Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Jamboree Sway

Hi all,

I am sure if a read through the thousands of posts, I could probably find a discussion thread on sway. I just bought my Class C a couple weeks ago and while driving I noticed quite a bit of sway and wandering with the dips in the road,etc. I remember reading somewhere about steering sway bars? do they help enough to make a difference? Are they worth installing? Any recommendations on which are good/bad? Any help to reduce my white knuckle driving would be appreciated.

Dutch
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had the same problem with our Aspect. I bought the SteerSafe system, it improved the handling about 95%. Worth every penny. I got ours through Camping World when it was on sale.

Steer Safe
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replace shocks with Blisteins or Koni. I understand one side can be a PIA to do. My tire shop made an offer I couldn't refuse to do mine.

Replace the front and rear sway bars. Might do the fronts then run a trip and decide if you want to do the rear. Little over $400 both for Hellwig at SDTrucksprings.com. Not too difficult to DIY. Figure about The better part of a day to instal.

Alingment at a shop that understands MH and their handling problems. May Need a camber kit install to get it set right. Don't rely on Ford specs as you are running the chassis fully loaded all the time.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with the E450 Ford Chassis is that the anti-roll bars and shock absorbers are not nearly heavy enough to controll the body roll. With the FOrd Front suspension, everytime the body rolls, you have to correct the steering. So down the road you roll see-sawing back and forth.

The best fix is to put on heavier antiroll bars with urethane bushings (both front and rear) and hevy duty Bilstein shock absorbers.

Also, load the coach as for travel and have the front end aligned at an independent truck shop...not a Ford shop. Another thing on the class C units is to not trave with water tanks full. Especially the fresh water tank as it is usually behind the rear alxle which will tend to unload the front axle and cause the steering to be light.

Steering dampers and such will mask the symptom, but will not cure the illness.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

2009 E450 Fleetwood Jamboree 26Q with slideout. Towing with gas, water and 350 pounds tongue weight. Rear airbags helped me a lot with sway, ride and rear sag. I run 30 PSI without trailer and 60 PSI with. I installed myself for less than $300.
Timondirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just bought my Fleetwood and first thing I noticed was the sway. Bought an anti-sway bar for the rear. 1 3/8 inch diameter bar with neoprene bushings. Talked to dealer service department and they told me to save my money because the bar would be no help. I own it now so I am going to put it on anyway. Can't hurt. Then I will go from there. Baby steps.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #7

Agree install it mine is 1 1/2 I looked Moog online bought blue poly bushings
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Listen, I had the issue on my 1999 Minnie Winnie. And I posted above, the solution is front and rear anti-roll bars (much larger than the factory units) with urethane bushings and Bilstein shocks. I had added the rear air bags and they did help a little. The anti-roll bars and shocks were the biggest help. It made the coach so that it was easily drivable with one hand in cross winds and passing trucks were no bother.

The steering dampers may help, but it is simply masking the true problem, which is the side to side rocking of the body on the chassis. With the steering geometry of the F450, when the coach rolls to the side, the front end geometry changes and requires a steering correction which results in a see-sawing steering approach.

So go ahead and add the anti-roll bar and get one for the front as well. Also get some good HD shocks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the advice, Ken. I'm thinking the bars & bushings are my next step. I've had the radius arm bushings and ball joints replaced, camber kit installed, and an alignment by a truck shop. A tad better but still way more play than I like. I wish I could tighten up the "on center" feel... I can move the wheel quite a bit before action happens but then it sets up a "correct & over correct" cycle if I'm not really careful. Definitely have to "actively" drive the thing. The rig is only 12 years old with ~35K on the clock.

Any suggestion on bar diameters to use?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford twin-I-beam suspension will always have some vagueness in the steering near center...nature of the beast. When you get an alignment, make sure that the coach is loaded like for normal travel. Also run the tire pressure where they are loaded per the tire manufacturers chart. Most class C's are near capacity, so us the tire pressure rating per the chassis manufacturers sticker.

Ken
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks again, Ken.
It was loaded about right when aligned, and I do keep the pressures right around doorjamb sticker level (65 front, 80 rear, IIRC)

Any idea what a good "upgraded" swaybar diameter would be?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
Just bought my Fleetwood and first thing I noticed was the sway. Bought an anti-sway bar for the rear. 1 3/8 inch diameter bar with neoprene bushings. Talked to dealer service department and they told me to save my money because the bar would be no help. I own it now so I am going to put it on anyway. Can't hurt. Then I will go from there. Baby steps.
I had the same problem with my 31M fleetwood. Ford told me the same thing. I removed the hollow ford rear sway bar and replaced it with an 1 1/2" solid bar from SDTrucking. Made all the difference in the world.
rmarsh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford anti-roll bars are a joke for that chassis. The HD bars are typically close to 1-1/2" in diameter and have urethane bushings. To get the most benifit, you need to repalce the rear anti-roll bar and add a front anti-roll bar. If you onlt siffen one end, it will help, but not cure it.

Ken
Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #14

Do a search for "Timbrens" I added them to the rear of my Navion and they made a world of difference.
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood