Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
First time RV'ing

We are renting a 30ft calss C mh from cruise america. Moving from GA to CA We never MH'd before. I have allot of great links and videos on turning, backing, hills, winds, weather and such. And I am sure we will be given plenty of instructions when we go pick up (June). I have gas buddy and walk mart camping sites as well as other camping sites with hook ups and such. But I still have lots of thoughts and questions. We are going with kids 6,13 and pets- dogs and cats. All pets will be crated for the ride and we will gage that neccasaety with the dogs and what they allow. (CA knows- pets are allowed) I have maps galore (thanks AAA and google). Takeing 40 across and 99 up ca. Driving around 8 hours a day. Checking out campsite on line and in forum. Our only really planned stop is Metor Crator, AZ. We wouldd love to do more, but with pets in the MH I wont feel comfy going to like grand canyon ect.

But I am courious as to the storage on the MH. Oh we are towing a hatchback. (is that a toad?) Of course the adults are not taking much and the girls are having a hard time trying to part with things.

Also the generator is 3$ an hour. We will we be using the generaotr and can we get across with out it?

Can I plug my phone into the charger lol. Sorry no long battery life there.

There is no tv so we are getting aportable DVD player and arts and craft stuff.

Can passagners use toilet while you are driving? (sorry so new at this)

Any other info for me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
The good thing is you are renting one. Which means you will love it or hate it. Also if you love it and decide to buy one you will know what to look for. Yes on the toilet, yes to the cell phone but on the toad, is it tow able all four down, with a dolly or trailer. This you need to check out way before you leave. Know what I mean? You might look at some sort of a GPS too. Here is good site for information on your car. Application Charts | Remco Towing Good luck and keep us informed.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Just a few tips

Hope you have a great time traveling across country and enjoy the CA sun! Here are a few tips that might help:

1. Drive on the top half of your gas tank.
2. Flying J Travel Stations are a great place to gas up (many have RV lanes)
3. Better to stop early during daylight hours
4. Downshift, Downshift, Downshift, on down grades
5. Don't push it too hard on up grades, take what it gives you even if it's only
30 mph (or less).
6. Have fun, take your time, and don't be afraid to stop and take in the sights.

By the way: I40 will take you through Amarillo, TX which is very close to Palo Duro Canyon State Park (Little sister to the Grand Canyon). There is a nice RV Park a few miles from the park. Palo Duro Canyon is host to the Musical "Texas" that starts playing at the outdoor Amphitheater in June each year. Here are a few websites for more information if you're interested:

State Park: TPWD: Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Texas Musical:Texas Show
Palo Duro RV Park: Palo Duro RV Park
Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cruise America charges you $3/hr to use the genny? Plus it will cost you another $1/hr for the fuel it eats. OUCH! Needing A/C other than the dash will depend on the outside temp and your family's heat tolerance. You might pick up a few 12 volt fans that plug into the cigarette lighter/power outlets. Keeping the air moving will help. Much of I-40 is thru really dry country. A damp cloth or a spritz of water combined with the fan really helps cool the body.

You might be wise to rent the moho for a day or two, if you can, and test your pet's reactions. Our puppy was car sick the first 4 times I turned the motor on. A Thundershirt really helped her get over it. Check out the RVing with pets forum here for more advice.

Will more than one person be driving? I find driving the moho much more stressful than a car, and you will want to drive slower, also. Crosswinds will wear you out much quicker.

Just off i-40 in Arizona is the Painted Desert, which is mostly a drive thru site. At the southern entrance is a free RV park. Or, you can park free on almost any National Forest Land as long as you are 1/4 mile off the paved road.

You qnd your family will have a great adventure. Hope it is a positive one.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #5

well I had a nice long thank you reply all done and it didn't post. Phooey.

thanks for the tips and information.

The tow package came with CA. BF is going to be checking with them to make sure that its a dolly style, something about front wheel drive having to do something or another. (that is his expertise)

thos places look amazing, thanks for the heads up.

Yea the generator is what it is I guess. Glad to know I can use the dash plugs. What about when hooked up at a camp site. that means not runnign the generator correct?

thanks all. ..
Old 03-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #6

You will not need to run the generator when you get to whatever campsite you are staying at (assuming that they have electric). If you stay at state parks you will find that there are different types of sites. Most will have electric (either 30 amp or 50 amp - know which one your unit uses), water and then they may or may not have sewer. But almost all will have a dump station even if there is not a sewer hookup at the pad.

You and your traveling companion should make a checklist of what needs to be done when you arrive at a site and what needs to be done when you leave. That way you don't forget anything (i.e. drive off with the electric, water or sewer still attached or tv antenna still up).

A couple of other things to think about:

1. Always use a spotter when backing up
2. Slower is better - its usually when RV'ers start hurrying up that things go wrong
3. Don't just look behind you when backing, don't forget to look above you! Tree limbs and other low hanging items can ruin your day
4. Always walk around your RV everytime you leave a location (make sure all outside compartment doors are shut, awnings are in etc)
5. Things will go wrong/not work - have a basic set of tools available and spare patience!
6. Know where all the breakers are for the coach
7. Make sure you can reach the hookups before you level the coach
8. Even though its not yours - check the tire pressure, fluids etc - religiously
9. Have fun!

I would definitely suggest staying at State Parks. The scenery is so much nicer and you will feel more secluded than you would at a KOA or other commercial campground.

Oh, one more thing -- driving an RV for 8 hours a day is pretty ambitious. My personal limit is 6 hours. As a driver you can get pretty worn out (especially if its a windy day or climbing through the mountains). Just my $.02 worth!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #7

Great check list!! Thanks for posting that. I figred 4 hrs for me and 4 hrs for him driving should make a nice trip.

Oh the dogs adapt well to sitationa nd the cats are disfunctional but we have travel plans for them to make it less stressful.

thanks again for that check list. Never really thgouth of some of that.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #8

X2 on the checklist! Here is a website I use to help me remember everything I want or need to do for a trip. It sounds like you and your family are in for a wonderful adventure. Enjoy! Keep in touch and let us know how your trip is going!

http://www.rvchecklist.info/
Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Do you have a Kindle? If so, you might want to download this book. Cost I believe is $2.99. I have not read it but it has great reviews. I kind of know the person that wrote it. Amazon.com: My House Has Wheels eBook: Chris Poindexter: Kindle Store
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Do you have a Kindle? If so, you might want to download this book. Cost I believe is $2.99. I have not read it but it has great reviews. I kind of know the person that wrote it. Amazon.com: My House Has Wheels eBook: Chris Poindexter: Kindle Store
Just finished reading it. Thanks for the tip We are new to RV ownership and learning as we go. Great forum.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #11

I do not but I will see what I can find elsewere. thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
Oh, one more thing -- driving an RV for 8 hours a day is pretty ambitious. My personal limit is 6 hours. As a driver you can get pretty worn out (especially if its a windy day or climbing through the mountains). Just my $.02 worth!

Amen to that. I thought sure I can handle driving a car for 10 hours plus I can do the same in the RV. After just 5 hours on an 8 hour trip I was done. Fatigue set in fast as I was battling winds and mountains at the same time. We stopped for a rest at a Walmart and continued on the next morning. Still got were we were going and it was much more relaxing with the rest.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri330 View Post
X2 on the checklist! Here is a website I use to help me remember everything I want or need to do for a trip. It sounds like you and your family are in for a wonderful adventure. Enjoy! Keep in touch and let us know how your trip is going!

RV Check List
Thanks this is great info.. I got a trip coming up to Indianapolis from Boston.. In June.. Love the check list...

Tags
rving