Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Ford or Chevy?

I am shopping for a new short class c (24') and Ford was my only consideration but with more Chevy chassis available I'm want to hear opinions on the Chevy compared to the Ford. Reliability, power, driving qualities and transmission comparisons as well as anything that is different between the two. E450 and the equivalent Chevy are what I want and will be camping in NF remote sites and would appreciate response from owners of either.
Marine Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
UAV

Can of worms now open.

Will be an endless thread.

Personally, I don't have a preference as I like them both.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

Pick one with a house that fits what you want to do.

Both will perform well up into the 200,000 mile range.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #4

Flip a coin.
On the farms and personally.
We have had, do have both pulling heavy duty fifth wheels hauling hay to construction equipment.
Both brands have served us well over the years.
But we do carefully determine is the Dealership we deal with.

We have A preferred Ford dealership and Two GMC, Chevy dealership 's that we deal with.

Right now we have 8, 2014 and newer
Ford Dually 's and 6 GMC, Chevy s.

Plus a few f150s that are running for parts or groceries.
Personal vehicles.

We have no preference overall the past 60 years.

Like I said
Flip a coin.

Personal preference, Dealer service

And

There are lemons along the way with Every brand.

We are fortunate not to have had to deal with one.

Choose your dealer
Choose your floor plan
Drive both.
Both can serve you well.
Your $$$$
Your decision
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I own a 28 foot 2018 class c on a Chevy chassis. I downsized from a 43 foot pusher and I couldn't be happier with my choice. The leg room in the ford chassis didn't work for me. The Chevy handles great in the wind and with passing trucks with out any modifications to the chassis. I have never driven a Ford class c, so I can not comment on the way it drives.....Bruce
Old 08-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #6

When I worked in the auto industry, we had the "Mona Lisa" project and we would purchase other brand vehicles/trucks and would disassemble every bolt in the vehicle for evaluation. The competition would do likewise and if any aspect of the vehicle was superior, it would be quickly adapted into the vehicle design. The bottom line is that the vehicles are very competitive which each other's similar vehicles. The choice is mostly about your brand preference.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
One of the things I missed , was having a nearby dealer that could handle our Class C. Nearest Chevy/GM dealer for warranty is over an hour away . Had I bought a Ford, dealers are close by!
Still would have bought the Chevy , but knowing where to get warranty repairs is important.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Had a 28’ class C with V10. Now I have a 29’ class C with Chevy 2400 chassis.

The stock Chevy chassis handles wind & passing trucks way better. Plus more cab room & no engine noise when down shifting on grades.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #9

Either will get the job done, pick the RV you like, you'll probably never have any issues with the engine of either one. One caveat is that if you can get the 8.1 over the 6.0 in the GM.

I was looking only at Ford units for the 6.8 V10 and actually ended up with an 8.1 GM. I found out pretty quick that I hadn't been giving the 8.1 near enough credit. It's got plenty of ooooomph!
Old 08-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Our Leprechaun has the 6.0 liter , and does seem to have plenty of power. Had 8.1 in last MH had for 10 years had only one issue with ignition wires burning. Workhorse came up with the fix, trouble free after that! Was disappointed when searching for a GM dealer that could service our Class C . The Ford dealers have several that can service their class c chassis, not GM!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #11

I’ve been looking for a class c and initially I was leaning towards a Chevy chassis. But I’ve been overwhelmed how crappy the plastics for the interior in the Chevy were. The Fords appear to be about 2010’s quality, but Chevy’s more like 1990’s quality plastics. One feature that became a game with my son and I was the plastic covering of the lower panel by the driver’s left leg that wasn’t connected to the frame. We looked at about 7 mini homes on the Chevy body, many different makes and everyone of them had that panel piece not connected. I haven’t decided against Chevy from my search but I definitely find its interior materials a compromise. I’m looking to get a rig that maximizes space on the inside and minimizes exterior size. Oftentimes this is found on the Chevy body since smaller fords are E350’s with Gvwr of 12500 and E450’s are 14500 and Chevy is 14300.
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:23 AM   #12

I couldn’t live with the lack of leg room in the Ford. I am more than pleased with my Chevy... other than that, they are pretty much equal.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #13

Really good thoughtful responses and no mean spirited put downs are appreciated. Lack of service options for the Chevy could be a deal breaker for me and I will look into that. The Chevy is cheaper looking in the cab area and has fewer upgrades available and has 4.10 gears with lower towing capacity but many have stated a little better mpg. I will be buying in or after March so I have time to sort out my decision and am really curious about the 7.3 Ford possibly being in the mix. The more responses the better, thanks.
Marine Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #14

I drove both before buying mine. Chevy was a better, quieter ride. Seemed to handle better. RV's otherwise identical.

Tags
chevy, ford