Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #29

We have a 2012 Impulse 26 footer. It has the V-10 and the first time we took it out we experienced a lot of high rpm when climbing. We got the 5star tune for 87 octane and it has been a lot better. We get between 7-9 MPG depending on wind, climbing and speed. We have only driven in the west, but have had no problems climbing in the mountains in Colorado. Again like other people have said, choose the floor plan that you like and go for it.

colokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by colokidd View Post
We have a 2012 Impulse 26 footer. It has the V-10 and the first time we took it out we experienced a lot of high rpm when climbing. We got the 5star tune for 87 octane and it has been a lot better. We get between 7-9 MPG depending on wind, climbing and speed. We have only driven in the west, but have had no problems climbing in the mountains in Colorado. Again like other people have said, choose the floor plan that you like and go for it.

Are you sure you have a 26 footer? If you have a 26QP that means 27 feet 10 inches long for 2011 and I note that in 2013 they say it is 27 ft 11 inches.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #31

If you're buying new, most floorplans are available on either frame. P.S - Guys in the used RV business will tell you that if they have 2 identical units, one ford, one GM, the Ford will be an easier sell. Jackson Sales is one of the well known used dealers in the U.S. They've sold countless RVs, and Bob Dale has praised the V10 advantages numerous times
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1- We have had 2 v10's and love them.

2- Floor plan and slides, vveery inportant.

3- MPG based on your foot.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Chevrolet isn't making anymore chassis cabs for Class C use. I believe they just stopped making the cabs for the Super Cs as well. You will find a few new ones left but your choice today is Ford or Ford. If you go with a smaller C which some call a "Super B" you can get a Mercedes.

For me personally when driving an RV regardless of who made the chassis the most important thing is the steering. You really don't want a great deal of play in an RV steering wheel. Driving on a windy day will tend to make you very sore from fighting the wheel.

Floor plan is paramount. If you have an RV that corners like a Ferrari but if you don't like the living space you aren't going to be happy. (The chances of finding such a vehicle are slim to none but if you do find one I would love to take a test drive...)
Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
Chevrolet isn't making anymore chassis cabs for Class C use. I believe they just stopped making the cabs for the Super Cs as well. You will find a few new ones left but your choice today is Ford or Ford. If you go with a smaller C which some call a "Super B" you can get a Mercedes.
Not to sure where you get your info. GM ceased production of the Kodiak Super C Medium Duty Trucks in the summer of 2009.

GM made several attempts to sell the MDT line over a few years. At two different times it appeared Navistar was going to be the buyer but after that fell through they simply shut down the line. That left manufacturers like Jayco without a cut away for their Seneca. In fact most manufacturers of Super C's who used the Kodiak tried to dump their inventory but a year or so later wished they'd hung on to them since the demand was still pretty good.

General Motors (GM) medium-duty truck production to cease | Fleet Owner | Fleet Management content from Fleet Owner Magazine

Are you sure that GM will no longer be supplying its van chassis (the Kodiak was a truck not a van) to motorhome manufacturers? I get RVBiz and I sure don't recall seeing this news - but I've missed a few things in the past.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeloughry View Post
Hi,

A major difference in the two Class C's we're considering is that the Four Winds Chateau 21 has a Ford V10 and the Freelander QB21 has a Chevy V8.

We're heard that the V10 gets about 2 mpg less and that it heats up the cab.

Please comment on your experience with v8s and v10s - such as the benefits and drawbacks of each. Thanks!!!
Hi tdeloughry,
Either one of those engines will move an RV of that size down the road with no problem and should get pretty good mpg's. I don't know anything about the Chevy v8 so I can't comment. Mine is a 32 footer with the v10. We have no issues with heat in the floor of the cab. Foot and leg room is limited by the dog house but this is something I am used to as I have driven this type of configuration (Ford vans) for over over 20 years. You will have a lot of noise when getting up in the higher torque range (love the power of the v10). Over 4k miles so far I have averaged 8.5 mpg while towing my car on a dolly. The car on the dolly puts me right at the 5k limit for my RV. I have no issues towing with the exception of slow take offs on highway ramps. Once we are underway you can't even tell you are towing. With a 21 footer you should have plenty of power. Like the other posters have said go with the floorplan you like, either engine will be fine in a 21 footer. Hope this helps you out and good luck.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Maddawgs View Post
made several attempts to sell the MDT line over a few years. At two different times it appeared Navistar was going to be the buyer but after that fell through they simply shut down the line. That left manufacturers like Jayco without a cut away for their Seneca. In fact most manufacturers of Super C's who used the Kodiak tried to dump their inventory but a year or so later wished they'd hung on to them since the demand was still pretty good.

Are you sure that GM will no longer be supplying its van chassis (the Kodiak was a truck not a van) to motorhome manufacturers? I get RVBiz and I sure don't recall seeing this news - but I've missed a few things in the past.
The word I got was that during the bailout and the death of Saturn and Pontiac that they also closed production permanently on the chassis cabs from both Dodge and Chevrolet. I think but am not exactly sure but the chassis cabs were used for more than just RV and the ambulances and other panel trucks went overwhelmingly for Ford so it wasn't to their advantage to continue production. That isn't to say that they wont try to get back into the market once the economy picks up again.
Chevrolet is still making the LT (Light Truck) Chassis Cabs but the RV industry with a few exceptions use a cargo van chassis to reduce overall length.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
The word I got was that during the bailout and the death of Saturn and Pontiac that they also closed production permanently on the chassis cabs from both Dodge and Chevrolet. I think but am not exactly sure but the chassis cabs were used for more than just RV and the ambulances and other panel trucks went overwhelmingly for Ford so it wasn't to their advantage to continue production. That isn't to say that they wont try to get back into the market once the economy picks up again.
Chevrolet is still making the LT (Light Truck) Chassis Cabs but the RV industry with a few exceptions use a cargo van chassis to reduce overall length.
You simply got the wrong word - poor source.

GM had been trying to sell its MDT division for some time. I'm the owner of the Kodiak Yahoo Group and I assure you it was a topic of discussion way back. The Kodiak/TopKick was used for ambulances, buses, dump trucks, etc. When GM pulled the plug it was not good for the MH industry. Surprisingly no MH manufacturer went to the F series Ford.

Jayco had the lions share of the Kodiak market selling 900 units a year. It replaced the Kodiak with the Freightliner chassis with Cummins diesel. Price is somewhat higher though. At a Kodiak rally in Elkhart in July 2010 Jayco brought in a Freightliner cutaway so our group could inspect it.

Chev did not stop production of the cutaways for regular Class C use. If you look at the Coachmen site, for example, you will find its Freelander is available on a 4500 Chevy chassis. The GVWR is now 14,200 lbs and GCWR is 20,000 lbs so I suspect sales will improve somewhat. For some reason Coachmen and Forest River don't use them for their longer heavier Class C units.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
My understanding is Class C Chevy Motorhome Chassis' were bought by Workhorse. 2000 was the last year apparently.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #39

I'll skip the part about which unit you may choose, but will 'address' the difference in the two engines (Class A's). The Ford is a gutless wonder, the power out of the other is very apparent going up hills.

First 'A' was a 32 foot Fleetwood, loved that thing, just wish I'd opted in for two what should have been obvious upgrades (had I knew what I was doing) and never would have traded that one in on a bet.

The second (my 02 Gulf Stream) is a 36 footer, but EVERYTHING GOES up in size/scale. This unit must out weigh the first by several thousands of pounds, and the GMC engine? The difference in power is far more than 'just obvious.'

Same long grades on I-5 and the Ford (far newer unit) would drop down to as low as 2nd gear just to maintain 30mph. The 'older' GMC ... just reach over and click off the Over Drive switch and you were good to go.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post
My understanding is Class C Chevy Motorhome Chassis' were bought by Workhorse. 2000 was the last year apparently.
I think you will find they only sold the Class A biz and part of it included supplying the 8.1 engine.

A few years ago some C's with Workhorse on them appeared but they were built entirely by GM and the WH label was just that they had "consulted" with GM. Workhorse got concerned about warranty issues and made it very clear on its web site that the Class C units were not theirs and should be taken to a GM dealer for warranty and service.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #41

Ours isn't that bad and we downsized from a Kodiak with the 8.1 so a direct comparison is possible.

The Chev 4500 chassis now being used appears to be a huge improvement and there is some video around showing a match up with respect to acceleration, economy, etc based on a 4500 and an E450 with identical cube boxes on them.

If this video was not rigged Ford is destined to lose a good chunk of its market.

I have a problem with the video in that our mileage (and we are heavier than their test units) is better and we sure find we can go a lot faster than 65 up and down I-75 at the north end of Tennessee - towing a car behind us.

One thing that people have to realize is that the E450 does not use the 3 valve engine and puts out only 305 HP and 420 Ft Lbs of torque - much less than the 3 valve used in Class A units. The 8.1 we had in our Kodiak also had less HP and torque than the Class A version of the engine.

Chevy 4500 Vs Ford E-450 - Road Test - Video Dailymotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I'll skip the part about which unit you may choose, but will 'address' the difference in the two engines (Class A's). The Ford is a gutless wonder, the power out of the other is very apparent going up hills.

First 'A' was a 32 foot Fleetwood, loved that thing, just wish I'd opted in for two what should have been obvious upgrades (had I knew what I was doing) and never would have traded that one in on a bet.

The second (my 02 Gulf Stream) is a 36 footer, but EVERYTHING GOES up in size/scale. This unit must out weigh the first by several thousands of pounds, and the GMC engine? The difference in power is far more than 'just obvious.'

Same long grades on I-5 and the Ford (far newer unit) would drop down to as low as 2nd gear just to maintain 30mph. The 'older' GMC ... just reach over and click off the Over Drive switch and you were good to go.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #42

Don t worry about the 2mpgs the V10 is a great engine, we have put 75k on ours in 4 years and love the power and ride. We get 10 to 11 mpg almost always.
Don

Tags
ford, v10