Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
Ford E450 E45 chassis handling improvements

I know there are some excellent threads about handling improvements but I would like some suggestions to the specific chassis.

I have a 2006 e45 chassis and I have not driven mine far so I am not real sure about what the ride and handling is like. It is a 29 foot gulf stream.

I have driven on two lane back roads and about 25 miles on the interstate. Handling seems ok to me, does not seem to wonder much. I kept waiting for a semi to pass me but they were all east bound and I was westbound.

In your opinion, how do they handle in general. Have you made and changes that you recommend.

olustee bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
My 2000 E450 Gulfstream handled OK for the most part.

The only time I had problems was when overtaken by big rigs. I would be pushed to the road edge and had to add a lot of correction, left then right.

It would move so much that I had to watch for them overtaking me. Running I 81, near the Scranton PA. area, that's a full time job.

Since we were full time travelers,we needed to make it better.

I changed the sway bar bushings in the front to poly and replaced the whole sway bar and bushings in the rear.

I got the heavy duty sway bar from Amazon and installed it, after a trip to FL and back.

I was prepared to do more if it didn't help but the difference it made was remarkable.

I no longer stare in the mirror and my wife will drive it now. I drive with a few fingers on the wheel and my arm on the rest.

Your going to hear about shocks, rubber springs, air bags, track bars, changing tire pressure, steering stabilizers and "get used to it" on here.

My shocks are original and should be replaced. I don't have any of the other handling things because the sway bar did it for me.
I inflate my tires to the door jam sticker.

I'm just telling you what worked for me.

One point, if you bought it used, some of the improvements I listed, may have been made.

Good luck

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Thanks, gonna check with the previous owner. I don't think he did anything as the coach only has 3260 miles on it.

I will change the sway bars.
olustee bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
One thing twinboat forgot to mention: loading.
Try to keep heavier items forward of or at least closer to the rear axle and balanced left and right. (If you can, weigh the vehicle on each corner) I find this can make quite a difference in handling.
I find the worst 'passing vehicle push' to be from Class A's. They have poor aerodynamics....and yet, they're passing me!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I set the tire pressure did an alignment and replaced the steering stabilizer with a RSSC, C being for a class C and needed no more. I do tow all or most all miles. Mine handles great. Do the first two items on my list BEFORE anything else with an inspection(which should be done by the alignment shop) of all the bushings. Check a couple threads on the alignment here to be able to tell the shop what you want. You will be if all I did well under $600. Then drive a bit and evaluate if more is needed.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
I'd suggest driving the thing to see how it rides, before adding/changing/swapping anything. It might drive fine as it is. I had bought a used 1997 MH on an E350 and it didn't have any issues. I believe it was all OEM. My current E450 also gives a great ride, with nothing being added or changed since new. I read so many horror stories of how horrible some (if not most) of those vehicles are supposed to ride. I guess I've just been one of the lucky few that haven't had any problems.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
Too little front end +caster will manifest itself as "loose steering" (and wandering) at highway speeds. The E series is shipped from Ford with non adjustable concentrics fixed at +3.5 degrees which is OK for city driving, you want to have at lease +5.5 degrees caster for highway driving. Beware of a alignment shop who will only provide "tweak the toe and your good to go" service.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good thread about class C handling Class c highway handling

Lowest cost then work your way up is what I did.

Tire air pressure. I bet your rear is next to maximum weight so air rear to maximum on sidewall. Use a quality tire gage. I set my fronts about 10 pounds lower. Weigh it when loaded like you travel. Try to get more weight up front.

In my case, (07 Sunseeker 2860DS on E-450 since traded, bought with 20k miles) I did front shocks from local tire shop and had them installed as for the $30 was worth it.

Still wasn't happy so installed front and rear Hellwig sway bar from Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts | SD Truck Springs. Simple install, took better part of day but that included a long lunch break and a couple of beer breaks.

Had it aligned by a local front end shop that knows his stuff. He had a class C so he knew what I was trying to accomplish. He agreed with me to get a +5.5 camber and was able to do.

I was happy enough and was going to do a real track bar but never did.

IMHO I always felt the steering stabilizers was just masking problems, but I know others disagree.

Good luck.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
Those with wandering MHs should probably get an alignment or one of the safety steer things. If your being pushed by overtaking trucks, they are probably not going to help.

To see what is happening, push on the side of your MH, near the back.

If it seems to turn like a weather vane, track bar and or tire pressure.

If it leans, like a tree in the wind, anti-sway bars, or any of the things that stiffen the springs, will help.

There are thousands of posts and hundreds of Class A user's, that rave about a simple and free sway bar modification. The CHF. ( Cheap Handling fix )

It makes the anti-sway bar more resistant to sway. Unfortunately the Class C chassis does not have that option.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

e450, ford, chassis