Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
WDW

Extension cord

Outfitting our new MH ...wondering about the need to carry an extension cord? I should have paid closer attention in eighth grade electric shop class! Seems to me, using a 25 foot 30 amp extension cord on top of the motorhomes pigtail would lead to a lot of line loss.

Your expert advice is appreciated.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used an extra cord a few times; for instance when I wanted to park in the opposite direction that the site planners of the park had envisioned, (normally for a view) or the power pedestal is on the opposite side of the coach. Additionally, I used 3 power cords hooked together to power my bricks and sticks home in a power outage. These power cords are of the 10 gauge 50 amp variety, heavy to carry, not easy to stow, and expensive. Hope this helps you to consider your options available.
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
WDW

Thanks

I was looking at a 10g 25' camco cord at WALLY on line for around $35. Which beat CW and Amazon and came with free shipping.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

Most of the 30 amp extension cords are 10 gauge wire. The wire going into the pedestal is 10 or 12 gauge usually. Think how long that wire is. If you have resistance it will be the plugs. Keep them clean and free of oxidation and you are fine.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, using ONE extension cord will not normally lead to "A lot of Loss" as you put it,, it is, however, the most cord you want to use without either going to energy management or a cord upgrade (What is a cord upgrade.. using a 50 amp extension cord on a 30 amp rig)

I have run 100 foot 30 amp cords (But I was using 50 amp wire) and had no problems I was also only drawing about 15 amps,, But I did not know that would happen when I built the cord. Very happy with the result.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
WDW

I very much appreciate the feedback.

One of the things I've also read, is using a 50 amp adapter on a 30 amp cord because it times 30 amp plug at the pedestal is worn. By using the 50 socket you get a better connection for your 30 amp adapter cord.

Any thoughts on this and with using an extension cord?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I should tell you I carry both 30 and 50 amp shore cords for my 50 amp RV.

If I had to run a lot of extension I will use 50s as far as I can and go to 30 for the shore cord and practice limited usage (only had to do that once)

But if you can plug into a 50 amp outelt (And you have a 30 amp rig) then use a 50 amp cord for the extension. By all means, and put the dog bone as close to the RV as you can
Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Use a 30 amp or higher rated extension cord... loss is negligible up to about 100 feet because you are using alternating current through it. Your a/c compressor will load under a lower voltage and therefore pull more amps through the extension cord. So, it is better to use as short as possible extension, or not at all, for summer a/c use. Winter time the extension cord will merely supply charging voltage for the battery and 12v systems - NOT A PROBLEM! However, the best way so know whether your cord is sufficient for the job, go feel it with your hands... if it is hot to touch, then discontinue to use it. Hot to the touch will also mean that your plugs and all plastic parts will MELT i.e. YIKES ! Jest sayin.
mlo166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I carry the attached pigtail, 30' of 50 amp, then an add'l 30' of 50 amp, then 60' of 30 amp (two 30'), then 100' of 20 amp and an add'l 50' of 20 amp. If I even have to use it all, I'd only try running the battery charger to keep them up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I very much appreciate the feedback.

One of the things I've also read, is using a 50 amp adapter on a 30 amp cord because it times 30 amp plug at the pedestal is worn. By using the 50 socket you get a better connection for your 30 amp adapter cord.

Any thoughts on this and with using an extension cord?
This is what we do. I was rambling around in the clearance aisle at WallyWorld and found a 50 to 30 pigtail for next to nothing. I bought it and the DW complained about me and "my clutter." That was until we pulled into a site that had a well worn 30A plug in the pedestal and a pristine 50A plug. Used my pigtail and never had a worry.

I have used it other times when the 30A looked sketchy or questionable.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
This is what we have; 6g wire makes it kinduv bulky. Since making the purchase, however, we have not had the need to use it. Hmmmmm?

\ken

Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30' Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WDW,

It sounds like the length of cord you need is pretty short (30' or less). Have you thought about just digging a trench, laying some conduit and installing a small electrical ped? You'd never worry about it again. While you're at it, a nice hose connection out there would be neat as well.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re Using and adapter to plug a 30 amp rig into a 50 amp socket.

Works great, do not worry about the diference in the amprage, In THEORY it is possible to draw say 45 amps on that 30 amp cord and do major damage, but in PRACTICE that is not going to happen outside a test lab. AND since the cord is exposed, it can carry the additional current without overheating.

Also, in practice, there is a 30 amp breaker on the RV end of that cord.. So the major effect of using the 50 amp outlet with an adapter is .. if you trip the breaker, and it is raining cats and dogs out,, YOU WILL NOT GET WET resetting it. now I consider that a major PLUS.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #14
EV2

I doubt that using a 50 amp cord to a 30 amp cord accomplishes anything in that the 50 amp cord has the same gauge of wiring as the 30, but there are 2 120 leads instead of 1. But when you use a 50 to 30 adapter you are dropping one of the leads and using only one.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote