Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
Extended Warranty

Members, picking up my Used RV in a week and the dealer is asking about an extended warranty.......the unit is a 2010 Dynamax Grand Sport 40 Gt. It has 18k miles, 100 hrs. On the generator. The unit looks to be in Extremely Good shape.
That being said...I looked at the extended contract and have seen what is covered...and then the 3 pages on what is not covered and why some of the covered things will not be covered....makes me go Hmmmmm.
Any advise out there...I know it is a risk not to get it...day 1 something could go sideways..but I think I have read somewhere that it is more likely to be a waste of money...

Jimmi V.

Jimmithev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
I too would like to hear people weigh in on this. We're picking up a 2015 C tomorrow and I'm still waffling on the idea of an extended warranty.

Darren, Donna & The Wieners
Four Winds 31L
Thor Motor Coach
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Extended Warranty

Good Sam is the best and least expensive. I blew an engine in Colorado last summer and they paid really great.
Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you buy the "warranty" directly from the vehicle manufacturer they are not a "warranty". They are a service contract with lots of fine print. Some come out ahead but most never recoup their cost. And usually lots of wiggle room in them to deny a claim.
That said, I follow Consumer Reports advice and don't buy them.
HOWEVER if it makes you feel better the they might pay you something then go ahead and get one.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
I decided not to get one...took one members advice...put the money aside that I was going to pay..us that.
Thanks everyone
Jimmi V.
Jimmithev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
We bought ours thru our dealer at the time of purchase and he gave it to us pretty much at his cost. Ours covers the MH house only bumper to bumper for 7 years with a $100 deductible. Some of the things on the MH have different lengths of new warranty, roof, slides, some components ect. and those warranties will still be used if in effect, with no deductible. The chassis is covered by Ford for 5 years, 60,000 miles so our warranty does not cover that as their is really no need and to add it would have cost a lot more for essentially two years more coverage. When the Ford warranty is expired we may look into something else. There are those who say it is a waste of money, but for me it is peace of mind for a big item issue, like the fridge going out, generator or electrical issues ect. Even if I never have to use it I will be a happy camper.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
I totally understand your dilemma. With our new MH I knew I would get an extended warranty, for personal comfort and because they have always been so good over the years, especially if you follow all the rules. The new warranty does not have coincidental coverage, I searched and could not find one with this. The salesman (all of them) say it covers everything but wear and tear. Really? Since you don't get to see a full written contract, and they are exceptionally hard to find on the net you really have to wonder. I did find the contract for the warranty which was promoted to me by Wholesale Warranties. I have done business with them for many years, they have great customer support, and I give them a high recommendation...but, the contract, if followed to the letter excludes a whole bunch of stuff previously covered. Example: the jack motors are covered, but what if when the motor goes out it bends the piston or damages the washers (or whatever, I don't know how those things work). I ended up with ExtraRide from the dealer as his price after negotiations came up best. It just makes me feel better having the coverage just in case. Your decision now.
Happy Trails.

kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote