Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Ford E-450 Chassis wiring

We have a Class C built on a 2012 Ford E-450 chassis. I want to install a brake controller. So far I figured out there is a connector hiding behind the change bay at the center top area of the dash and a 4 wire connector on the bumper where I can get the lights. What I would like to know is what the wires are at the controller connector that is in the dash assembly.

It would seem that Ford would have the supply and lines to the back already in place but the only video I can find show cutting off the Ford wiring and installing new for several things that should be there. There is a Tekonsha to Ford cable adapter available so why not use the rest of the wiring? Any help greatly appreciated.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #2

I put a Tekonsha in my 2005 E450 a couple of years ago and it was plug and play, no cutting or running of wires. If you have the correct connector on the controller it should plug directly into the Ford wiring connector already under the dash. At the rear of the motorhome I plugged in an adapter that connected the the existing 5 pin connector to the 7 pin connector on the trailer.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would contact your MH manufacturer. With only a 4 wire connector at the back that would mean you would only have right and left tail/brake lights, running lights and ground. You would be missing the electric brake control, battery power feed, and back up lights. The ford truck body builders guide for your model year has useful info.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2012 Fleetwood, the brake controller from Tekonsha with adapter cable was also plug and play.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #5

Looked at the builders guide but it does not seem to have wiring info. Still happy to have it, THANKS!

When you say plug and play I'm assuming that at the cab end. Did you have a 6 or 7 pin connector or the flat 4? I have a round housing that looks like its all there but when the cover comes off it's a disguised flat 4. It sounds like it's creeper time and find out what the coach builders/Ford did with the cable from the controller. Right now I hope I can work back from the rear connector and find a taped bundle.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My connector is round and is the 7 blade RV connector.

Page 12 under "Electrical" shows the wiring on your MY ford chassis as it comes stripped from the factory. The connections are on the frame behind the gas tank. Two connections one is the 4 wire, the other connection is the BK-UP, 12V Battery Feed, and the Brake Controller. Again it all depends on the Manufacture, how they connect the wires. In my case they use an ignition feed which also triggers the step,then feeds the 12V battery for the trailer wiring.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, ford, wiring