Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Ford/Chevy chassis driver seat area small

Are there any tall guys or gals who feel cramped while driving the new offerings on the Ford or Chevy chassis?

Looking at new units, such as the Jayco Class Cs, Sunseekers and for a 6'2" adult, my left leg hits or rests upon the driver door handle, very uncomfortable! My left leg is unable to stretch out fully with the seat fully back!

I feel like I'm driving a go-cart.

Where did all the room go? Must I go to a Freightliner chassis to be comfortable?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #2

There are lots of ways manufacturers can make the cab comfortable or uncomfortable. On my 2008 E450 chassis Aspect there is about a foot of room behind the driver's seat with the slide in. This allows me to put the seat all the way back and recline as much as the seat allows. The kicker is that mine is a 26' RV. I drove lots of Class C's when we were looking on both Chevy and Ford chassis that had the slide against the back of the driver's seat which isn't good for us tall folks.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

Yup

Tried a Chevy chassis. about 8 inches more room, more room for the passenger, and the engine doesn't scream like the v-10 Ford uphill. Better riding for sure. Better powertrain warranty than Ford

Made a believer out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
There are lots of ways manufacturers can make the cab comfortable or uncomfortable. On my 2008 E450 chassis Aspect there is about a foot of room behind the driver's seat with the slide in. This allows me to put the seat all the way back and recline as much as the seat allows. The kicker is that mine is a 26' RV. I drove lots of Class C's when we were looking on both Chevy and Ford chassis that had the slide against the back of the driver's seat which isn't good for us tall folks.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

My 2015 Forester (Chevy Based) seats are 21" wide, has anybody tried any of the upgraded seats that are 24" wide. The stock Chevy seats slope down towards the pedals and has no lumbar support. I have been looking at several different models online, but none list the 2015 year model. I can see where the upgraded seat might show as slightly off centered from the steering wheel, but I can move my arms the extra 2". Should I be concerned with anything else? JH
Old 04-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

I thought the Chevy had more room, but the Ford is much more common. The funny thing is that now that I have thousands of miles under my belt in the Ford I really haven't ever felt as "uncomfortable" as I did when I first drove it...weird. I to am 6'2" tall. My wife also thought the "doghouse" was going to be an issue in the Ford, again, now that we own it - no issues.

As to the high rpm's generated by the Ford, yes it does rev, and yes it gets noisy, but it is really a small thing to me as it happens for such a small part of the time. I love the rig (Itasca Cambria) and if we ever went to an class A I would buy a Ford in a heartbeat. Tows our Honda CRV very well, and driving in the mountains is even kinda fun. Just make sure you are in tow/haul and the engine really does a superb job.

Lastly, the Ford chassis allows for higher GVWR's than the Chevy. I think the Chevy is a nice set up, but you are going to find it mainly on the smaller C's due to the weight restrictions.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

At 6'2" and 279#'s. I have no comfort problem in our Ford E450.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
At 6'2" and 279#'s. I have no comfort problem in our Ford E450.
I am, or was a similar size. I used to be 6'4", but I have shrunk some over the years, so I'm something less (couple of inches?) than that now. I did weigh 276#, but now I'm down to a little over 200#. With all that being said, I've never been uncomfortable in either my previous E350 or my current E450. I just wonder how much room people who complain about Fords need ?
I had a Chevrolet Class C chassis way back in the 90s and don't remember being overwhelmed by an abundance of room. Are the newer Chevys any roomier ?
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I owned a 2001 jamboree on a Chevy Chassis and my current Chinook on a Ford E350 chassis. At least in my case, the driver's room is similar. On the passenger side, the footwell on the Ford is a bit more cramped. The biggest complaint that passengers seem to have is with the console on the doghouse. The console itself is easy to remove and you can get a smaller one on EBay. In my case that made a difference, opening up the space for the passenger to get easier access to their seat. It also allowed for a swivel base to be installed that allows the passenger seat to swivel around for another useful seat when we are parked.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

I found the Chevy more roomy than the Ford. My left leg was unable to stretch out all the way in the Ford, my left leg hit the armrest of the door in the Ford, the dog house is a lot larger in the Ford, taking away from floor room.

It's about another 8 inches or so I figure.

When we go cross country and sitting in the cockpit 8-10 hours on SOME days to make time, this room is invaluable. Also more foot room for the passenger.

On the Chevrolet, the engine is further forward from you, thus the legroom difference

I'm a Ford guy too, with a 2011 F-150, 2013 F350 Powerstroke Lariat and now with a 2013 Explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I am, or was a similar size. I used to be 6'4", but I have shrunk some over the years, so I'm something less (couple of inches?) than that now. I did weigh 276#, but now I'm down to a little over 200#. With all that being said, I've never been uncomfortable in either my previous E350 or my current E450. I just wonder how much room people who complain about Fords need ?
I had a Chevrolet Class C chassis way back in the 90s and don't remember being overwhelmed by an abundance of room. Are the newer Chevys any roomier ?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #10

I was actually adding to rvten's post that's why I quoted him. No need for you to repost your original post.
I just went out to my E450 and my left leg doesn't hit the armrest without really trying to do so. I can just about fully extend my left leg, but it would be under the brake pedal. I'm comfortable enough not having to do that.
I just went out again to the MH and sat in the passenger seat. Now that is definitely lacking in floor space for a taller person. You certainly can't stretch out your legs on that side. That doesn't really bother me, since I do all the driving. My wife hasn't driven any of our RVs in probably the last 15 years or so.
She has complained about the heat from the floor on the E450 and our previous E350. I haven't felt any heat on the driver's side on either one.
Best of luck in whatever you decide to get.

Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, chevy, driver, ford