Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #15

Check local garages or light duty truck shops. Changing the oil and filter is easy. You don’t need a lift, doesn’t need to be inside a bay. Just crawl under the unit. I bring my own oil and Motorcraft filter to the mechanic.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Wow , never had a dealer mess up an oil change, but yea, I did my own on my gasser.
Dealer mechanics are just like any other oil change service center. They too work under a clock. The quicker they get done, the more work they take on, the more they get paid. Regardless of who is doing the oil change for you, they don't have the patience to put the drain plug in by-hand. They place the drain plug on a pneumatic gun and "zing" it on, sometimes stripping the threads, and often with too much torque that they over-crush the gasket on the plug.

Another volunteer at the auto charity I mentioned earlier is replacing the oil pan on his son's luxury car. The dealer stripped the oil drain plug hole. He knows the dealer did it because the previous oil change was done by him. The dealer denied it so he is left buying and installing a new oil pan on his son's engine.

Why would I want my oil change done in 10 minutes as some places advertise? Please please please take your time, let all the old oil drain out, clean up the filter surface, oil the new filter gasket, install and tighten the drain plug properly, put in the right oil, and the right amount of it. There should be a sticker under the hood of each vehicle stating the type and quantity of oil required. Fast changers don't spend the time to look it up.

To everyone reading this, I hope my warning here and in my previous response higher up, never applies to you and you feel I am just paranoid.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #17

I bought a car with a stripped drain plug, they put an over size plug in and stripped that! I put a new pan on. I will do my own or watch them!
Same with putting on lug nuts.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #18
LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
To everyone reading this, I hope my warning here and in my previous response higher up, never applies to you and you feel I am just paranoid.
Thank you. I quit doing my own oil changes when I purchased my Toyota truck 23 years ago. 180,000 miles. 36 Oil Changes. I have no idea how many times the Toyota dealer has screwed up my oil drain plug or failed to drain all the oil. I only know that they have always repaired it. It does not leak oil and does not require oil to be added between oil changes.
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #19

Worked at dealerships for near 30 years. The horror stories as told here , in my experience are very rare when it comes to oil changes.
Not to say it never happens.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
When I had my E-450 three dealers in the Metro area wouldn't touch it, regardless of what the Ford website says.
yep same thing here, although different part of the country. they all said my RV was to big for there service bays.
so I changed oil & filter myself and found out it was easier to change on my E-450, than my nissan cube...
Old 09-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check and see if Landmark Ford in Tigard will do it. They service UPS vans that are about the same size as your class C.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #22

I would say there is a lot of exaggeration in this thread. Never in 35 years of working in corner garages and Ford dealers have I ever seen a power tool used on an oil drain plug.
Not saying it doesn't happen but certainly not normal. Worked with a few guys that would use a torque wrench tightening them.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #23

Try Northside Ford in Milwaukee or if you want to take a drive I just had mine done at Doherty Ford in Forest Grove.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Try Northside Ford in Milwaukee or if you want to take a drive I just had mine done at Doherty Ford in Forest Grove.
I reached out to Landmark and they do not service vehicles my size, also own MW 22M.

They did recommend Northside Ford. I am in Vancouver WA area and based on reviews I am thinking of using Ron's Auto and RVs on Fourth Plain Blvd in Vancouver
JLorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #25
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Check and see if Landmark Ford in Tigard will do it. They service UPS vans that are about the same size as your class C.
Interesting. I have used Landmark for about 20 years and when I asked about working on my E-450 motorhome they declined. Not big enough bay, no hoist, yada yada.

I will say this that my recent experiences with them has put my opinion of them slightly lower than Northside.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #26
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Never thought about Doherty. They impressed me several years ago on some other issues.

FWIW Norhtside is in NE PDX.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #27

Columbia Blvd and around 60th....6221 is they're address....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, ford, service