Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow

I think you will find they only sold the Class A biz and part of it included supplying the 8.1 engine.

A few years ago some C's with Workhorse on them appeared but they were built entirely by GM and the WH label was just that they had "consulted" with GM. Workhorse got concerned about warranty issues and made it very clear on its web site that the Class C units were not theirs and should be taken to a GM dealer for warranty and service.
Thanks. Im on mobile and can't see your rig. What do you have? What engine? I see you pulling some vehicle. Is it light weight? I assume so.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720

My 27 ft chevy with a 454 has plenty of power and torque and gets 11mpg. I haven't have any of those problems you list with it and it's an 86.
Mine has performed well also. I have the 454 V8 7.4L. I did replace the MAF sensor just recently. Piece of cake.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post
Thanks. Im on mobile and can't see your rig. What do you have? What engine? I see you pulling some vehicle. Is it light weight? I assume so.

Have a 2011 27 ft 10 inch Itasca Impulse on a E450 and tow a 2011 Escape.

Previously a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 32SS on Chevy Kodiak with a Chevy 8.1 Vortec, Allison 1000 6 speed, towing a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. Prior to that a 2006 HR Ambassador 40 PLQ with 8.3 Cummins and Allison 3000 towing the Tahoe and prior to that a Colorado. Prior to the HR, a 2004 Winnie Journey 39W with Cat C7 and Allison 3000 towing Colorado. And first was a 2000 Triple E Commander (our only used unit) 34 ft, on Ford F53 with 4 speed transmission - didn't tow because DW was of the view anyone who had to two a car behind a motorhome simply didn't know how to plan their trip. Experience proved her wrong.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow

Have a 2011 27 ft 10 inch Itasca Impulse on a E450 and tow a 2011 Escape.

Previously a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 32SS on Chevy Kodiak with a Chevy 8.1 Vortec, Allison 1000 6 speed, towing a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. Prior to that a 2006 HR Ambassador 40 PLQ with 8.3 Cummins and Allison 3000 towing the Tahoe and prior to that a Colorado. Prior to the HR, a 2004 Winnie Journey 39W with Cat C7 and Allison 3000 towing Colorado. And first was a 2000 Triple E Commander (our only used unit) 34 ft, on Ford F53 with 4 speed transmission - didn't tow because DW was of the view anyone who had to two a car behind a motorhome simply didn't know how to plan their trip. Experience proved her wrong.
I thought about towing DW's Escape with us. Lighter than my Explorer. I wonder how much gas I will burn extra with the V8 454?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I stand Corrected

After some exhaustive research I have to admit that I stand corrected. Chevrolet IS still making the 4500 series chassis cab. As shown below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevy Express 4500.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	23242

The question is, why aren't most RV manufacturers using them anymore? I called several dealers to ask why they claim that there is a production problem with Chevrolet. Ford has the capability to mass produce the V10 but Chevrolet isn't as fast. The second reason is that the Ford's chassis comes stock with 300 more LBS in the GVWR and in some of the larger models that is important. They gave several other reasons but they sounded more like personal opinion so I wont give them credence.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger
After some exhaustive research I have to admit that I stand corrected. Chevrolet IS still making the 4500 series chassis cab. As shown below.

The question is, why aren't most RV manufacturers using them anymore? I called several dealers to ask why they claim that there is a production problem with Chevrolet. Ford has the capability to mass produce the V10 but Chevrolet isn't as fast. The second reason is that the Ford's chassis comes stock with 300 more LBS in the GVWR and in some of the larger models that is important. They gave several other reasons but they sounded more like personal opinion so I wont give them credence.
There is an RV down the road with that Chevy front end.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
Attachment 23242

I'm surprised that GM can't get production levels up. The 300 lb difference is fairly recent as it was more like 2000 lbs earlier before GM upped the anti. Then, its competition was the E350 - which I'd never buy and one manufacturer told me they'd never build on. If that video wasn't cooked GM should be able to capture a much larger share of this market and force Ford to get off of its butt and improve the E450 - although I expect to see Ford put the improvements into the larger version of the Transit, which I think is used for MHs in Europe and Australia. If that comparison was truthful, I wouldn't hesitate to switch to a Chev chassis if I change MHs again - although we have been thinking the next one might well be a View - but we'd like the 24V floor plan with an overhead bed, which they aren't doing at this time.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
If that video wasn't cooked GM should be able to capture a much larger share of this market and force Ford to get off of its butt and improve the E450 - although I expect to see Ford put the improvements into the larger version of the Transit, which I think is used for MHs in Europe and Australia. If that comparison was truthful, I wouldn't hesitate to switch to a Chev chassis if I change MHs again - although we have been thinking the next one might well be a View - but we'd like the 24V floor plan with an overhead bed, which they aren't doing at this time.
2012 is officially the last year of the Ford E Series van. 2013 the Ford Transit will be taking it's place. I am not sure if they will be making it in a style that is big enough to accommodate a large class C. We shall see...

Mercedes is the front end on some small Class C's but I have yet to see a floor plan that I like.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
2012 is officially the last year of the Ford E Series van. 2013 the Ford Transit will be taking it's place. I am not sure if they will be making it in a style that is big enough to accommodate a large class C. We shall see...

Mercedes is the front end on some small Class C's but I have yet to see a floor plan that I like.
I think Ford plans to continue the the cab chassis (van cutaway) for the Rv industry. It is just the van they are replacing.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2001 class c on the Chevy chassis. Last year of the 454. Has been a good rig. On Ford, the long term plan is to discontinue the E series, but initially they will sell it along side the transit, which will be known as the T-Series. Think of this like what Ford did in 1997. When the new F150 came out, the 250 and 350 continued for a time to be made on their old chassis platform until Ford was ready with their new "super duty". It sure seems like they plan to do the same here, allowing the existing plant to finish out the E series line while they provide a heavier duty version as time progresses on the T-Series.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/08/h...ling-e-series/

Tags
ford, v10