RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Ford chassis service Portland,OR

We have a 2019 Winnebago 22M on a Ford E350 chassis, and itís time for itís first oil change/service. Any recommendations as to who to take it to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Much.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Call the Ford RV number to find a dealer that works on RVs. I do my own.

A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
LOG

Take it to a Ford Truck dealer. And please let the forum know how that Ford RV number worked out.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

I do a lot of oil changes on many different vehicles at an automotive charity. One thing I share with other people. I don't let anyone else do an oil change on my vehicles, not even a dealer. All too often I see how horrible oil changers mess up this simple mechanical procedure. The most common damage is that they strip the oil pan drain plug.

other issues include...
- they rarely use the recommended oil fiscosity because it is not available from the oil hose hanging from the ceiling.
- they put in the wrong amount, often a 1/2 quart too little or two much
- they don't wipe the surface clean for the oil filter gasket.
- they don't apply oil on the new filter gasket
- because they don't wipe it clean, sometimes the old gasket is stuck on, then they accidentally double-gasket the oil filter.
- they are impatient to allow all the old dirty oil to drain out.

The Ford E350 and E450 stand so tall, it is easy to do an oil change without jacking it up.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I do a lot of oil changes on many different vehicles at an automotive charity. One thing I share with other people. I don't let anyone else do an oil change on my vehicles, not even a dealer. All too often I see how horrible oil changers mess up this simple mechanical procedure. The most common damage is that they strip the oil pan drain plug.

other issues include...
- they rarely use the recommended oil fiscosity because it is not available from the oil hose hanging from the ceiling.
- because they don't wipe it clean, sometimes the old gasket is stuck on, then they accidentally double-gasket the oil filter.

The Ford E350 and E450 stand so tall, it is easy to do an oil change without jacking it up.
I agree with what you say. Except, that motorhome is still under factory warranty. It is best to have Ford change the oil until it is out of warranty.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #6

How about a Ford dealer who does oil changes etc.? Some are able to accommodate your rig.
And, I don't think it has to be a Ford garage that has to do the oil change in order to keep your warranty. Just be sure it's a reputable store and not a home garage type.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI:

I used to have to convince my customers that their warranties were not at risk if they let me service their vehicles and if they kept our records to prove they were having he required maintenance done.

I also discovered that I could do my own work as long as I kept good records as to what I purchased and the vehicle's mileage.

Check out what the Federal Trade Commission says:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
Old 09-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #8

You can buy Ford oil filters and oil and do your own with no fear flooding your warranty. That's an old wives tale!
Old 09-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #9

I really have mixed opinions....
I change my own oil 95% of the time... When I take it to a shop I take my own oil and filter....
Reasons are I like to use the proper oil for my application.. i do not want shop oils..unless it was for one of my POS junkers i run around at times.

I have had oil filters over tightened as well as stripped drain plugs..

I am sure of stories of guys running whatever, change whenever and have 150K....

I have and have had so many personal vehicles go over 200K.
76 Chevette scooter.. 360K then junked it and yard sold motor//
80 K5 Blazer 170K sold drive train month ago.
89 Pathfiner 184K
96 Pathfinder 320K still on road 5 years after...
99 528, 242K sold ...last year
2006 X3 135K in use
2003 Murano 273K in use
2006 E250 227K in use
92 Ranger 4cyl 2wd 217K rusted away...
94 E350 Short bus RV 200K + for sales, pulled pan and t/c cover at 187K, clean perfect.
blah blah I know....
Oil changes Vary 3K to 5K... ; years ago it 1500 2500 ..
With analysis i can see longer but whether you have my new to me 96 Minnie with 32K worth 7K or a 2019 thor with a cummins worth 150K ... oil cost and frequency is the least of ones worries...

If I was running cross country or coastal.. I did this in my shortbus.. Ran PA to FL to Tenn to ohio and back PA.. 5500-6000 Miles ,, I used good oil... changed my filter and added a fresh Qt... again this is me.....

New stuuff under warranty, If I was not handy and worried about service, I would make sure the dealer had good service for coach and chassis.. or a relationship with a top notch chassis shop etc...

If you buy, new and are gonna go tear it u p traveling, scope out some stops.. maybe bring your oil and filters,, as locally where you visit for a good guy.
I have an auto collision shop and my son a powersports.. We have both have travlers recommended by local eateries and hotels to get fixed up or i hooked them up...

as always i type alot....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmaclean View Post
We have a 2019 Winnebago 22M on a Ford E350 chassis, and itís time for itís first oil change/service. Any recommendations as to who to take it to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Much.
When I had my E-450 three dealers in the Metro area wouldn't touch it, regardless of what the Ford website says.

AFAIK Northside Ford is the only Ford dealer that will touch them.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post

other issues include...

Wow , never had a dealer mess up an oil change, but yea, I did my own on my gasser.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
FYI:

I used to have to convince my customers that their warranties were not at risk if they let me service their vehicles and if they kept our records to prove they were having he required maintenance done.

I also discovered that I could do my own work as long as I kept good records as to what I purchased and the vehicle's mileage.

Check out what the Federal Trade Commission says:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

Agreed!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
When I had my E-450 three dealers in the Metro area wouldn't touch it, regardless of what the Ford website says.

AFAIK Northside Ford is the only Ford dealer that will touch them.

Yea, they need a heavy truck hoist. ( even though they can do them on a creeper)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #14

Ford dealer did mine while on a trip and did it,on the floor, no lift needed.

Tags
chassis, ford, service