Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Engine age

Hi there folks,
I have at 1992 27ft Gulfstream Ultra Limited class c that im in the process of renovating the interior and doing repairs outside. Im questioning wheather or not this is the original engine or not.The RV currently has just over 56,000 miles on it, does that sound plausible for a 1992?
The reason why I ask is while under the rig replacing the muffler and some pipes I noticed a large black hose about the diameter of a nickel running along the frame. About half way up the frame it stops and is coiled up, zip tied and theres a plug in the end of it. Now, I have no idea what this was from or for so Im wondering if this RV may have had the engine replaced possibly one that was carb fed or an EFI engine. If there any way to identify weather this is the original engine or not? if it isnt I have no idea how many miles were on the replacement and that concerns my wife & I since we were planning on taking this RV cross country to Vancouver WA with various stops.
Im an idiot for not looking into this Rv better and im sorry to say it was an impulse but, we saw the low miles and bought it after a quick inspection. Hope someone out there can help me and thank you to all that answer.

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #2

Complete shot in the dark here, but that hose could be a heater hose that was running to the rear of the motorhome for a rear heater. 56,000 on a 92 is not unheard of. Many rigs spend way more time parked than on the road.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My '02 has less than 30k on it, Topdownman put his finger on it. RV's are unlike cars in that their normal state of being is 'parked'. RV's will generally have far fewer miles on them for their age than cars do. I'd say 56k on your '96 is quite plausible and my gut feeling, based on your description, is that the engine is probably original.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
re engine age

Hi there top down guy,
it almost looks like a piece of gas line that was run. Theres not alot of room under the Rv right now so I havent been able to follow it to the back and see where it ends up. Well I'll grab another quick cup of hot coffee and head out to the barn and crawl underneth her, thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
engine

Hi Ramblin,
Thats what it looks like to me too because from underneth everything seems to be worn & aged equally nothing looks newer. Im hoping that it is the original and that we can travel in it across this great country of ours and not have to shack up in pet freindly hotels with our pug.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
re:engine age

Well I went out and got under the RV and I followed back the rubber hose thats coiled up and plugged under the rig and it looks to be an old gas line. The top of the tank is so close to the floor that I can only see the top of the sending unit and the elbow that comes out of the top of it. That elbow has black hose attached to it and it heads towards the front of the tank thats all I could see.
I also crawled around underneth up front and pulledhe doghouse off and could not locate a VIN # that was either stamped in the block or a tag attatched to the block with the VIN # on it. Where does Ford usually put their VIN numbers??

Mike
Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Re: rubber hose under my rig

Hi guys,
Hey listen, question the rubber hose that I mentioned in my original post the one that is coiled up and has a plug in it could that have been something to do with emissions coming off the top of the fuel tank??? Just wondering
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYRVer View Post
Hi guys,
Hey listen, question the rubber hose that I mentioned in my original post the one that is coiled up and has a plug in it could that have been something to do with emissions coming off the top of the fuel tank??? Just wondering

Yes it could have very well been an EVAP hose or something.

As for mileage, I have an 81 Class C with only 46k on the clock, so your mileage is most likely right.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #9

My rigs a 92 and I have about 60k on it. I do most of my camping locally but have taken the rig all through Canada and most of the Western USA. No clue what the rubber tube is - but I wouldn't associate empty tube with a sign of a replacement engine.