Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The constant shifting was enough reason for me. The performance gain was also an adder. MH runs great in hills but if you are always on flat ground you probably won't see much improvement except trying to get up to speed on the on ramp to an interstate.

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD, Roadmaster Chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 2013 Honda CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and SMI brake system
Alan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #16
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To follow up on my earlier comments, I discovered in my questions some of the tune providers that all the big auto providers are required by the government to certify the MPG and performance of a particular engine and transmission in a given vehicle. The Ford V-10 is installed in many more lighter weight vehicles like pickups so that is the vehicle they use to certify the V10, with some mods to reduce HP for really tight installations where heat is a factor. What works great in a pickup that weighs 7k doesn't always translate to a high profile billboard that weighs almost 2X as much. I am no expert on this but it is what my understanding is of the bigger picture. My E350 did a lot of downshifting, sometimes dropping two gears and then the engine is screaming into the 4k rpm's and it also shifted down at the smallest of inclines. I found it to be very irritating. My tune was not a five star tune but a Brazel Ultra Tune but I think all tuners are very similar and a great many people report that they are happy with both of them. Brazel is more expensive but then they also have a Dyno in their shop to test their tunes on. I have never priced a Dyno big enough to handle 40' diesel pushers but it can't be cheap. IMHO, what I think they are really doing is tuning your MH engine and transmission to match the vehicle you are driving instead an engine tranny combination that was tuned for the masses.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD, Roadmaster Chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 2013 Honda CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and SMI brake system
Alan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #17
thanks to all for the responses. I installed the 5 star tune and a k&n air filter. I have towed ford focus on two trips. up hills and mountains. amazing power compared stock. no more going into high rpm's for hills. shift and throttle response was very good. the 5 star tune works very well. richmain
richmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
Anyone here use this tuner in colorado? Would be interested in the results

Mtns of Colorado
Greyhawk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #19
I live near Lake Tahoe and have to go through the mountains to go anywhere. The 5 Star Tuner made a huge difference for me.

Retired RV Technician
Travlin the West
Winnebago Outlook, Victory Vision, Silverado 3500, Dog ,Wife ( not in that order)
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote