Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #1

Ford Transit vs Mercedes Sprinter

Why is an RV on the Sprinter chassis $20K more than on a Transit chassis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are comparing diesel to diesel for the difference, my guess is import taxes, prestige/longevity in the US market, and higher carrying capacity of the sprinter.

(The transit is well respected in Europe; new to US)

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

It seems load capacity is quite a bit less on Transits. In their favor would be engine choices and wider dealer network. I read of quite a few Sprinter maintenance issues and cost of maintenance. I would like to hear about any Transit owner experience.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #4

Maybe the "chicken tax" has something to do with it. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

As I understand it Mercedes assembles Sprinters in Germany, test drives them then disassembles them and imports them here as "kits" which are then reassembled in South Carolina. this saves MB from paying the 25% tariff but adds about 15% to the price of the Sprinter in the form of wasted labor on both ends. It looks like Ford has figured out a way around the tax by importing the Transits from Turkey as passenger vehicles with rear seats and windows, then immediately removing the rear seats etc. and scrapping them thus making the Transit back into what it was intended to be - a truck. I don't know how much this nonsense adds to the price of the Transit but it must add something. Amazing how much politics gets in the way.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wait Until The Service Starts...

When working on my Mercedes E350 sedan the dealership has mechanics dressed in Mercedes surgical gowns complete with matching gloves. (3) words: Bring your wallet because at about $200.00/hour you'll pay whatever the manufacturer service manual recommends for total hours to complete the job!

When working on my Ford/Winnebago motorhome engine/frame I have an EXCELLENT independent shop billing at $60.00/hour when I supply the parts.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Why is an RV on the Sprinter chassis $20K more than on a Transit chassis?
In my humble opinion the difference in the price tag is simply because Mercedes was the only one in the room when the dancing started. Ford came out with the Transit once they saw what Mercedes had started. Look for the differential to drop as companies like FedEx start scooping up Transits and putting the difference directly on the bottom line.

BTW, my next van will be on the Transit chassis simply because of the cost differential and the more important fact is that you can get a Transit fixed in locations you might like to RV to where the nearest Sprinter Dealer is 500 miles away and the Ford dealer is in the next town down the road.

Kern
Pleasure Way
Plateau TS
Old 06-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
transit vans are made in usa

the diesel engine is made in various countries
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
transit vans are made in usa

the diesel engine is made in various countries
and MB is going through serious worker problems in Germany, syrian refugees that are not well trained and have no real work ethic.
MB is expanding its foot print in the USA
the campus just west of Birmingham is expanding and will be building more models stateside
our smart workforce and better bang for the buck, helps alot
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
and MB is going through serious worker problems in Germany, syrian refugees that are not well trained and have no real work ethic.
MB is expanding its foot print in the USA
the campus just west of Birmingham is expanding and will be building more models stateside
our smart workforce and better bang for the buck, helps alot
I hope Mercedes can get their act together here in the US. I have my doubts. Ford has got the Transit poised to eat Mercedes lunch: lower cost and likely ten times as much repair coverage. This is a lot to overcome. Leisure Travel Vans is coming out with the Wonder on the Transit chassis in about two months. Tricked out it is about $27,000 less than the comparable Unity with the Murphy bed. Look for Winnebago and Pleasure Way to follow with a Transit chassis model.

Kern
Pleasure Way
2014 Plateau TS
Old 06-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #10

Please note that the Chicken Tax only affects light trucks. I think this is considered 6,000 GVW and under. The Transit Connect is the small van that you see running all over the place, seems every business has one. It is made in Turkey as a passenger vehicle and converted in Balitmore, MD, to a truck.

The Transit is the full sized vehicle that the OP is referring to, and it is built in the Ford plant in Kansas City. It is also built in plants overseas, but the ones sold in the US are built here in the US.

The Transit and the Transit Connect are two completely different vehicles.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford