Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use google maps to plan our trips. It's easy to build multiple segments as well as see what is available along the way for the trip. I bring a cellular data capable iPad for the trip. Comes in handy.

As for longer trips like you are thinking in a short timeframe, there are folks that do them in a class C RV like what you have. Check out this blog for some interesting stories.

http://www.cross-country-trips.com

If you are able to ride a bike, get a hitch mounted bike carrier, buy some inexpensive bikes at Target or the like (so you aren't disappointed if they get damaged or stolen; I paid $70 each) and bring them along. I found them to really expand the experience at camp and on trips and make getting to transit stops and such easier. We also tow a vehicle on occasion, but enjoy both options.

Get one of those collapse able garbage cans such as found on Amazon. Useful for while in camp. Get a water pressure reducer for your drinking water hose. Get an RV surge protector that connects between your 30 amp RV shore power connector and the camp pedestal. Also get a 30 to 15 amp adapter in case you need it ( don't run AC when plugged to a 15 amp circuit).

Our longest trip so far was Portland, Oregon to Yellowstone. We planned out all the stops on the way out and purposely did not plan them on the way back to see the difference. Both were enjoyable for different reasons. Both brought us seeing places of interest that were new. Bring a GPS; get some paper maps too. Don't just rely on a smart phone; data coverage is not universal. If you buy coach-net (I recommend) for assistance, call them and they will send you maps and such for free for your trip.

A bit of our experience on that trip is here and you'll see the google maps segments.

http://www.andersonadventures.com/ad...es/Images.html

Finally, I've found RV park reviews to also be helpful when researching places to stay. Mix it up. We really like state campgrounds when they work for our trips; have done a little bit of dry camping but admit they were still in a campground. Some here stay overnight along the way at wal-mart, truck stops, Cracker Barrel restaurants, etc.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com

And

freecampsites.net.

Enjoy your new adventures! Take lots of pictures - being sure to have family in much of them. Keep in touch with friends along the way and make some new acquaintances along the way.

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
rv helpfulls.

I would suggest to plan each day and do not drive to late in the day, The wife and I like to plan our night stop and she looks and decides which campground is close and not to far off our path of travel. We like to be parked, hooked up, and if weather permits in the chairs unwinding by about 4-5 pm. depending on time of darkness. Don't try and load down with food for your trip. There will be plenty of available stores to purchase your needs. remember everything adds weight to haul. Not sure about your weather at the home base you may be in an area that requires the motorhome to be winterized meaning the carrying of water is a no no until you get south far enough to prevent freezing. This is also concerning for your return if getting back home while freezing. You can always stop at an rv store and get needed anti freeze for the trip back to the home base. I also have a list of things to check before leaving the camp site such as power cords, water hoses, tv antenna and all other things I might have taken out and checking the storage compartments. I clip this list to the steering wheel so I have to acknowledge it before driving off. Oh have a great time and enjoy your freedom . The wife and I have been on two, long trips so far and loved it. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I recommend checking you tube for RV videos. They explain turning differences for left and right turns. Also helps those that learn better with visual aids see and understand them. They have safe driving videos that help you to understand how to be safe pulling away from fuel pumps so you do not damage your RV or the pump.
Safe travel.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #32

I would like to echo, and emphasize, the suggestion by Porchracer in regards to winterizing the RV. Seeing as how your postings stated you are from NYC and your plans are to travel soon, and with the winter we have been having in the northeast, this is important. If the lines freeze and burst it can put a damper on the fun. Check with the dealer, the RV should have been winterized. Also ask if it has a hot water tank winterization bypass installed. You need to be aware of this before adding water.

The process to winterize is moderately simple. First dump all water tanks, fresh and waste. Then find the low point drains, open them and the taps and drain the water from the system. Use this opportunity to drain and flush the hot water tank and inspect and, if needed, replace the anode rod. Blow the water lines out with low pressure (<40lbs) air. Close the taps and drains and then refill the lines only with RV safe antifreeze (this is where the hot water tank bypass comes in). Refilling is typically done by placing a tube (that is hooked to the intake side of the water pump) into the antifreeze jug and turn on the pump. Antifreeze is then run through all taps until the pink comes out. The RV safe antifreeze is the pink stuff you can find at any RV store or Walmart. It only takes a couple of gallons. To de-winterize involves copious amounts of fresh water through the system. As always, do a search on iRV2 for more info about winterization.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
I would just stress safety, safety, safety. If tired when driving pull over in a rest area, truck stop, etc and take a nap, make coffee and then go on. Lots of people sleep in Walmart parking lots and such.

Last, pets are great, I have well behaved dogs, but cats can be their own masters.

Enjoy, Bob
Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Take your time and don't drive any faster than you are comfortable with. You'll get much better fuel economy and perhaps enjoy your trip too. Our first trip in our motorhome was from PA to Washington state and back. We had a fifth wheel prior, but never a class A, so there was a steep learning curve on that trip...... We have lot's of stories to tell. If you would like to camp here for a few days to get the hang of it, you are welcome to stop by. We're about 45 minutes off of rt 81 (35 miles NW of Harrisburg, PA) on your way south. We can give you electric and water and a place to park. Public transportation though is not available... Don
Thanks!! That is such a nice offer!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
I use google maps to plan our trips. It's easy to build multiple segments as well as see what is available along the way for the trip. I bring a cellular data capable iPad for the trip. Comes in handy. As for longer trips like you are thinking in a short timeframe, there are folks that do them in a class C RV like what you have. Check out this blog for some interesting stories. http://www.cross-country-trips.com If you are able to ride a bike, get a hitch mounted bike carrier, buy some inexpensive bikes at Target or the like (so you aren't disappointed if they get damaged or stolen; I paid $70 each) and bring them along. I found them to really expand the experience at camp and on trips and make getting to transit stops and such easier. We also tow a vehicle on occasion, but enjoy both options. Get one of those collapse able garbage cans such as found on Amazon. Useful for while in camp. Get a water pressure reducer for your drinking water hose. Get an RV surge protector that connects between your 30 amp RV shore power connector and the camp pedestal. Also get a 30 to 15 amp adapter in case you need it ( don't run AC when plugged to a 15 amp circuit). Our longest trip so far was Portland, Oregon to Yellowstone. We planned out all the stops on the way out and purposely did not plan them on the way back to see the difference. Both were enjoyable for different reasons. Both brought us seeing places of interest that were new. Bring a GPS; get some paper maps too. Don't just rely on a smart phone; data coverage is not universal. If you buy coach-net (I recommend) for assistance, call them and they will send you maps and such for free for your trip. A bit of our experience on that trip is here and you'll see the google maps segments. http://www.andersonadventures.com/ad...es/Images.html Finally, I've found RV park reviews to also be helpful when researching places to stay. Mix it up. We really like state campgrounds when they work for our trips; have done a little bit of dry camping but admit they were still in a campground. Some here stay overnight along the way at wal-mart, truck stops, Cracker Barrel restaurants, etc. http://www.rvparkreviews.com And freecampsites.net. Enjoy your new adventures! Take lots of pictures - being sure to have family in much of them. Keep in touch with friends along the way and make some new acquaintances along the way.

This is great advice & I can't wait to check out the links. Our plan was to quickly get down to GA and from there slowly make our way westward. I
Old 12-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman07 View Post
I would like to echo, and emphasize, the suggestion by Porchracer in regards to winterizing the RV. Seeing as how your postings stated you are from NYC and your plans are to travel soon, and with the winter we have been having in the northeast, this is important. If the lines freeze and burst it can put a damper on the fun. Check with the dealer, the RV should have been winterized. Also ask if it has a hot water tank winterization bypass installed. You need to be aware of this before adding water. The process to winterize is moderately simple. First dump all water tanks, fresh and waste. Then find the low point drains, open them and the taps and drain the water from the system. Use this opportunity to drain and flush the hot water tank and inspect and, if needed, replace the anode rod. Blow the water lines out with low pressure (<40lbs) air. Close the taps and drains and then refill the lines only with RV safe antifreeze (this is where the hot water tank bypass comes in). Refilling is typically done by placing a tube (that is hooked to the intake side of the water pump) into the antifreeze jug and turn on the pump. Antifreeze is then run through all taps until the pink comes out. The RV safe antifreeze is the pink stuff you can find at any RV store or Walmart. It only takes a couple of gallons. To de-winterize involves copious amounts of fresh water through the system. As always, do a search on iRV2 for more info about winterization.
Thanks - the RV was winterized already and he is dewinterizing for us but this really helps!
We are going to pick up tomorrow and spend the day in the lot practicing driving and parking and backing up etc.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchracer View Post
I would suggest to plan each day and do not drive to late in the day, The wife and I like to plan our night stop and she looks and decides which campground is close and not to far off our path of travel. We like to be parked, hooked up, and if weather permits in the chairs unwinding by about 4-5 pm. depending on time of darkness. Don't try and load down with food for your trip. There will be plenty of available stores to purchase your needs. remember everything adds weight to haul. Not sure about your weather at the home base you may be in an area that requires the motorhome to be winterized meaning the carrying of water is a no no until you get south far enough to prevent freezing. This is also concerning for your return if getting back home while freezing. You can always stop at an rv store and get needed anti freeze for the trip back to the home base. I also have a list of things to check before leaving the camp site such as power cords, water hoses, tv antenna and all other things I might have taken out and checking the storage compartments. I clip this list to the steering wheel so I have to acknowledge it before driving off. Oh have a great time and enjoy your freedom . The wife and I have been on two, long trips so far and loved it. Good luck and enjoy.
I've been debating what to do about the food situation so this really helps.

We are leaving from NYC area and want to make it quickly down to Savannah GA and then start taking our time and sightseeing.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velroc View Post
I would just stress safety, safety, safety. If tired when driving pull over in a rest area, truck stop, etc and take a nap, make coffee and then go on. Lots of people sleep in Walmart parking lots and such. Last, pets are great, I have well behaved dogs, but cats can be their own masters. Enjoy, Bob
Thanks for the advice I agree 100% that cats are definitely their own masters as well as our masters! We've just added a third driver (my brother) and that should help cut down on the time anyone spends behind the wheel.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
I recommend checking you tube for RV videos. They explain turning differences for left and right turns. Also helps those that learn better with visual aids see and understand them. They have safe driving videos that help you to understand how to be safe pulling away from fuel pumps so you do not damage your RV or the pump. Safe travel. Paul
Wow - I can't even say how much this has helped! Thanks!
We've been watching videos for the past hour and it's been a great learning tool!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #40

I just want to thank everyone who offered advice and tips here - I've taken each bit of advice seriously and have a bunch of notes. We are picking the RV up tomorrow and will be given a training course in the morning that will cover all the systems and how to do everything RV system related. We then are going to spend the ENTIRE day practicing driving and parking on the dealers lot. Luckily my brother has decided to join us and he has experience driving vans and box trucks so he will do most of the driving until my husband and I are more comfortable. We will leave the RV parked in the dealers garage tomorrow night and then head out after rush hour on Wednesday! We've taken the advice from this forum and have decided to not zoom down to GA as originally planned but will stop in NJ at my aunts for a night or two (we will speak to the dealer about the water and temps) and practice driving some more and getting the hang of everything. I'm very excited and a bit nervous but feel much better informed thanks to all of you and your advice!! Thanks again
Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
good advise!!

Welcome newbe! So are we. You have gotten some really good advise. Am just courious. Do you have a generator? If so, make sure that it is running properly. In your part of the country, it would help with the heat while on the road. Keeps those cats warm. Sure hope your trip goes really well! Stay safe! Take your time and enjoy!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by echohill View Post
Welcome newbe! So are we. You have gotten some really good advise. Am just courious. Do you have a generator? If so, make sure that it is running properly. In your part of the country, it would help with the heat while on the road. Keeps those cats warm. Sure hope your trip goes really well! Stay safe! Take your time and enjoy!
Thanks - the generator in the RV didn't work so they first tried to repair it but couldn't so they found us a "new" used/rebuilt one and have put that one in. According to the dealer it is working perfectly and all systems are a go so I'm excited to see how it all works tomorrow.

Have you taken any trips yet?