Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Extended Service Plan on new rv?

The Nexus Phantom I bought in June has a one year front to back warranty but there's always something not covered, do you recommend my buying an extended warranty plan now or waiting till the warranty is up (when it will likely cost more)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #2

Buy it as part of the deal and you will save money. Get as long as you can get if you plan on keeping it for a while. It will pay for itself. A rooftop AC replacement alone is about 800. Then think about all of the other stuff like slides, generators, etc.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many threads here in discussion of the pros and cons of such warranties and the several companies that provide them. I would suggest to use the search feature and read up before deciding. Also get pricing from differing providers before settling on just what the dealer offers.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Neither, unless you like throwing your money away. ESPs are a huge money maker for the insurer and the sales person who sells it. Most studies say 98%+ never pay out more than you put in. That is why all the financial gurus you hear on the radio say to skip them and put the $$$$ you would have spent on them into a "repair fund" kitty.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My wife and I just bought our first used DP. You better believe I put an ESP on it. I made sure it covered the power/drivetrain.

The little things like interior and exterior I usually fix myself.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

ESP's are insurance just like auto or homeowners. How much risk are you willing to take? While putting money away sounds like a wise move, it might not be if you get hit with several "big buck" repairs. On the other hand maybe you won't need the money for repairs. Each persons situation is different. Don't rely on "expert" opinions as that is all they are, opinions.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
ESP's are insurance just like auto or homeowners. How much risk are you willing to take? While putting money away sounds like a wise move, it might not be if you get hit with several "big buck" repairs. On the other hand maybe you won't need the money for repairs. Each persons situation is different. Don't rely on "expert" opinions as that is all they are, opinions.

No they are not like auto or home insurance. There are many items that are excluded from coverage, differing deductible levels, maximum outlays and a whole host of fine print that covers different situations. Imagine if your car got into an accident and the insurance company saying they'll repair the bumper but not the door and your windshield isn't covered because you got hit on the right side instead of the left.

As far as big buck repairs, many of those have limits on coverage or are excluded. For example I know someone who got a quote of $ 4800 (basement AC replacement) and the ESP would cover $1800 of it leaving him with out of pocket expense of $3000. While you might say that he saved $1800 that isn't true, he went to another shop That didn't take ESPs and paid $2300 for the same repair. A friend took a rock through his radiator in Alaska and that was excluded because he was driving on an 'unimproved' road, out of pocket expense was north of $14,000. My convertor replacement would have cost me a deductible between $100 and $200, if I had a ESP. Instead I bought a new convertor for $160 and installed it myself. Considering I didn't have to drive my rig to a shop (about 50 miles away) and waste the gas and the time I came out ahead.

As far as not using experts, I bet if you had cancer, God forbid, you would be running to experts and following their advice, or if you were arrested and charged with a crime you didn't commit you would be using a legal "expert" to defend you. I also think that you trust the bridges you drive over because they were designed and then built by "experts" in their field and when your traffic light turns green you go, because the experts designed it to have the other ones on red. The irony is we rely on experts everyday but when they go against what we want to believe they are only offering "opinions" and are no longer considered reliable.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #8

Extended Service Plan on new rv?

My point is that I would not call financial gurus on radio experts. Would you trust your life saving to one of those gurus? What I meant by risk is how high a deductible do you want for your auto or home insurance and sometimes even they don't pay for everything. That's how ESP's are like insurance. What works for you might not work for someone else. Not better or worse, just different.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #9

Well I am darn glad I bought the insurance on my used 2010 Journey when I bought it in 2012. The policy cost me $4000. Thus far they've shelled out about $7000. The coach is in the shop right now waiting for a new blower motor and fan. Insurance will pay for the parts and 4 hours labor. I'll have to pay $100 deductible plus shipping costs plus any labor over 4 hours.
I agree that if insurance companies had more claims like mine, they'd be out of business.
I bought this policy because I had no records of any maintenance or repairs, and it's a diesel. If it had been a new coach, I would not have purchased the policy.
My extended warranty is Cornerstone's top coverage. It excludes very little and includes consequential damage.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

I think if you use your rv a lot and its not sitting most of the time, it would be worth it. I got the extended warrenty on my diesel truck and just 1 issue more than paid for it. I got a really good coverage at a really good rate through Good Sam.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #11

There's a number of co.'s that offer ESP's. I'd shop around to find the one that will fit your needs, price, ded...etc.. But I wouldn't purchase one on a new coach since you'll already be covered for at least a year. And certainly not from a dealer, but buy direct it's cheaper. And a rider to consider is gaskets & seals.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service