Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Extended warranty

I’ve read the pros and cons of extended warranties and have decided that since I will be a solo, limited mechanical skills, full-timer...extended warranty makes sense.

I’ve got two exclusionary warranty proposals from Wholesale Warranties and RVing Solutions. Price wise about the same. Wholesale is 5 yrs /RVing is 8 years. Are there booby traps I should be aware of? Anyone share an experience with either company or recommend another warranty co.?

Picked up my 2016 Thor Freedom Elite 26FE 2 weeks ago and I’m on my shake down trip. so far so good 😀
JoieDeVivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Despite your self proclaimed lack of mechanical skills, extended warranties still don't make sense.

Take the money you are going to spend on the extended warranty and put it in a bank account. If you need repairs, access your account and pay for it. At the end of the coverage period you would have had for the extended warranty, you will still have money your account.

The biggest pitfalls in extended warranties is the failure to approve claims. Once they have your money, the "fine print" answer will be "its not covered" or "you didn't follow procedure". Your joie de vivre will disappear fast.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I’ve been pondering the same thing. My OEM warranty is up in July. Talking to a lot of folks the biggest issue I see is lack of control. With an extended warranty you can’t just get things fixed when you want, where you want and how you want.

I hear countless stories of folks waiting and waiting for approvals and even investigators taking days to report to the warranty company. And not being able to choose the repair shop of their choice.

That’s not my style. I like to be in control of a repair process.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Portfolio policy thru Wholesale Warranties. I have never had to wait for approval on any repair. I follow the rules for claims and have never had one denied. Three big repairs this year and all covered without delay for approval. I did have to wait for parts in all 3 cases.

I will not purchase another policy when this one is up, due to the age and mileage on the RV the cost is not worth it to me.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

Our extended warranty has paid for itself and then some, so we are all for it. We are lucky to have a great repair service just 10 miles away that does all the footwork of getting the warranty to work on our behalf!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
luvlabs : you’ve brought me right back to the crux of my indecision : warranty or no. I’m not the extended warranty type in every other situation however, this venture leads me to “what if” worst case scenarios.... everything fails at once or in rapid succession. I have $$$ aside for maintenance and minor repairs but major fix (s) would blow me off the road.

Creativepart: the best reviews - wholesale warranties and the best warranty, according to many, is a beast called an “exclusionary warranty” that covers everything that is not spelled out as an exclusion. But yeah, try reading, with comprehension, through the leaglease and it’ll bring you to luvlabs conclusion.

UFO: I’m not familiar with the Portfolio Policy, can you share a few of the finer points and why you chose it?

Campfire: who’s your warranty with?
JoieDeVivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I contacted Wholesale Warranties and they recommended the policy as providing the best coverage for my needs. So far I have been very happy with the coverage and they have paid every claim so far.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #8

First Extended Inc.
phone: 800-527-3426
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Generally, I run at the mention of extended warranty plans. However, with the amount of money we spent on our 2017 Sprinter, and concerns about the "what if's" after normal warranty expired, we bit the bullet and purchase a warranty plan. I'm ok with what we spent, but have not had to use it yet, but feel somewhat better knowing I have some remorse, when needed and if need later on.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Warranty

Is anyone familiar with Motorhome Protection, Emerald Sapphire warranty programs administered by NWAN out of Cleveland, OH? I just purchased a two year old class C Jayco Greyhawk ME 29, and the previous owner had purchased a 7 year warranty. There are still 5 years of bumper to bumper protection at 100 dollar deductible for an occurrence. I can purchase the remainder of this warranty for relatively cheap, but am not familiar with this particular company and administrator...
OzCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:52 AM   #11

You need to do a Google search for NWAN and read the complaints and reviews for yourself, then decide.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #12

For what its worth, I struggled with the Extended Warranty purchase on the new Class C I purchased. Being totally new to this, I elected to hedge my bets and go for one. I usually only buy them for appliances, as ours seem to be used quite heavily.

I was originally quoted one by the RV Dealer, which I thought was way too expensive (although I got him to drop $1K). I looked at all of the options out there, read the good stories and the bad, and finally went with Xtra-Ride Platinum (exclusionary). Was able to get a decent price for 84 months.

It's really a personal call, for sure, but when I looked at what it runs me a month (about $40) I figured the peace of mind alone is worth it. Just remember to read the details in terms of getting any prior authorizations. Good luck with the decision!
BobinChina03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had numerous warranties from various companies and have done ok. On the last 4 rvs (we buy gently used from dealers) the warranty was pretty much a break even deal. Currently we have a Good Sam warranty that we bought at Camping World and are about to go into arbitration. A full wall, lippert slide room failed on our Winnebago class A, costing around 4k. Good Sam's administrator Assurant only paid half, even though we followed all rules and had pre approval for the repair and facility.

I certainly will not renew with GS, but I am still not afraid of warranties. I like the piece of mind and we use our rvs alot. You should be careful if you are full time as that might create a problem with some providers.

Good luck,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #14

After reading their propaganda, the warranty is free from the dealer for the original owner. The catch is that the (or a RV shop) has to do an inspection and maintenance every year. From what I read, many complaints are that they call to get authorization for the inspection and are told that they do not need pre-approval, then have it done and the claim is denied for no pre-approval. The dealers use this as a method to get your coach in their doors at least once a year.

Scissor hacks are covered, hydraulic / air systems are not. Lots of exclusions.

Tags
extended warranty, warranty