Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Ford V-10 Tuning

anyone out there have a 5 star tune in use on a 2013 class c 26ft. winne .motorhome. I am towing a ford focus four down. I could use more power and torque . would the tune help. living in front range Colorado. thanks richmain

richmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
If your unit is under warranty, I would not attempt anything that would void it. Other members can provide info on the 5 star tune, but from what I have read, it gets mixed results.

bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The five star tune provides much improved drivability and shifting - stops most of the unnecessary downshifting for low/moderate inclines. Does not do so much for power per se. there are many threads findable via search. I think you will rind most satisfied users, I know I am.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
The 5 Star tune will not void your warranty if used according to the instructions.
If you choose to have more power (hp and Tq.) Mike can add more than one tune to meet your needs. The highest power RV tune requires premium fuel but will gain you aprox. 25hp-25tq. on E V-10 engine.
2016 Thor Tuscany 34ST XTE, Freightliner XCR, ISB 360hp/800tq. Allison 3000, Koni FSD shocks, Roadmaster 1.75" front sway bar, Safe-T-Plus, DYI air bag flow control valves.
2015 Jeep Willy's Wheeler Wrangler Unlimited Toad, Ready-Brute-Elite tow system.
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
I am pulling more weight than you. Have plenty of power
Have a Ford a Flex for a toad.
Tom & Bonnie
2008 Winnebago Aspect 29H
A Class C Not a B+
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just installed the 5-star on my Greyhawk so I don't have all the info yet, but it definitely has a better shifting pattern and throttle response. I am interested to see if it does anything for mpg or hill shifting (I have only used it on flat ground so far).
2012 Greyhawk 31DS
2012 Ford Edge Toad
a_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
I have the 87 octane tune on my 2010 Winnebago outlook. I can't believe the improvement in the driveability it made. I also added the banks complete exhaust including torque tubes. It now runs like a nascar. I didn't change the intake except for adding a K&N air filter. Well worth the money.
Retired RV Technician
Travlin the West
Winnebago Outlook, Victory Vision, Silverado 3500, Dog ,Wife ( not in that order)
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
For me, the prior owner had a tune and the rig lugged too long in gear before shifting. I actually found it to be better at stock than the tune and I gained 1 mpg returning to stock. I may try another tune later, but am holding off for now until figuring a better tune option.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
I have the complete banks kit from air filter to the exhaust tip. It came with a Tune. I have gotten up to 12mpg on flat ground and no cruise control but overall towing a 3 thousand pound load it averages 7.5mpg. I think my coils are going bad. I have a little missfire under a load and when I put in the 87 oct 5 star tune the miss got so bad I lost lots of power and the mileage went down to 5mpg in Texas hills. I had to go back to stock tune to keep going even the Banks tune wouldnt run well enough. While we are Staying in Sacramento are I will replace the coils n plugs and check the 5star tune again.
winnymini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
More mixed results

I used my 5-star tuner about two weeks ago, for the first time, on my 2006 Four Winds 25ft. on the Ford E-350 Chassis with the 5.4L. (Factory rebuilt, installed last fall).

The tuner, for my engine, only had one pre-programmed tune available. By default it installs an economy tune. Two miles from my house I knew I would be returning it to stock. An immediate loss of power, in my case. But I was on the road and continued to drive.

Approx 60 miles away I had to climb a steep grade. Under stock, I can crest the mountain at 50-55 mph. With the tune installed, 35mph. But the grade going down the other side was just down right scary. NO transmission downshift (I was in tow mode the entire trip). I had to pump my brakes all the way down to prevent from running away. I pulled over a little farther down the road and returned it to stock. WHEW!!!

I understand this is not the same engine as yours, but I wanted to post this for anyone who may be reading this (or searched under 5-star tuner) and have the same, or similar, set up as mine.

When I programmed the tune I did notice there was no towing tune like both the instructions and web page said their would be. I called 5-star tune and was told then (after I purchased it) that there was only octane tunes available for the 5.4L.

Anyone wanna buy a tuner?
2007 Four Winds Majestic 23A,
1982 Jeep J20 Truck, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2006 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, 2008 Jeep Commander
Md_06Unltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I stumbled on to this article in search of something else but I wanted to share that I did have a Brazel Ultra Tune on my 24' 2006 Phoenix Cruiser on a Ford F350 chassis. I cannot speak to anything about mountains up or down, only hills. I was totally impressed with how great the shifting points were and the throttle response of the V-10. My understanding was that they can offer more improvements on newer engines. It drastically reduced all the downshifting on small grades which I would think would be a lot less wear and tear on the transmission. Brazel's is not as cheap as 5-Star but I felt it was more complete. Only my opinion. I had an increase of .5 to 1 MPG.

Alan Wilson
2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD, Roadmaster Chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 2013 Honda CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and SMI brake system
Alan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
We have a 2012 (Thor) Freedom Elite 26E with the V-10 on a E-450 chassis towing a Jeep Wrangler 4 down. This is completely stock with 50K on it with that said our overall average on 2 trips from WV to AZ was 7.5 mpg, we never dropped below 50 mph on the steepest grades - performance wise I am extremely happy with this rig - would like a couple of more mpg but otherwise no problems.

I would take yours in if you are having that much of a performance issue towing a Focus
2012 Freedom Elite 26E V-10 E-450 Chassis, Tandem Tow Dolly HDXL hauling 2011 Harley Softail Convertible,2012 Yamaha V-Star & 2011 Jeep JK
GunnyClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
I am pulling more weight than you. Have plenty of power
Have a Ford a Flex for a toad.
Same here. Only reason I would even entertain tuning would be to get more MPG. I have been really happy withe power and performance of the E450 pulling our Flex.
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
Would be nice to gain some mpg. Just not sure .5 mpg or so gain is worth the cost.

Greyhawk31 is offline   Reply With Quote