Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

For those who have the Ford V10 engine/chassis on a 24-26' C

How comfortable is the ride and handling with the Ford set up on a mid'20'er Class C, years 2004-2010 and fully loaded for full time living? I ask because from what I have learned on here the last couple months, the Ford V10 seems to be bullet proof as stated by several of the posters on here, if maintained properly of course. It seems like that would have a tendency to cause the least worry, problems, and maintenance, not to mention about $10-20k cheaper to purchase.

So, if knowing this to be the case, is the comfort and handling good for this smaller size class C? Or is the Mercedes Sprinter set up on a similar size going to blow the Ford away in a ride and handling comparison. I'm aware of the mpg difference, but like many feel that $20k can buy a few years worth of gas.
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #2

Wink A solid endorsement of the Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
How comfortable is the ride and handling with the Ford set up on a mid'20'er Class C, years 2004-2010 and fully loaded for full time living? I ask because from what I have learned on here the last couple months, the Ford V10 seems to be bullet proof as stated by several of the posters on here, if maintained properly of course. It seems like that would have a tendency to cause the least worry, problems, and maintenance, not to mention about $10-20k cheaper to purchase.

So, if knowing this to be the case, is the comfort and handling good for this smaller size class C? Or is the Mercedes Sprinter set up on a similar size going to blow the Ford away in a ride and handling comparison. I'm aware of the mpg difference, but like many feel that $20k can buy a few years worth of gas.

Our 2012 Nexus Phantom 23P (24'), 6.8L V-10 E-350 has always provided an excellent, stable ride/handling over the last 2 years and 23,000+ miles. It tracks straight as an arrow and does not suffer from passing trucks. In anything up to 35 mph winds it is easy one handed steering, above that I just get off the road.

I have left it completely stock as there is nothing that needs improvement. Someday I'll need to replace the original shocks but probably not for another 20 - 25,000 miles. I run Michelin LTX M/S 2's inflated to 60 on the front and 65 on the rears which leaves me a nice weight load cushion above what they are carrying.

The reliability and should the need arise, serviceability, is outstanding. Just try and find a town that doesn't have at least one Ford dealer and yes they virtually all will service a 24' Class C.

The Sprinter Chassis is not going to "Blow away" an E-350 in any category especially serviceability/reliability. Yes they get better mileage than the V-10 (duh), but Sprinter/MB mileage is often exaggerated, think 15 to 17 in the real world driving with a very light foot and no, they do not get 24.

The ride and handling will be similar but the Sprinter will have far less payload leaving you easily overloaded vs the Ford. If you are going to tow anything get a Ford. The power of the 6.8L V-10 mated to the 5 speed Torque Shift transmission is the only way to go. The Sprinter/MB will easily set you back another $20,000 up front and expect significantly higher maintenance costs as well. As you noted a lot of fuel can be purchased for the difference.

We looked at a number of Sprinter/MB's before buying our Ford. Several were very nice but they all came with far less room/storage/payload. Our Nexus has 7' of interior headroom throughout the coach and is 101" wide. It has 3,363# of payload and we have yet to utilize more than about 60% of the available storage. It is rated to tow 5,000# and can easily do so.... Sprinter/MB's not so much (according to the dozen or so owners I have spoken with).

When comparing/contrasting the two designs it all comes down to how you are going to use it. Each has its strong points and frankly I think most of the Sprinters look a little better than my brick on wheels but... When it comes down to getting the "Job" of RV'ing done for us the choice was clear based upon power, performance, payload/storage, reliability/serviceability etc., etc..

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:19 PM   #3

For the past couple of years I've had a 2008 Thor / Four Winds Dutchmen Dorado 26BE. It just under 27' and is on a Ford 2007 E450 Chassis. I do not full time in this coach. I use it a couple of weekends a month and for vacation. I also use it to tow a 20' enclosed trailer with a race car and gear.

I'm hard on my vehicles. I load this coach up to the maximum GCWR (20,000 lbs) every time I use it, accept when I am vacationing. When we take vacations, I pull a 3400 lbs car on a tow dolly behind the coach.

When I purchased this motorhome, it was just my wife and I. Now we have a son, too. When he was first born he was easy to deal with in the coach, but now that he is getting bigger and more mobile (he's almost 2) the amount of gear we need is insane. On our recent vacation, we were loaded up with clothes, food, and kid stuff for 8 days. It took a bit of planning, but we made it all fit without much issue. The only thing I packed into the toad was my son's stroller.

Now for the my opinions of the E450 based 20-something Class C:

1. The Ford 6.8L V10 is fantastic. This motor is truly a workhorse. Sure, I wish the E Series vans got the updated 3 valve version like the Class A's, but the 2 valve version is still a great motor.

On my coach I've done nothing but oil changes. I exclusively use Mobile 1 5w-40 (Turbo Diesel Truck formula) in my V10. I do this because of the Texas heat and the constant stress I'm putting the motor under moving 20k lbs.

Prior to owning this coach I owned a 2002 Ford Excursion with the 2-valve V10 that I pulled a 30' Toy Hauler behind with a car in it. The GCWR there was nearly 19k lbs. When I sold that truck, it had hard 160,000 miles on it. I sold it to a friend that uses it to tow his race car trailer. It has 200k on the clock, now. Over the life of the motor, the only things that have been done are: Spark plugs, Oil Changes (M1 5w-40), coolant flush, new alternator, and some coil packs. Needless to say, that is a short list for 200k miles.

The only negative is the fuel mileage. I've seen as low as 5 MPG towing. I've seen as high as 9 MPG with the trailer. I actually get slightly better mileage in the Class C than I did the Excursion. To be fair, though, I tow at the speed limit. In Texas that is 75 MPH on the interstate. Near Austin, the speed limit is 85 MPH--and I'm ashamed to say I've cruised that fast in my Class C with the trailer in tow.

2. You must get a unit with the 5 speed transmission! I don't know in what year they switched from the 4 speed to the 5 speed in the E Series vans, but the 5 speed automatic is a much better transmission. My Excursion had the 4 speed and it was not nearly as good when getting the vehicle up to highway speeds.

Additionally, I always drive in Tow/Haul mode with the 5 speed, even on the rare occasions when I'm not towing. The reason is because by default the 5 speed only uses 4 gears. It also tends to hunt for gears alot when going up and down grades on the highway. Tow/Haul mode gives you all 5 gears and it will hold gears longer.

3. The E450 Chassis is better than I expected. Having driven older E Series vans, my expectations were low for my coach. Surprisingly, the coach drives great. It is very maneuverable. In fact it is easier to drive than many 1 ton pickups.

The ride can leave a bit to be desired when the coach is lightly loaded. With a Unloaded Vehicle Weight of only 11,500 lbs, my E450 Class C is a relative lightweight. It doesn't seem happy until you start to approach the GVWR of 14,500#.

The ride can be sorted with a few upgrades, though. Good shocks are a must! Swaybars really calm the body roll. I am also a big fan of the Safe T Plus steering control system.

If you are towing with a E Series motorhome, be sure to include your tongue weight into the GVWR. If you load it up to 14.5k and then put a 5500# trailer behind it, you will be overloading the coach by 550-825 lbs. This will cause the rear to sag and the front to lift. This makes for nasty tire wear and unsafe driving! I use a Trailer Toad to keep the tongue weight of my trailer completely off the coach and I have an upgraded 10K hitch. The tongue weight of my tow dolly can't be more than 100# with the car loaded, because I can pick it up with one hand with the car loaded on it.

In summary, I think it is hard to beat the E Series with the V10. The motor is great, but thirsty. As you mention, this is offset by the lower cost vs. Sprinters and etc. The E Series is also very capable. This allows for more house weight (aka amenities), cargo, and towing.

The ride may not be as good, but that is easily corrected with a couple of thousand in aftermarket parts. You can easily afford that with the savings over the more expensive chassis of the competitors.

The other thing I'll mention is that I am about to upgrade to a bigger coach. While this one has served me well, I have a growing family and a desire to tow a larger trailer than my current 7000# enclosed. I'm considering Super C's and DP's. I will miss my current E450, though. Mainly because it has been so good to me.

-BJ Meyer
loftygoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We just purchased a 2015 Minnie Winnie 25B after serious considerations to the MB sprinter chassis. For us it was the right decision. After owning 2 MB autos and the associated cost of service, we have never looked back on our decision. The Ford is very reliable and our local Ford dealer will service it.
H-12Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You say you are going to full time, we just bought a 24V on the 350 chassis and it only has 1385 total CCC. You may be better off buying a small Class A, our 2000 Adventurer 32' has 3000 lb carrying copacity and tons more storage space.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
we just bought a 24V on the 350 chassis and it only has 1385 total CCC.
Or look for a small C on the E450 chassis. My Dutchmen Dorado 26BE (27') is on the E450 chassis. It has an unloaded weight (includes a full load of fuel) of 11.5k lbs. The GVWR is 14.5k lbs. That leaves 3000 lbs for people, water, and gear. That seem pretty reasonable to me.

-bj
loftygoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #7

26Q on a E450 chassis here. Chose the E450 chassis for the wider stance and higher carrying capacity. Had it for two years now. Stable and great handling on the highway with no changes. Plenty of power to pull our trailer with the bikes or our toad. Can't tell they are back there.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:39 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We also went for the E450 for higher CC and still be able to pull a Toad or trailer if necessary.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
26Q on a E450 chassis here. Chose the E450 chassis for the wider stance and higher carrying capacity. Had it for two years now. Stable and great handling on the highway with no changes. Plenty of power to pull our trailer with the bikes or our toad. Can't tell they are back there.
we just bought the 25 k. 2015 E450 only weighs 10,800 lbs..it has liv'n room slide...I think it has one of the best lbs per hp out there

32 lbs per hp...8700 lbs ccc 3700 cc on the coach

our excursion cruised @ 60 mph and after 4000 miles average 7.2 mpg..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftygoals View Post
For the past couple of years I've had a 2008 Thor / Four Winds Dutchmen Dorado 26BE. It just under 27' and is on a Ford 2007 E450 Chassis. I do not full time in this coach. I use it a couple of weekends a month and for vacation. I also use it to tow a 20' enclosed trailer with a race car and gear.

I'm hard on my vehicles. I load this coach up to the maximum GCWR (20,000 lbs) every time I use it, accept when I am vacationing. When we take vacations, I pull a 3400 lbs car on a tow dolly behind the coach.

When I purchased this motorhome, it was just my wife and I. Now we have a son, too. When he was first born he was easy to deal with in the coach, but now that he is getting bigger and more mobile (he's almost 2) the amount of gear we need is insane. On our recent vacation, we were loaded up with clothes, food, and kid stuff for 8 days. It took a bit of planning, but we made it all fit without much issue. The only thing I packed into the toad was my son's stroller.

Now for the my opinions of the E450 based 20-something Class C:

1. The Ford 6.8L V10 is fantastic. This motor is truly a workhorse. Sure, I wish the E Series vans got the updated 3 valve version like the Class A's, but the 2 valve version is still a great motor.

On my coach I've done nothing but oil changes. I exclusively use Mobile 1 5w-40 (Turbo Diesel Truck formula) in my V10. I do this because of the Texas heat and the constant stress I'm putting the motor under moving 20k lbs.

Prior to owning this coach I owned a 2002 Ford Excursion with the 2-valve V10 that I pulled a 30' Toy Hauler behind with a car in it. The GCWR there was nearly 19k lbs. When I sold that truck, it had hard 160,000 miles on it. I sold it to a friend that uses it to tow his race car trailer. It has 200k on the clock, now. Over the life of the motor, the only things that have been done are: Spark plugs, Oil Changes (M1 5w-40), coolant flush, new alternator, and some coil packs. Needless to say, that is a short list for 200k miles.

The only negative is the fuel mileage. I've seen as low as 5 MPG towing. I've seen as high as 9 MPG with the trailer. I actually get slightly better mileage in the Class C than I did the Excursion. To be fair, though, I tow at the speed limit. In Texas that is 75 MPH on the interstate. Near Austin, the speed limit is 85 MPH--and I'm ashamed to say I've cruised that fast in my Class C with the trailer in tow.

2. You must get a unit with the 5 speed transmission! I don't know in what year they switched from the 4 speed to the 5 speed in the E Series vans, but the 5 speed automatic is a much better transmission. My Excursion had the 4 speed and it was not nearly as good when getting the vehicle up to highway speeds.

Additionally, I always drive in Tow/Haul mode with the 5 speed, even on the rare occasions when I'm not towing. The reason is because by default the 5 speed only uses 4 gears. It also tends to hunt for gears alot when going up and down grades on the highway. Tow/Haul mode gives you all 5 gears and it will hold gears longer.

3. The E450 Chassis is better than I expected. Having driven older E Series vans, my expectations were low for my coach. Surprisingly, the coach drives great. It is very maneuverable. In fact it is easier to drive than many 1 ton pickups.

The ride can leave a bit to be desired when the coach is lightly loaded. With a Unloaded Vehicle Weight of only 11,500 lbs, my E450 Class C is a relative lightweight. It doesn't seem happy until you start to approach the GVWR of 14,500#.

The ride can be sorted with a few upgrades, though. Good shocks are a must! Swaybars really calm the body roll. I am also a big fan of the Safe T Plus steering control system.

If you are towing with a E Series motorhome, be sure to include your tongue weight into the GVWR. If you load it up to 14.5k and then put a 5500# trailer behind it, you will be overloading the coach by 550-825 lbs. This will cause the rear to sag and the front to lift. This makes for nasty tire wear and unsafe driving! I use a Trailer Toad to keep the tongue weight of my trailer completely off the coach and I have an upgraded 10K hitch. The tongue weight of my tow dolly can't be more than 100# with the car loaded, because I can pick it up with one hand with the car loaded on it.

In summary, I think it is hard to beat the E Series with the V10. The motor is great, but thirsty. As you mention, this is offset by the lower cost vs. Sprinters and etc. The E Series is also very capable. This allows for more house weight (aka amenities), cargo, and towing.

The ride may not be as good, but that is easily corrected with a couple of thousand in aftermarket parts. You can easily afford that with the savings over the more expensive chassis of the competitors.

The other thing I'll mention is that I am about to upgrade to a bigger coach. While this one has served me well, I have a growing family and a desire to tow a larger trailer than my current 7000# enclosed. I'm considering Super C's and DP's. I will miss my current E450, though. Mainly because it has been so good to me.

-BJ Meyer
we just sign'd the papers for the new 2015 e450. 5speed...

now I see the 2016 has a 6 speed

anyone have one???
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, ford, v10