Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Ford V10 vs. Mercedes V6 diesel

Assuming we are comparing the same brand Class C or B+ coaches, e.g. Winnebago or Phoenix Cruiser or other, who wins the power, towing, mpg and handling race? I've read conflicting stories and want to downsize but don't know whether to go gas or diesel.

WCVonderburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
If I had a choice it would be a Mer/Benz- no comparison. But then I bought a CUMMINGS
class A - go figure.

skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCVonderburg View Post
Assuming we are comparing the same brand Class C or B+ coaches, e.g. Winnebago or Phoenix Cruiser or other, who wins the power, towing, mpg and handling race? I've read conflicting stories and want to downsize but don't know whether to go gas or diesel.
Are you sure the Mercedes is even available in your conventional Class C? If you are thinking the Freightliner chassis, then I would go diesel.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
Are you sure the Mercedes is even available in your conventional Class C? If you are thinking the Freightliner chassis, then I would go diesel.
I'm assuming they're considering the Sprinter-based chassis which uses the Mercedes V-6 diesel.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Ford V10 vs. Mercedes V6 diesel

Correct. Considering a Sprinter chassis vs. Ford F450. I'm under the impression that the new Ford V10 has more power and more torque. I've read in forums that the Sprinter narrower chassis and taller box can make strong cross winds pretty dicey. I've also read that the advertised 20 mpg on the diesel ain't gonna happen. Gas still seems cheaper. On a good flat road and optimal conditions, I can get 10-11 mpg on my 8.1L Workhorse Class A. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sprinter Class B

< I've read in forums that the Sprinter narrower chassis and taller box can make strong cross winds pretty dicey.>

My tow vehicle is a 2004 Forest River Class B motorhome built on the Sprinter Van.
I drove 45 minutes into the heart of Hurricane Jeanne. The winds were reported to be 115 mph. Although we bounced around, we did not turn over. You can disregard any concerns about cross winds.

I was an idiot. Will not happen again.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #7

Just from the standpoint of service facilities, believe I would lean toward the Ford v10, however the MB v6 probably give better fuel mileage.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #8

Can anyone out therw with a class B+/C on the Sprinter chassis comment on the acutal mpg you are getting? How about the Ford chassis Winnebago Outlook class C? We are looking at the Winnie on the Sprinter as well as the 2010 Winnie Outlook 29B with hydraulic levelers.

Thanks

RRV
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #9

Anybody else think this is an apples-to-oranges comparison? You're talking about two different frames with completely different handling and aerodynamic characteristics, making, at best, difficult, and at worst, meaningless, to draw any meaningful conclusions.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
apples-to-oranges comparison

<apples-to-oranges comparison>

This is the comparision he is asking for info on. Why wonder what he is comparing.

My 2004 Forest river Class B gets 20 mph in neutral wind. With a head wind down to 17. With a tailwind 25.

Remember my sprinter is a standard van, 5 cylinder, converted only inside. The newer sprinters have a larger box with slide outs and are 6 cylinders.

Two campers I have asked about mileage have reported 15 to 17 mpg on the later model 6 cylinders.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #11

Take the Ford chassis out of the equation and you might get some meaningful answers. dbear is right, they are vastly different animals.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From the data that I have seen the weight capacities of the Mercedes based chassis are at least 2000 lbs less than the Ford Chassis and I believe from pictures I have seen the distance from out to out at the rear wheels is much less on the MB.
We had a Ford 98 Super Duty Chassis 29 Ft Tioga and it would have over loaded the MB chassis
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Thanks to all!

Why? Pretty simple, really. We want to downsize and the current market, with closeout discounts is in the $75-95K range for gas and diesel. Some manufacturers offer a B+/C with either gas (usually Ford) or diesel (often MB). Of course they have a different chassis and house construction and handling characteristics.

But for the same money, one has to decide whether one wants the heavy hauler (C) or the nimble (B+). I was just looking for pros and cons of both.
Right now, a Ford-based Phoenix Cruiser 2551 or Winnebago Aspect looks pretty good for our needs.

All we have to do now is sell an '03 Tiffin Allego . . . wish us luck
Old 11-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCVonderburg View Post
I have a friend that deliver's parts and travels all over LA and he swears by his Sprinter with the MB diesel. He love's the milage and reliability. I owned a Monaco LaPalma with a ford V10 and never had a problem. My personal choice would be the diesel.