the house converter/charger is providing house power along with the house batteries so pushing the emergency start switch is the equivalent of connecting a heavy duty battery charger.

If the generator will start when plugged in but not off the batteries it sounds like the house batteries have a problem. Mine were under the inside step on both similar units. Have you checked the voltage on those batteries, not the one under the hood? The more I think about it the more it sounds like a problem with the house batteries. Do the lights light? If not check the house disconnect switch is in the correct position. The interior lights need to work with the AC unplugged before the rest will work.

I'd already be checking voltages at the battery posts and then between the chassis and solenoid big terminal that goes to the battery. If more than a tenth of so of a volt difference you have a dirty battery connector problem.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Could you be getting your ground from the pedestal so it then starts? Just a thought here.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #6

House battery was fine. Had it checked and was putting out 550amps Battery is rated for 535 so figured that was not the problem. The emergency switch would start the engine as long as the key was turned on when it was on shore power. At least thats how it was shown to us when we bought it. But off shore power, nothing,
Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Electrical Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
House battery was fine. Had it checked and was putting out 550amps Battery is rated for 535 so figured that was not the problem. The emergency switch would start the engine as long as the key was turned on when it was on shore power. At least thats how it was shown to us when we bought it. But off shore power, nothing,

I assume you already checked the house battery disconnect switch?

Frankly, from what you describe, it sounds like this switch may be flipped to disconnect the house batteries from the coach. The generator needs the house batteries to start, when not connected to shore power. Same with the emergency start switch.

Regardless, I would not expect that you would need to be hooked up to shore power for the emergency start switch to start the coach.... On both of my RV's it could be used to start the coach without being connected to the shore power. This is helpful when the coach has been in storage where there is not any shore power, and the disconnect switch is used to kill any ancillary electoral draw against the house batteries, but the coach battery may have drained some. Then you can turn on the house battery disconnect switch (so that the house batteries are not disconnected) and use the emergency switch to boost the coach battery with the charged house batteries.

Another suggestion would be to check for the flip breaker that protects the house batteries if there is a large amperage demand on the house batteries. This breaker is generally located close to the house batteries. Mine is directly behind the house batteries. This breaker is not part of your breaker panel where all the regular house breakers are located. You will see that it is hooked up to the battery cable and generally located on the chassis frame. This breaker has a little lever to the bottom of the breaker that flips down to break the circuit and protect the house batteries. If that is flipped, all you need to do is locate that little lever and push it back up to reset the breaker. The problem is that you may not even be able to see the lever, but you will feel it and simply push it back up until it clicks in place to reset it.

Good luck. Just some more thoughts to consider.

Ted
Old 08-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #8

Thanks Ted, I'll look for the breaker for the house batteries. Didn't see anything while I was pulling out batteries before, but then I was not looking for a breaker. If nothing else I will call the tech's at coachman on Monday. Never even thought of that, thanks for the tip.
Jim
Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2008 Coachmen Freedom Express, the generator, battery disconnect and auto battery are wired to one side of a solenoid(labeled on the schematics as emergency start solenoid). The other side of the solenoid has a brown wire coming from the Emergency Start Switch. This solenoid is in the battery compartment under the steps, in the area to the left of the battery box. From the solenoid it is wired to a 250 Amp Mega fuse which then go to the coach batteries. If the coach batteries will not start the generator or EMS the unit, then it could be the mega fuse or the solenoid which is preventing your start. If it is the fuse you should try and determine what caused that fuse to blow.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
Thanks Ted, I'll look for the breaker for the house batteries. Didn't see anything while I was pulling out batteries before, but then I was not looking for a breaker. If nothing else I will call the tech's at coachman on Monday. Never even thought of that, thanks for the tip.
Jim

That breaker can be flipped for several reasons, a hard draw of amps when you start the generator and forgot to turn off the A/C's, you over heat the leveling jacks after multiple attempts at leveling, etc, etc.

You may never know the reason it flipped, but once it flips you know the results. Things may happen, like what you described, the inverter gets an alarm and you can't seem to get it above 12V when driving and the inverter is on, etc, but, when plugged into shore power all seems ok...

Tags
electrical