RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #1

Ford V10 limits

Picked up a 2018 Thor PD31 with the 6 speed transmission. This past weekend was the first time I got my rig out and tried pulling my Jeep TJ fir the first time. Hit some mild hills around Branson Missouri. Had the Tow Haul engaged. It seemed pretty quick to downshift and get into the 4500 rpm range. Started thinking about future drives thru the Rockies.... when you hit the big hills what do you guys do, just keep your foot in it ? Any harm in running it at 4500 Rpm's up those long mountain runs ?

Jacksonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

The Ford V10 likes high RPMs.

Its got 10 small cylinders with light pistons, that spin up easily.

The old big V8s had less and larger, heavier pistons. The larger the piston, the slower it can change direction in the cylinder.

Big diesel engines with huge pistons can only turn 2300 RPMs.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

The old big V8s had less and larger, heavier pistons. The larger the piston, the slower it can change direction in the cylinder.

The stroke has a lot to do with limiting RPM as well.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

Agreed, the V10 is designed to run at high RPMS. Peak TQ is around 3,250rpms and peak HP about 4,000rpms if I remember correctly.
BlueThunder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #5

You will be fine.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Read the reviews on 5 star tunes, best $400 bucks i have ever spen t on a e450
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a v 10 and i lived out west, had the eary 275hp with 4 speed i rember going accross I 40 foot to the floor for a day in 50mph headwinds in 95 degree heat with a/c on, got 5.1 mpg, lol motor is bulletproof
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Foot down and let it spin. Up the mountain you will go. Albeit sometimes pretty slowly...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #9

I had an early 275 hp V-10 in a Damon Challenger, no slides, pulling a tow-dolly. I was very disappointed in it's power. We used it to make our annual trip to AZ. so ran I-40. When on the cruise, when it came to a hill, if the engine lugged down to far, the cruise would trip out, and by the time you got your foot on the pedal, it had lost all its momentum. It then took a long time to get back up to speed. The transmission was constantly shifting on hills. I sold the Challenger, and bought a Discovery with an ISB Cummins, same horsepower, 6 spd. Allison. What a surprise! The difference between 410 ft. lbs. of torque vs. 600 ft lbs. is almost scary, and what a surprise!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
I had an early 275 hp V-10 in a Damon Challenger, no slides, pulling a tow-dolly. I was very disappointed in it's power. We used it to make our annual trip to AZ. so ran I-40. When on the cruise, when it came to a hill, if the engine lugged down to far, the cruise would trip out, and by the time you got your foot on the pedal, it had lost all its momentum. It then took a long time to get back up to speed. The transmission was constantly shifting on hills. I sold the Challenger, and bought a Discovery with an ISB Cummins, same horsepower, 6 spd. Allison. What a surprise! The difference between 410 ft. lbs. of torque vs. 600 ft lbs. is almost scary, and what a surprise!
Took I40 January 2017 from Barstow to Albuquerque in my 2015 Fleetwood Terra SE 33s ran 70 mph much of the way. Slowed on so w hills but the V10 can run all day at 4500 or even a few more.
Tow/Haul is awesome on downhill and brakes are needed very little.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:19 AM   #11
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an early model 275hp V10. with the 4R100 transmission (3 speed with OD). MH and toad weigh 23,000 lbs.. No problem in Rockies. I can't make the climbs at the legal speed limit, but I do make the climbs.. I generally manually force the downshifts to maintain a speed that will give me 4000 - 4500 rpm..

Rpms is your friend. if you're faced with a very steep climb and question if the MH can make the climb, do not allow the transmission to up-shift into lower rpm range. Keep the rpms up until you've reached the top. Full power is only produced at high rpms.

i.e. going up I-70 to the Eisenhower tunnel, elevation 11,000 ft. I make the last couple miles turning 4,000 rpm, in 1st gear at about 25 mph.. Not a problem as I'm usually in the line of 18 wheelers climbing up the hill at the same speed..

When I go downhill, if its a steep descent and the MH is trying to build up speed I'll do the same thing, slow down and force a manual downshift to maintain a speed that I don't need to use the brakes. i.e. On some interstate descents (I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix) I'll slow to 45 mph and downshift to 2nd, about 4,000 rpm. This gives me a speed that I don't need to use the brakes.. on really steep descents, US-60 east of Globe, I'll make the descent in 1st gear, doing 25 mph.

I understand a lot of RVers don't like the shifting of the 6 speed and have installed the 5-star tune to improve the shift points.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #12

Smile Ford V-10 Limits

Iím new to this deal and bought a new Thor Four Winds class c on a Ford E-450 chassis. First off they only come partially assembled and painted. Being a farmer you get used to fixing, making due, improving and inventing.
I ran the brand new motor coach through our shop and re-routed wires off the springs, put truck mud flaps on all around because two of the factory ones were gone before I ever got it it home. We totally repainted the underside with some nuclear bomb resistant paint so it looks quite respectable now. After spending much time creeping on this and other forums I took their advice to heart. Out came the dinette set, built a new counter top and finished it off with two very nice captains chairs from shop 4 seats. The passenger seats are better than the van seats.
Then back underneath we put four Bilstein shocks and steering damper, Hedwig heavy duty front and rear anti-sway bars. Then off came the whole exhaust system and in went a Banks power pack header set and flow thru exhaust system to take full advantage of the five star tuner. It has a nice gentle rumble. February 14 we set out from Utah to Louisville Kentucky, about 1600 miles. We needed to make time the first few days to get to destination. We have no toad and not the least bit loaded up to capacity.
The first day out was 10 degrees and night too. From all I have read here and scary stories about stock chassis, we experienced none of the horror stories. This motor home climbs hills and runs 80 mph all day with no problems. I wouldnít recommend that, the idea is to enjoy the trip but we were pushed for time and wanted to make the chassis work to get it broke in. Semi trucks passing are a non issue and the real surprise was going on several hundred miles of very hilly , twisty back roads south of Nashville how well the motorhome cornered and handled the road.
The only real problem was getting a chance to drive because my wife kept getting behind the wheel. Sometimes Iíd ask her to make me a sandwich, then jump in the drivers seat and take off. It sounds sort of reckless and I donít mean it to. It isnít like a car or pickup but for a flimsy box on wheels we were quite impressed once we finally got it built.
Having said all of the above the one thing that was scary were the 60 mph crosswinds winds going thru Kansas. On a normal trip one would have shut down for the day. Power and tipping werenít a problem but staying in the designated lane could be. You are oversteering to stay put, a semi goes by on the leeward side, removes the wind and you about smack the side of the truck.
Pay attention here, listen to the seasoned travelers, do what works for you and have fun. I am and get lots of chuckles from reading these pages. Nowhere do you see such a mixture of people for which money is no object, to people of very modest means. To see their approaches to and methods of problem solving is very enjoyable and enlightening.
JohnNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

My ISX is limited to 2100 rpm under power, might be 2300 when using the engine brake.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #14

I put a 5 star custom tune in my 2011 E-450 MH V-10 , huge difference, look into 5 star tuning 🤙

toyotech358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10