Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fill valve busted

My fill /normal fresh water valve busted on me Sat. nite, fortunately it was at home .
I had both gas and electric heaters on, I don't know the exact time it happened.
The pump was running in the morning at 6AM .

My question is with the pump running, and no water to pump , could there be any damage to the pump?

Could the Electric Heater be affected with no water to heat ?
Same goes for the gas water heater?
What about the water heater itself.

What surprises await me ,when I replace the valve, I can remove the valve, (not a fun thing to remove ) .

Camping world doesn't have the part.

We were supposed to leave for Arizona this Monday morning May 9,
Don't think it's gonna happen.

This is the second time ,we had to abort our trip.

I truly believe it is not meant for us to travel by motor home.

I've owned this VIEW since Jan. of this year, I,WE , have yet to enjoy it.

Any help in locating a valve in South east Michigan ( Dearborn ) ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:08 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would recommend joining the Winnebago "skinnie Winnies" yahoo group and look for a good answer there if you don't get one here. The valve you mention is a potential weak spot. You can get the part from Winnebago and there are 3rd parties available. Some owners on that site have converted to a gravity fill for the water tank rather than the fill from the city water connection, bypassing the valve you mention.

As for the other items, the hot water heater is gas and electric in a single 6 gallon unit. There are switches for either mode on the main control panel near the kitchen. In either case you should never run it with an empty hot water heater. It may have caused damage if you did. You can test that once you have water in the hot water tank to confirm that it still works.

The pump may be damaged if it ran dry for as long as you mention. You can test it as well. Check the little water strainer at the pump to make sure there is no debris after you get the water filled. You can also test the pump from the winterizing pick up tube and a milk jug of water.

The sureflo pump Winnebago used is very common. There are inexpensive rebuild kits for the seals or new pumps readily available.

Winnebago has good access in their website to download the manuals for the view if you have lost them. The manuals contain pretty good instructions as well as real photos for your RV rather than generic ones that I have had with other manufacturers.

Best wishes. We enjoy our View, just returning from an Oregon coast camping trip with my teenage son and his friends. We did a 3,000 mile trip last summer and have another one planned this summer. It's a good coach.

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
fill valve bsted

Wanderso, You were the only one, to chime in on my problem , that I was having with my FILL VALVE.
And I thank You ,again.
I made phone calls to General RV in Brownstown ,Mi. and even called winnebago directly.

General told me , they were out of stock on that valve , they also told me that the manufacture (Winnebago ) , was in the same boat ,no stock.

When I called winnebago ,after getting no where ,I was finally directed to
"Max " ,I guess He was a tech, He was very helpful, He told me they had 5 valves in stock. I wonder why I was told by General RV that there was none to be found ? Even thou ,He didn't solve my problem, Max , gave me some good pointers.
Max connected me to parts , I was put on hold , then I was told, to leave my info,which I did .

Some 5 hours later, I did talk to parts , was told the part would cost $24.00 dollars, plus shipping , would take anywhere from 5 to 7 days ,
after they got it from their warehouse. Needless to say I was not a happy
Camper ( pun intended).

Well Here's what I did to fix the problem, I went to my good friend,and master plumber buddy, Mike Mango ,of Mango Plumbing ,of Redford MI.
Sorry if plugs are not allowed.

The little plastic nut, just under the handle is what cracked.
My remedy was a Nut from a Delta pop up assembly ,the kind you have in your bathroom sink. It's the nut that holds the popup rod to the drain tube. The threads were a perfect match , the only problem was the hole in the nut ,was a wee bit to large, so I added a thin washer to make the hole smaller.
Now who wooda thunk it.

If you went your local plumber, and had to buy a complete popup Assembly , you could have this fix done in ,literately ,10 minutes,just pry off the little handle ,remove the busted plastic nut, put what I just described ,and presto your back in business.

All this was done after ,I busted my knuckles , took the entire panel completely out, to access and remove the valve. I spent many , many hours to finally figure out this simple fix, so others won't have to go through what I did.

I truly hope nobody has this problem ,but if they do ,now they know the rest of the story.

Now we are off to ARIZONA,(Fingers crossed )
Old 05-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
fill valve busted

This is the part # for fill valve fix.

Delta faucet RP 6132 Pivot nut.

Happy Camping .

John M
Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great work! I likely will buy that part to have a spare on hand. It would be a big bummer to break it on the road when switching to fill the tank. Enjoy your trip!
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #6

We had the same exact issue. I found another valve at a local rv shop and cannibalized the but.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:29 AM   #7

There is a part in one of our videos showing the valve and fix for those interested. https://youtu.be/vk0DXr6fQHM
Old 05-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
johnfran- On a side note. Recommend you turn the water pump off when not in use. If a valve fails or line leaks it will not flood the RV, or run the pump with no water. Also turn off shore water hose at the faucet when you leave the RV for the same reason.
And, turn off water heater when you retire for the evening, tank normally holds the heat and does not take long to temp up in the morning. A leak draining the tank could damage the heating element or tank.. (if your water pump "burps" very few minutes, you have a leak somewhere)

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote