Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Can you point to the one that said "Product of China"?

I would like to see it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Yes, here is the link to it- https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...urge+protector
gladu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladu2 View Post
Thank you!

I sent Amazon a message regarding the origin of that specific product and its authenticity.

We'll see what happens.

I have talked with the owner directly, Tommy Fanelli, and I know for a fact that all of his products are made in the USA.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #17

Pricing variance is another thing I noticed when shopping for my EMS unit. RVSafety had the unit (EMS PT30X) listed for $251, Amazon was $275, then in a day amazon had it for $250 (via RVSafety), throne two days later, when I went to order, RVSafety was dropped and it ended up at $251, with no freight charge, from Camping Connection out of Florida. Camping Connection showed zero stock, called them, and basically, they take the order and drop ship from North Carolina. Long story short, watch the pricing as it really varies day to day based on sourcing by Amazon. Unit was supposed to arrive yesterday, not here yet, so hopefully today.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
I emailed Tommy Fanelli, President of Progressive Industries. I linked this thread and the Amazon listing that says product origin is China. His rely:

"They are made here in North Carolina USA. That is a misprint, and I will follow up on it. Thanks for this information.

Thomas E. Fanelli, President
Progressive Industries, Inc.
1020 Goodworth Drive
Apex, NC 27539
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
"

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just ordered me one for my new RV and got the remote readout too. hard wired, had one on my 5er and it saved it from a power spike.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladu2 View Post
The EMS-LCHW30 already has an on board display that gives all the necessary faults and data values. Since it was $51 off on CampingWorld.com and it was the USA built model unlike Amazon.com units which are made in China I ordered one. I think viewing the data or faults display outside in the shore line cabinet is not a big inconvenience as often as I will need to do this. Now I won't need to do any surface wiring for a remote monitor or have to find a path for it's cable into the RV or drill any new holes. I'm thinking of installing a piece of 3/4" plywood in the shore line cabinet w/ construction adhesive and then screwing the EMS-LCHW30 into that so I won't need to make new holes in the cabinet. Might spray the plywood with fire retardant paint 1st. $200 for a hardwired EMS-LCHW30 works for me.
It is extremely handy to have the remote readout in the coach where you can see it all the time. You can see the draw from the water heater, converter, etc and watch the cycles and volts and amp loads, even if not out of limits its good to know if it is holding up or falling off due to bad or poor pedestal wiring, makes a great night light too!

Winnebago used a piece of plywood screwed to the inside of the shore cord compartment to mount a receptacle for the generator output and another 4x4 box for the shore cord to coach wiring junction. I made a new piece of plywood, larger and nicer, sanded and varnished when done. I used T nuts with the heads recessed just flush and 10-32 screws to mount the plywood using the existing holes, and also for mounting the LCHW30 in place of the 4x4 junction box and the generator receptacle box too.

Got mine from Tweety's for $222 with free shipping and no tax. It is now $239, unit with intergral display is $219.

http://tweetys.com/electrical-manage...rdwire-30.aspx

Charles
Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just received my box, installing this weekend
Old 03-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #22

Actually had a chance to use my PMS unit this past weekend. Can't believe I did not have one of these before! Very impressed with operation and performance of the 30 amp portable unit. Highly Recommend it.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Sure hope that your EMS didn't give you any PMS!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #24

I ordered this from RV Upgrades. They had the best price. The Hughes Unit actually boosts low voltage to make it safe in most cases... Also has protection against voltage spikes.

The Progressive unit I got from Amazon..... I plan to use both..

Your Order Summary

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total
71-2669 Hughes Autoformer RV220-50-SP 50 Amp Voltage Booster with Advanced Surge Protection
1 $516.80 $516.80

STANDARDSOFTENER On The Go OTG4-Std Soft RV Water Softener
1 $179.98 $179.98

10-1155 Oxygenics 92481 Fury RV Handheld Shower Head - Brush Nickel
1 $45.73 $45.73

DSC-35 Free Shipping
1 $0.00 $0.00

Amazon
Items Ordered Price
1 of: Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X 50A Digital Surge Protector with Weather Shield
Sold by: RV Safety Accessories Inc (seller profile)

Condition: New
New Units with Lifetime Warranty. Proudly selling Progressive Industries USA manufactured products since 2007. Offering the Best Customer Service 7 days per week. $340.38

Thanks IRV2 members. From Toads, Tow bars, shower heads to Electricity protection. You all have been great about sharing your experiences and knowledge. Know that it is truly appreciated.

Penny and I have owned RVs for around 20 years now but always used them to "Dry Camp" at the race tracks we competed at. Even traveling to the tracks it was Walmart's.... Its been a learning experience while waiting for our new Renegade Explorer to be built. This will be the first time we actually use an RV to stay at an RV park and explore instead of just driving by and having the wife mention "look... There is the Hoover Dam" as we drive by headed for the race track ........

We made some unforgettable memories doing that and I wouldn't change a thing It was an incredible ride, but its that time in our lives to actually smell the roses instead of traveling somewhere trying to get there asap only to traverse a quarter mile in 6 seconds.

Frank
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #25

Ok, so I just bought the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector and am wondering where I can get some really simple ways to secure it from theft and view some pictures of these ways possibly?

I need something relatively simple as I'm not the most mechanically inclined girl. The main reason I didn't get the hardwired one...
JKChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #26

A bicycle type cable lock should work fine. Like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TQ1532...LT+Cable+Locks

I bought a Bolt Cable lock that can be keyed to an automotive key.

https://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7023719-...LT+Cable+Locks
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The EMS-PT30C should have a metal attachment on the power cable. You can purchase a cable-lock, like you would use to secure a bicycle. Route the cable-lock around/through the campground electrical box in such a way that it cannot be removed. This will deter theft. Keep on traveling!

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post
A bicycle type cable lock should work fine. Like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TQ1532...LT+Cable+Locks

I bought a Bolt Cable lock that can be keyed to an automotive key.

https://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7023719-...LT+Cable+Locks
I'd look at the first one, it has a 6 foot length that can be repeatedly wrapped around a pedestal of just about any size. The second one, that is only 32 inches long might loop once around a 10" pedestal, but won't wrap twice or more, allowing it to be lifted off. More flexibility in having a longer cable. Not sure the feature of compatibility with an ignition key is that valuable, many RVs don't use auto ignitions but third party ones.

Speaking of flexibility, while you might save a few bucks buying a 30 amp portable EMS, those that decide to upgrade to a newer RV might find it underpowered for a 50A unit. Why not buy the 50A now, if you go to a new RV, the 50A can go with you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical