Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank

Just purchased my 1st RV last week. Is there a way where I can treat my fresh water tank to sure the water is sanitary? I have a hose with a filter on it but I still do not know if anything is "growing" in the fresh water tank. Any info please.
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Search and you find a variety of posts regarding how to sanitize your fresh water sysstem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

Wow! Guess I should start doing searches before I post. There are tons of threads on sanitizing tanks. From reading through multiple threads, it sounds like I should sanitize my fresh water tank with clorox and run some clorox through my city water supply lines as well. Do all of you do this as well?
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisingCajun View Post
Wow! Guess I should start doing searches before I post. There are tons of threads on sanitizing tanks. From reading through multiple threads, it sounds like I should sanitize my fresh water tank with clorox and run some clorox through my city water supply lines as well. Do all of you do this as well?
I have not sanitized my tanks in the 2 seasons that we have had the Cambria. I do have both a whole house filter inside and use an inline filter on my fresh water hose. We only use the water for cleaning and not drinking. For drinking and cooking we always bring a case of Poland Spring.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisingCajun View Post
We don't get nearly as much use out of our RV as I would like, so when we get home from a trip, I drain the fresh water tank and open the low point system drains. When we get ready to leave next, I close everything up, hook up the fill hose to the City Water Inlet, pour about 1/2 cup of Clorox down the fill hose, hook it up to my hydrant in the garage, and put about 15-20 gallons of (country well) water in the tank. I'll stop the water and go in the trailer and turn the pump on, and open every faucet until water appears, then I'll turn the pump off and go back to filling the tank or stowing the hose until we get to our destination. I do it to keep my system 'clean' since I'm on untreated water. And we'll bring a case of bottled water for drinking and cooking. Tank water will always taste like tank water. JMO.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I kinda try to clean my fresh tank and all waterlines twice per year but I live in Florida where the mold complains about the mold that is growing on it. I will generally rinse my tank first filling it until the check valve on the top opens and water starts coming out. I will then run the internal sinks and shower for about ten minutes to see that there is no old water in the lines then I will open the low point drains and let the whole thing empty. I have a 3rd 5 gallon bucket I picked up at Lowes for this purpose. (My wife found that she could mix potting soil in the other two.) I will mix the bleach to water and do a country fill. (some campers have it some don't) I will let the bleach solution sit in the tank for 4 hours to see that everything is killed then I run all the lines until it runs out. I hook up the hose to flush the lines then dump and we are happy campers for another 6 months.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #7

In most jurisdictions the Public Health Office will test drinking water for free.

You don't have to tell them the water is from a m/h and not your house tap.

Tags
tank, water