Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Four Corner Weighing - Dallas-Fort Worth (TX.)

Does anyone know of place within the DFW metro area that does four corner (each wheel) RV weighing? I've found a bunch that weigh each axle, but not each corner. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you wait a few weeks, these folks will be in Austin:

Weighing Schedule

You might contact them and see if they'll be anywhere closer to you.

Also if you check at some of these locations:

Weigh Station Scales Texas TX Locations Map

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Moving companies will usually have truck scales that you can get off to one side or the other to weigh each corner.

Rock quarries, etc will also have truck scales.

Call around and see if one of them will let you weigh at their place.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Thank you for these suggestions. I can see I have a bit of homework.

Take care
Old 11-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Just find a trick stop with cat scales.

Pull one side on the scale the other side will be on fixed part of the scale.

get two weight, tell them you want a re weight

Back up repeat for the other side done
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Just find a trick stop with cat scales.

Pull one side on the scale the other side will be on fixed part of the scale.

get two weight, tell them you want a re weight

Back up repeat for the other side done
Gee, sounds so simple, except for one thing. Almost very Cat scale I've seen has curbs or even Jersey barriers funneling you onto the scales so you can't just weigh one side then the other. If you know of a Cat scale set up without barriers or curbs, please let us know.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-29-2015, 05:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Almost everyone I saw was capable, no problem, you may need to look at few more to find one.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #8

FWIW.....we have a Waste Management recycling center in our area (that's the name of our regional refuse/recycling company.....maybe yours is the same.). They have a large scale (with no side barriers or restrictions) that accomodates a wide range of trucks, trailers and axle combinations. Every loaded truck leaving their facility must be weighed.....by state law where we live.

I have weighed our coach there twice in the last 4 years.....total weight, individual front/rear axle weights and each corner weight. Very simple, very fast and no charge. Like most facilities, they have periods when vehicle traffic is negligible, and, during those times, the lady behind the glass at our facility has been happy to assist us. The one time, I had to wait for about 20 minutes until traffic "cleared".....but no big deal at all. Of course, both times when I finished, I was happy to hand over the ten dollar bill that I swore had just fallen out of her pocket when she handed me the official weight statement. Small price to pay for setting correct tire pressures and for peace of mind, right?

You might want to see if you have such a facility near you that can assist you. I think you'll find that most of these folks are hard-working types that are more than happy to help. Hope that helps....
Old 11-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
FWIW.....we have a Waste Management recycling center in our area (that's the name of our regional refuse/recycling company.....maybe yours is the same.). They have a large scale (with no side barriers or restrictions) that accomodates a wide range of trucks, trailers and axle combinations. Every loaded truck leaving their facility must be weighed.....by state law where we live.

I have weighed our coach there twice in the last 4 years.....total weight, individual front/rear axle weights and each corner weight. Very simple, very fast and no charge. Like most facilities, they have periods when vehicle traffic is negligible, and, during those times, the lady behind the glass at our facility has been happy to assist us. The one time, I had to wait for about 20 minutes until traffic "cleared".....but no big deal at all. Of course, both times when I finished, I was happy to hand over the ten dollar bill that I swore had just fallen out of her pocket when she handed me the official weight statement. Small price to pay for setting correct tire pressures and for peace of mind, right?

You might want to see if you have such a facility near you that can assist you. I think you'll find that most of these folks are hard-working types that are more than happy to help. Hope that helps....

Did your coach gain weight like the rest of us do over time?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Did your coach gain weight like the rest of us do over time?
Our used Class C is new to us and we just want to know how the weight is distributed on the two (2) axles and each corner. And actually, we have removed quite a bit of the original owner's stuff so we're certainly lighter than when we started.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Similar to what HeapBigEngin commented...

Many metal recycling yards have scales the you drive on to be weighed before and after you drop your load of scrap metal. A friend told me about one in our area and there are others in most major metropolitan regions. No charge but you may need to wait on the side if there is a line of "real" customers.

I drove in recently and weighed front and rear axles and then added all my camping equipment to my Suburban then weighed again. If I had wanted to do all four corners of the tow vehicle that would have been fine - just use the method described in one of the other posts above.

It was surprising that the relatively small drop from the pavement to the scale platform played a little trick on me because the drop-off "moved" weight from the front to the back, via the center of gravity/roll center of the vehicle, so my total weights and individual weights were off by a few pounds. Nothing too major in the scheme of things but it may happen to you too if you have a small drop-off from the pavement to the scale.
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Another place to check out would be a grain elevator. This time of year they aren't too busy. Many other places have scales to weigh a large vehicle.

Bob & Donna