Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
If they end the name I don't expect that they will end the vehicle class. Too many Ford vans on the street at the moment to just quit. I can't begin to count how many applications there are for the van and for the van cutaway chassis.

The Ford E-Series currently holds 79.6% of the full-size van market in the United States.
its just another Bone headded move only this one looks a bit more bone headed. 79% and they think they can do better than that??
Sounds like someone has a case of
"Crainal-Rectal inversion".

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #30

I know that I read that they will continue the cut away chassis but just for the heck of it I found a picture of a class C RV with a Transit cab (New Zealand) just to see what a class C would look like:

Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #31

Here's a first look at the US version. 3.5L ecoboost and diesel to come..not sure how it will fit in the class c market

First look at U.S.-spec Ford Transit snapped
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Personally, I like the option of 25% better mileage with the new transit van an cant wait until they have gas and diesel class C versions. Will give Sprinter - based rigs a run for the money.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #33

Looks like Dodge is also re-entering the full size van market in 2013 with Ram branded version of mother co's Fiat's Ducato. With Ducato's European MH success and a site dedicated to Ducato "born to be a motorhome", got to imagine they will want to enter the US class B/C market as well creating even better competition, pricing and fuel economy for consumers.

Video :: Product :: Fiat Ducato Camper
Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
If they end the name I don't expect that they will end the vehicle class. Too many Ford vans on the street at the moment to just quit. I can't begin to count how many applications there are for the van and for the van cutaway chassis.

The Ford E-Series currently holds 79.6% of the full-size van market in the United States.

I just did a Google seach and the only thing I found (so far) was your post.

Kept lookin'

Upon further review ....

Ford Transit Van to Begin U.S. Production in 2013

STUPID, STUPID, move!!
Transit YUK!!
This is akin to shooting ones self in the foot.
Ford has done this before,......recently!!!

Same thing with the Crown Vic and all the Police car market share.

Its like it is normal operating procedure to do this at Ford.

Whats next?? a Front wheel drive Mustang??
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscyRV View Post
Looks like Dodge is also re-entering the full size van market in 2013 with Ram branded version of mother co's Fiat's Ducato. With Ducato's European MH success and a site dedicated to Ducato "born to be a motorhome", got to imagine they will want to enter the US class B/C market as well creating even better competition, pricing and fuel economy for consumers.

Video :: Product :: Fiat Ducato Camper
Oh NOES!! Fix It Again Tony! Haven't we been down this road before?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Oh NOES!! Fix It Again Tony! Haven't we been down this road before?
So what. I welcome competition in this area. Having travelled extensively in NZ and Australia I would welcome the addition of more chassis options in North America - particularly the small efficient diesels.

Our E450 gets 8 to 8.5. I'd love to get 15+. The Sprinter has demonstrated that there is a market for this type of MH and competition will help bring down the price.

FORD - Found on Road Dead. And you can dig up similar acronyms for all of them.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually, I agree. But why can't Ford offer a Diesel in the E450? Seems to me that's a good way to compete.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think that the E series has just run its course. It has been a good run and largely unchanged for decades. They will likely continue to sell it for a few more years alongside the transit as they have previously stated.

Europe has fuel prices that are much higher than us and have had so for a long time. This has resulted in Ford's euro division working to make rigs more efficient. The transit has been the top selling light commercial vehicle in Europe for over 40 years. It started a revolution in places like the UK in freight moving and even the British rock invasion (Beatles) is largely attributed to the transit bringing these vans to the masses. That doesn't happen by chance. You are seeing the same euro invasion with the ford fusion (Europe mondeo platform), focus, fiesta, escape, etc.

There is a lot that can and needs to be done in the way of RV efficiency. With the exception of the sprinter and old toyota rigs, they have been stuck in the 7-11 mpg range for a long time. There are also a lot of churches vans, delivery vehicles, airport shuttles, etc that can also greatly benefit from better fuel economy. While I wish that the north American Ford division had been the leader, they had spent 2 decades focused on light trucks and SUVs and were not prepared for the rise in demand for fuel economy and Toyota was eating their lunch in the car market that they once dominated. Chevy and Chrysler were also no better prepared.

For me, I'm not buying a new C or A Motorhome until I can get a US built chassis that gets 15mpg or better on the highway and doesn't require Urea. No, I won't pay a $25k premium that diesel often requires. Yes, I may be waiting a long time, but based on a lot of folks I visit with that are not retirees, the RV industry greatly depends on it. Gone are the days with folks driving gas guzzlers as their daily transportation and they expect more from any potential motorhome purchase than in days past.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #39

Don't assume the name "Transit" in regard to vans has anything to with the "Transit Connect" vehicle on sale in the US at present. Back in 1967, when I was working at Norton/AJS Motorcycles, our motocross team van was a long wheebase Transit with duallies and (I think) a 3-liter V6. We had an engine tuner do a bit of "breathing" on the engine and the van was good for pretty close to 100mph with four guys, three bikes and all the tools, parts and tires. IIRC, gas mileage was about 25 mpg (British-size gallons) which is 20 US mpg.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Actually, I agree. But why can't Ford offer a Diesel in the E450? Seems to me that's a good way to compete.
They do, most cube vans are equipped with a diesel.

I asked about it at a dealer, they are available, but ridiculously expensive. They said the cost versus the savings didn't make any sense to most people.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
"We start production on Transit in 2013 in Kansas City," he said. "There is a period of time, into 2014, when we will be making and selling E-Series and Transit vans, and you'll be able to get them side-by-side at a dealer."

Levine added that although Ford is discontinuing production of the cargo and passenger models of the E-Series, the automaker will continue to produce cutaway models for most of the rest of this decade."
Ford Says All-New Transit to Offer Rear-Wheel Drive, Provides Details on Future of E-Series - Truckinginfo.com
Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
They do, most cube vans are equipped with a diesel.

I asked about it at a dealer, they are available, but ridiculously expensive. They said the cost versus the savings didn't make any sense to most people.
Triple E offered the diesel option until about 2 years ago. The sad aspect was that the HP and torque of the diesel used barely exceeded those of the V10 so it would, as you say, been ridiculously expensive and yielded little if any benefit.

I was hoping GM would be smart enough to develop its 4.5 litre Duramax for Class C MHs. 325 hp and 500 lbs ft of torque struck me as being nice, along with 12 MPG or more. Only in our dreams I guess.

Tags
chassis, ford