Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
mre

Extended Travel or Fulltime in a Class C

I am looking at Class C motorhomes. I currently have a 33 ft 3 slide 5th wheel. Great storage and living space. I have 11+ years experience with two 5th wheel logging in over 90,000 towing miles and spend time in it in all kinds of weather even in remote places were the there is very little around expect for the outdoor stuff we wanted to do/see where we had to sit and wait out the weather. We have been time in all 49 states and 10 of the 11 providences of Canada.

We are not fulltimers but travel 3-6 months at one stretch. I have looked a all brands of Class C and B+ motorhomes and try I have myself doing what we have done in one of the larger Class C motorhome.

While I am in relatively good health and can still handle the 5th wheel and all that is associated with making and breaking camp, (and of course all the other BS that goes along with Rving), I do worry. My wife, because of vision issues, cannot drive our Dually even when not towing. She has had a half dozen plus medical events requiring me to take her to receive medical attention. Luckily, nothing for me yet. I worry that my day is coming.

We are looking at Class A, B, and B+, and C motorhomes. The Class C has the most appeal to me though I know the Class A will be closer to what I am used to. What drives this change is that we will be able to tow a dingy that she can drive in the event that something happens to me.

I have looked at all brands and models. Do any of you full time or travel more than four months at one stretch? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

thanks
ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For extended stays and travel, I'd pick a smaller class A over a larger class C. The larger class C's do not have an over abundance of cargo weight capacity. Generally the smaller class A's will exhibit better road handling then will a larger C.

We have has Class A'S, class C's, travel trailers, 5th wheels and pop ups and currently full time in a 5th wheel.

Ken

Old 04-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #3

I am on four month, 9000 mile trip in my C. Downsized from A.
I travel alone and bring toad. Works well for ME.
Need to see what works well for YOU.
Borrow/rent and see.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
I am on four month, 9000 mile trip in my C. Downsized from A.
I travel alone and bring toad. Works well for ME.
Need to see what works well for YOU.
Borrow/rent and see.
What did you downsize from to?

Is this you first trip?

Is this type of travel in you future say on an annual basis?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

Hi Ed,

My wife and I FT in our Class C. Compared to a 5th wheel there is less room for the size. We tend to use the cab area for storage when camping. Also I would say most class c's are not suited for below freezing weather.

Carrying capacity suits me, not sure what you're going to bring with you. If you need more capacity then you might want to look at 30-32ft Class A. They seem to be coming more popular.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extended Travel or Fulltime in a Class C

If you can find one, a true fiberglass or metal sided class c has advantages if using for an extended period. (Better insulation, avoiding condensation inside walls, no worry of delamination, designed for extended use). Born Free, Lazy Daze, Chinook (glacier was the largest), Bigfoot are examples. Chinook is back in business with the Glacier as the first off the line again in a few months - prototype was built in Oregon and displayed at a rally recently). Folks who are part of our Chinook RV club even full time in the Chinook Concourse such as I own and they hold up very well but personally I would want something bigger for extended use - yet the 21 foot length is awesome for where it can be parked. I met a gentleman with a 2001 Winnebago Itasca C recommended for interim use who was full timing in it in Oregon and I was amazed at how rough of condition the sidewalls were in compared to my less used same year Fleetwood Jamboree I used to own and he had kept the roof from leaking. I expect inexpensive A's have the same limitations.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #7

We spend 6 months in our C. Just returned from our latest 6 month trip. Our is a 34' Super C. Plenty of room for all our stuff and living. Not sure I could do it in a smaller C. As stated by others. You may find a smaller Class a better choice.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
If you can find one, a true fiberglass or metal sided class c has advantages if using for an extended period. (Better insulation, avoiding condensation inside walls, no worry of delamination, designed for extended use).
The siding (aluminum of fiberglass) has little effect on the wall insulation. An aluminum frame will not be as thermally efficient as a wood frame.

What makes the difference is the wall thickness and insulation type and "R" factor.

True an aluminum sided unit will not have delamination.

Condensation is a separate issue and has to do with the interior air dew point and the temperature of the inner RV surface.

And a super C is a different beast from a regular C built on a Ford E350/450 chassis.

Ken
Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #9

Seems to me that one can full time in a C as I have read several blogs of folks doing it.

We are on our second C and I was lobbying for a short A until I read a couple of columns about the differences. It seems tires and general maintenance are easier to get on a C as the average auto dealer can change the oil and do whatever the recommended maintenance is on the drive train. Not so on the A. That gets a truck shop at higher hourly rates and bigger tires at higher costs all around. Then there is the issue of crash worthiness... But I still like the extra room in front. ;-)
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Seems to me that one can full time in a C as I have read several blogs of folks doing it.

We are on our second C and I was lobbying for a short A until I read a couple of columns about the differences. It seems tires and general maintenance are easier to get on a C as the average auto dealer can change the oil and do whatever the recommended maintenance is on the drive train. Not so on the A. That gets a truck shop at higher hourly rates and bigger tires at higher costs all around. Then there is the issue of crash worthiness... But I still like the extra room in front. ;-)
What year, make and model is your Class C? Also, what kind of toad do you have?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
What year, make and model is your Class C? Also, what kind of toad do you have?
Fourwinds 28Z. 2012 without looking. Bought new in 2013. That was an upsize from a Coachmen 22RK as we got tired of making up the beds. Looking at some 30 ft units with better storage as the closets are a bad joke in this one. OTOH it's nice to have room underneath. Tow either Ranger P/U or Ford Escape on a dolly.

FWIW - I really like the bedrooms with two closets and a vanity either on a slide or with the bed on the slide. Part of our criteria is to be able to use the unit without the slides out so we thought we would like the z. Figured out that the closets are too short for a short guy's shirt.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #12

I have. 2014 Lexington 265GTS. Ford V10. Tow Mini Cooper. Travel alone and have for past year. MPG avg 9+. No problems with heat. Currently in Mass and heading to Maine. Live in New Orleans. Downsized from Class A 34 ft ford V10.
Lexus fits in courtyard at home with no problems. Handy and agile.
As
My nephew says " Fit me"
Need to see what fits you.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #13

Oh! One month into four month 9000 mile trip with no regrets.
Fit me !

Tags
class c, fulltime, travel