Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #15

Have the front end alignment by a truck shop that understands the increased caster required not the factory specs.
Get coach weighed front and rear axel, adjust tire pressures based on tire pressure charts not by door sticker, you are probably running to much tire pressure.

Rich
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rich is spot on ! Load coach as per normal travel, weigh it just front and rear adjust tire pressures accordingly alignment shop to get negative 5degrees front caster and drive it makes a lot of difference, dont throw parts at it
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #17

I tighten up the Hellwig Helper Springs and it drives better. My next is to get an alignment. I haven’t found anybody that can do an alignment on a rv yet.
Bajadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajadave View Post
I tighten up the Hellwig Helper Springs and it drives better. My next is to get an alignment. I haven’t found anybody that can do an alignment on a rv yet.
You do not want just any alignment, 2kGeorgieBoy explains it best.

Wandering at highway speeds

Reply Post by 2kGeorgieBoy
Re: Wandering at highway speeds
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:02 PM

START QUOTE:
Jeff..Although we have a 2000 Georgie Boy 31' Maverick "C" on a Ford E450 chassis, I can fully agree on the caster effects, at least for us. When we got the unit in Jan 2014, the dealer had us take into a truck shop for an alignment. It turned out OK....A trip to Moab shortly there after brought out the problems. I then started reading the threads and comments here about the caster settings....esp., from Harvard. I checked the data from the first alignment and found that it was set at about 3 1/2 degrees positive...about in the middle of Ford's recommended range. Shortly before a cross country trip to Maryland in fall of 2016, I returned to the shop where the first alignment was done. I talked to the service manager and he knew of the problems with the E450's and was happy to increase the caster as I asked. The alignment tech was also familiar with it and ended up with settings close to 5.5 degrees positive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The unit tracked straight down the road, passing semis no longer caused a white knuckle hold on the wheel, and overall it was just a lot more enjoyable. It did however increase steering effort a little but not anything to worry about. But, be sure that the shop you go to is willing to "think outside of the box". Our first alignment was "plain vanilla", right in the middle like it was always done. Second time out, they were very willing to increase settings beyond what normally would be done, and still stay with in Ford's guidelines (0-7 degrees, I believe). I realize that our E450 chassis is an entirely different animal than yours, but I was trying to add support to the caster increase thinking and how it helped us......if you go down that road.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #19

BajaDave,

I previously posted about heavy duty stabilizer bars and such. Other's spoke against them. There is a simple test you and your spouse can perform at home to see if your rig would benefit from such upgrades. CLICK HERE to read about it.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #20

Entegra sways to much!

We did add a safe t plus to our 30fe freedom elite and that did help a lot. Two things going in before our purchase was we previously had a 28foot travel trailer so there was already a Learning curve and sway and porpoising. That being said once we added the safe t plus it handles just like my old 64 impala I used to have. They float and are not precise like modern cars. If your main vehicles are front wheel drive or all wheel drive you might be more sensitive to the affects.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #21

The extreme caster settings needed for a heavily loaded E350/450 chassis will require an aftermarket eccentric bushing. From the factory the caster is set for normal city delivery truck driving. The extra caster mentioned will make the vehicle track straight and not wander and wallow all over the place but many alignment shops don't understand this and will not align out of the Ford specs.

Charles
Old 12-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #22

Your right Charles. I took my Entegra to a local place and they said everything was fine because the specs were fords recommendations. So I’ll probably have to go out of town to a bigger city like San Diego and hope I can find a place that understands how motorhomes work.
Bajadave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra