Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Fleetwood vs Thor

Same basic RV. How much better is a Fleetwood?
JR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thor is not generally noted for quality. I had a 2002 Southwind and was satisfied with the build quality. Note that a Thor and any other similar coach will use the same chassis and appliances. The differences will be in the materials, construction, wiring, and plumbing.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Thor is the #1 best selling RV maker in North America.
The #1 best selling Class A is the Thor A.C.E.
The best selling Class B is the Interstate by Thor.
The best selling Class C is the FourWinds line by Thor Motor Coach.

Selling so many RV's there are complaints you can find on-line, but that's just a function of more sales.

Fleetwood RV's are very nice and like Thor Motor Coach, they use the same chassis, use the same appliances, and use laminate multi-layer walls and roof for superior strength and weight savings.

Is one brand better than the other? I submit that is dependant on the individual unit and the dealership. We LOVE our Thor built RV.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Selling so many RV's there are complaints you can find on-line, but that's just a function of more.
Best luck
The reason being Thor is in the process of buying most other RV companies, Jayco is the latest victim, God help them.....

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It can kind of depend on whether or not you are considering used vs new. Thor had lots of quality issues in the past but I believe they've stepped up their game. Although, as Steve stated, by sheer production volume, there will be more issues because there are more Thor products produced.

Fleetwood took a hard hit with quality after the bankruptcy. They've worked hard to claw their way back, but I don't think they've reached the benchmark they had pre-bankruptcy. There are many threads about Fleetwood's quality (or lack thereof) too. We had only a handful off minor issues when we bought our coach new & have been very happy with it. Issues since have been due to aging & component failure on 3rd party systems installed (not mfr'd) by Fleetwood.

I say pick the one you like & roll the dice.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

I like the Fleetwood better but it has almost 10,000. More miles on it and maybe a little more used and my husband thinks the Thor would be worth the extra 6 grand. They are both 2013.
JR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #7

I've owned 2 Fleetwood travel trailers, a Forest River travel trailer and a Thor MH.

In my experience the Thor is best and the Fleetwoods were crap, especially the second one.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR123 View Post
I like the Fleetwood better but it has almost 10,000. More miles on it and maybe a little more used and my husband thinks the Thor would be worth the extra 6 grand. They are both 2013.
I wouldn’t worry about mileage but I would avoid anything that has been lived in like snow birding etc.

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I suspect that list was put together by a Thor salesman! I certainly have not seen any list like this in any RV industry publications.

Fleetwood used to be the monster company in the business until they went bankrupt. The current Fleetwood is not the same company it used to be. Thor is now the monster RV "maker", buying out other mfg'ers right and left. They likely do sell more RVs than any other umbrella brand, but I have seen several articles that contradict the rest of that list.

When buying a used coach, original build quality can be a factor. I might give Thor a little edge in that category, but not much. But a far, far bigger factor is how it has been used, and how well it has been maintained in it's lifetime. It needs to have been used enough to not be suffering from "lot rot," and it needs to have had regular chassis maintenance and overall upkeep.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I suspect that list was put together by a Thor salesman! I certainly have not seen any list like this in any RV industry publications.
While Thor does share these sales facts, the news came from RV Business as reported by sales figures.

The A.C.E. numbers are for the last 3 years.

BTW, best selling Class A Diesel (a subset of the Class A segment) is Tiffin.

Just offering specifics.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #11

The folks behind Thor and the folks behind Camping World have a mutual support pact. That has the largest dealer network selling Thor. Mostly they go to first time buyers.

FWIW I looked over an ACE several times. They are nice on the first look but not when one pokes deeper into them. Probably fine for the couple of weeks and some weekends crowd but not something built for long traveling and living. Priced and discounted accordingly. Winnebago should hire the Thor design team. That might get us good ergonomics with good build quality.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #12

We bought a 2017 Thor Quantum. Haven't found a serious issue yet. We have spent well over 100 nights in it. We love ours.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #13

I would get the floor plan you like best. Take them both for test drives so you can compare how they behave and if one doesn’t stand out from a driving standpoint just get the one with the best layout.

Personally I would also base my decision on where you will get it worked on. If you are someone who takes it to a RV repair center talk to them and weigh their opinion into the equation.

I don’t think brands matter to much, if your comparing two $75k new RV (or any other price) they should be pretty similar with each company having good and bad vs the competitor.

My last coach was a Fleetwood, had the best layout for the price I was looking at. Next coach will again be a Fleetwood, not because they are so superior to anything else but for me it has the best layout for the size I want and the service center is 2hours from where I presently live.

I would be more worried about how the RV was maintained then having 10k more miles. Just like a car low mileage doesn’t mean it was well maintained.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #14

This is our second Thor, both have had Very minor problems, would buy another one. PDI is essential, as is a good dealer that stands behind their products.

I would first look at a floor plan that suits you the best and go from there.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, thor