Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Flat screen TV mounting in Class C.

I had a 32" flat screen custom mounted in a 2003 class C RV. The TV was already installed when I bought the RV last year. We took a trip out West (from Indiana) last year and covered many miles. We went over some rough interstate roads along the way and TV quit working, I think due to the constant jarring. I pulled off the TV today and I am looking to replace it. I've included a couple pictures of the current mounting hardware. I am wondering if there may be a better mounting arrangement which provides some "shock" absorption for the TV. Also, I am not sure how the previous owner got the TV connected to the mounting hardware. The only way I could get the TV off was to bust it off
I am thinking of a swivel type mount such as the one below. I am not sure how I would mount this so that the TV is centered on the cabinet opening. Perhaps I would mount it center of the opening. Does this look like a good solution? Any suggestions?
Amazon.com: VideoSecu ML531BE TV Wall Mount for most 22"-55" LED LCD Plasma Flat Screen Monitor up to 88 lb VESA 400x400 with Full Motion Swivel Articulating 20 in Extension Arm, HDMI Cable & Bubble Level WP5: Electronics

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_130600.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	125655  
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
While the TV bracket from Amazon is probably a fine product, it really doesn't do what you want. You're looking for a TV bracket that will dampen vibration, which that one doesn't do. Not really sure if it's available, perhaps fastening the bracket to a block of rubber or something that will isolate and reduce bouncing.

Have you weighed the RV and adjusted tires for weight? Often tire shops inflate to maximum PSI. The tire pressures should be adjusted for the actual load the tires are carrying. After weighing RV, tire inflation tables are available on tire manufacturer's website.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #3

I am a new rv owner so pardon my ignorance. Where would I go to weigh my rv? Should I weigh it with my tow vehicle hooked up? And lastly, do I weigh the entire rv at once or each axle separately?
I've also got air rise suspension on the rear which I am not sure how to adjust.
Thanks
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Getting your RV weighed is not too big of an issue. Most all truck stops have CAT scales. The problem with them is you are usually hemmed in by barriers and can only get axle weights. If you have a feed store or grain elevator, lumber yard, etc. you can often find a scale that would allow you to weigh each corner, or at least one side, subtraction would give the corner weights.

You might also check with the state police, they often leave scales open at weigh stations and you can drive through when they aren't weighing trucks and read the display yourself. State police also often have portable scales in the trunk of their cars that could do your weight.

The air springs are probably helper springs, not the primary suspension like many Class A diesels. Those bags are usually inflated to keep RV level when all loaded. No need to weigh with your toad, it probably puts minimum weight on the receiver if it's towed 4 down, if on a dolly, you could get the tongue weight using a bathroom scale.

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...NlVBoC6DHw_wcB

Locate truck scales, truckstops, truck service centers, and diesel prices

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #5

I had similiar situation. Took a piece of 1/2 in. plywood to cover the opening, and cut a 3x6 inch opening for cable access. Then I attached a piece of 2x4 behind the plywood and mounted the same or similiar articulating mount to that. For traveling, I put an eye bolt at each side of the plywood and used a bungee cord to secure the TV from excess motion. Have had it for approx. a year going over some rough patches of highway with no problems.
billdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do it just like billdawg said and you should be fine. I did the same thing when we had our DP. The most important thing is to fasten it snug when you're underway!
Good luck!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

That looks great. I went another route since I will never use the over cab bunk-

you can check itout here.

suicidetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #8

Hockey?
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #9

Yes hockey, my wife and I are huge Red Wings fans.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #10

In the bedroom i removed a cabinet dorr and then cut a 3/4" think piece of plywood to replace the cabinet front and mounted a 32" on it.

Tags
class c, scr