Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #1

Fleetwood Jamboree not charging while plugged in

So I bought a 32' Fleetwood Jamboree sport about a year ago, sadly I haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like yet. Ive taken it camping three times no issues. It's been plugged in to shore power for the last 4 months and I (like a knuckle head) haven't tried to start it since.
I tried to start it and it needed jumped, but my question is why isn't it charging?
any Ideas would be appreciated, I am fairly new to this thing so don't be surprised If I turn out to be an Idiot.

thank y'all in advance.
Jabber00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

It is not necessarily the case that the coach charging system, typically a converter that takes 110V AC to 12VDC to power your coach lights, etc., and charge the coach batteries, will charge your chassis battery. On some rigs there is a solenoid operated switch that will allow bidirectional charging. That is if the coach batteries are charging and full then pass excess current to the chassis battery; if the engine is running and the chassis battery is full, then pass excess current to the house batteries. This system is used primarily to keep your coach from running down your chassis battery leaving you in a position where you can't start the engine and head on down the road.

So, first thing to look for: does your coach have this sort of device? In mine it is under the passenger seat. In yours: I have no idea but I'm sure someone here will weigh in. Is it faulty? I'm thinking obviously this is where the problem exists. You can check this by leaving it plugged in and putting a voltmeter on the battery. Should see something over 13V as that is what the converter charger will put out in float mode. If you don't see 13V on the batteries then the coach is not charging the chassis battery.

You didn't tell us about your coach batteries. Do you have lights in the coach? Same thing there: if you put a voltmeter on the coach batteries and you are plugged in you should see a bit over 13V.

And it could be that your chassis battery isn't functioning anymore! The house is trying to keep it charged but can't. Thus the engine won't start.

With more information we can help you better!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Most newer RVs will charge the house and chassis batteries when a charging voltage (+13.7) volts is detected. You didn't mention what year your RV is, so I can't do the research for you. I'd take voltage readings of all batteries, then plug into shore power. Take voltages again. If you don't see an increase in voltage, then you know the converter/charger isn't connected or working. It might just be a tripped breaker on the converter/charger box. You could also look online for your make/model of C/C and find a manual for it. If you find an increase in the house battery but not the chassis battery, it either indicates your battery isolation relay isn't working or you don't have one.

Do you have a 'boost' switch on the dashboard or under the edge of the dash? That would indicate you have a relay that connects chassis and house batteries. The relays are often in a box under the hood with chassis fuses and relays.

If you go to the tab 'User CP', on the left side you'll see an option to 'Edit Signature'. There you can add details about you, your RV, or anything else you want to have appear in each of your posts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:54 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum. We're sorry that it took a problem to get you to join us, but we hope that you will stay engaged with us after you have a resolution to your problem.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like your coach has no way to charge chassis (or engine battery, if you prefer) when plugged into shore power. This isn't unusual and easily fixed. You can either use a Tric-L-Start or Amp-L-Start device to provide charging to your chassis battery via the charging circuit for the house batteries. If you are handy, you can install these devices yourself.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, fleetwood