Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Feedback on 2014 Jayco Melbourne 29D?

Good morning! We recently fell in love with the RV lifestyle and are pursuing purchase of our first motorhome. We have looked at many units and test drove A and C class motorhomes. The 2014 Jayco Melbourne 29D has risen to the top of the list and we would be incredibly grateful for any user feedback on this model, as well as general advice on purchasing our first motorhome. Thanks so much!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

We have a 2012 Melbourne 29D that has been a very good RV up to this point. The two year warranty is almost up, with only a few minor issues that were taken care by the dealer. It could have a little more external storage and a bigger shower. A second air unit would be nice but not necessary. Still it is a nice RV that we love riding in and gets pretty good mpg with decent power towing a 2011 Chevy Equinox.
Thanks
Ralph

Ralph

Old 05-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2008 Jayco Melbourne since new. Jayco has upgraded the suspension for 2014 with J-ride which mine does not have. Positive move! Also available with levelers, another positive. I have had more Ford issues than Jayco issues. If you purchase, do two things immediately after loading for trip. Have alighnment checked on front end by a good truck shop! Then have it weighed either by each axle or 4 wheel separate is best. Use weight to accurately determine tire pressure on Michelin web site. Love mine, even after 7 years. Any questions? Will be glad to answer.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We really like the 2013 Melbourne 29D, it was very nicely furnished and classy styling. The deal killer for us was the microwave UNDER the cooktop! Just think about warming up your coffee, while DW is driving. You've gotta get on your hands & knees to reach in and get your cup. And how about your wife warming up the casserole---she needs 2 hands to bring the dish out, but she is on her knees---she yells at you to come help her (true story btw)---but geez your in the shower. Oooops. Another RV designed by some guy in China who never used an RV before! I understand why it's below the cooktop (the curved sides which make very nice looking)---but it's still a deal killer.
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #5

Thank You for your insights!

We pulled the trigger and purchased the 2014 Melbourne 29D. We pick it up Saturday! Thanks so much for those who provided feedback - it was incredibly helpful in making the decision!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations, you will love it! Just remember slow and steady as you learn. Watch out for tail swing as you start driving. After you get your stuff in it, weigh it at a CAT scale so that you know each axle weight, then compare to Michelin Tire web site for correct tire inflation. It makes a big difference in how it tracks. Next have the alighnment checked. Mine was way off, but the alighment made another big difference in road wandering when I drove. Buy some inexpensive foldup reflective windshield sun shades at Walmart to block direct sun when camping, it helps keep inside cool. Also remember the best mpg is at 55 miles per hour and I do not use cruise control when there are hills due to tranny constantly downshifting and reving. So what if I drop down to 48 mph on hills. Also, the tow- haul feature will become your best friend if you do have hills. Make a chart on how many amps each appliance pulls and post inside the upper cabinet above the sink, because 30 amps is limited when air conditioner, refrigerator, and hot water heater are on. My wife will plug in her hot hair curling iron and Pop, trip the breaker.
Life is good, enjoy!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
My personal chart, yours may vary. But it is a starting point.

Air conditioner 12.5 amps Elect water heater 12.5amps
microwave oven 12.5amps
Toaster 10amps Electric fry pan 10amps Hair dryer 10amps
electric iron 10amps
Coffee pot 9 amps electric fridge 4.5 amps TV 2 amps
Converter 1.5amps
Crock pot 1.5amps

I am sure there are other items, but this is mine.
Also, buy a surge protector for protection where you plug in. It has saved me twice!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Spend the extra $ and purchase an EMS instead of a surge protector. Better protection from more than surges.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app

B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, new buyer