RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Excessive Charge Current alarm

Hi all,

I'm a brand new Rv-er here. My boyfriend and I impulse-bought a 1979 Minnie Winnie. Seems in good mechanical shape, but it was primarily used for living in and not for driving/boondocking (am I using the right lingo? ) so it's great while on a generator or on city power, but we're having some issues setting it up with an auxiliary deep cycle battery.

We purchased an RV/Marine deep cycle from Costco the other day (just deep cycle, not starting, had 105 AH I believe), and as soon as we connected it the "Excessive Charge Current" alarm started blinking on the power control centre. My boyfriend left the battery connected for a while with the lights on to see what would happen and the battery drained in a few hours. We exchanged the battery for a new one (still Costco, but this one is a starting/deep cycle marine/RV with 125 AH) and, when connected, the same alarm went off. We disconnected the battery for now, and I wanted to see if anyone had any idea why this is happening.

I've read through the manual (luckily they still had the 1979 Winnebago manual!) but can't find any references to Excessive Charge Current. We'd love any help you guys could give us!

Thanks!

canucksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know your specific coach, but I suspect the easiest way to figure out what is going on is to look at this in two pieces. There are things/devices consuming the 12vDC power, and a converter/charger charging it back up. The alarm going of is indicating the battery and loads, are drawing too much current.

At this point, you don't know whether the converter is bad, or there are too many things plugged in, or a short in the 12v load somewhere.

I'd disconnect the converter, and see if the battery can power the 12v devices by itself, all the devices work correctly, and the battery doesn't get drained. You may need an ampmeter to observe the current being consumed by loads. Once you know all of this works correctly, then you can connect your converter back up. If it fails at that point, you'll know the problem is the converter.

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Are you sure you do not have the cables backwards ?

Send a picture of the battery and wires and maybe someone can tell you if they are correct.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote