Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank question

My Funmover only has a 17 or 20 gallon fresh water tank located under the forward table bench. Is there a way to mount a bigger tank somewhere to feed this tank? 20 gallons is not going to be big enough for us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Short answer- yes. But this will be a custom installation in one way or perhaps several. OEM tank may be simply rectangular, and you might be able to get a new custom tank made that takes advantage of the space better using offsets and/or bevels for outer surfaces (asssumes you can get to the OEM tank to do the swap). You can also order off the shelf tanks that might increase volume by swapping for OEM.
Then there are variations of tankage elsewhere. Carry a large bottle on the back bumper which you pour-fill into the OEM tank when you have used up enough onboard.

If these variations don't appeal, you might need to consider moving to another rig. One reason some owners chose Alpine coach is the boondock tank storage. There are other brands that have better staying power in the tanks as well.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Step one.. Get a 55 Gallon drum, something that did not contain toxic stuff, clean it well (Steam) and sanatize it,

Step 2: a 12 volt transfer pump (120 volt is ok, in many cases, but it's better if you use a 12 volt pump) with a long hose (long enough)

Mount tank and pump in your towed... Fill drum, Pump into on-board as needed.

NOTE: since you have a smaller on-board you could use a smaller water bottle.

NOTE 2 Camping world sells a couple of bladders that are designed to be roof mounted on many toweds. (not sure how well it would work for me) these are ideal for use as I just described,, In fact I recommend them instead of the drum.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #4

Two issues to think about before increasing your water storage.
1) can your rig handle the extra weight?
2) can your waste tanks handle the extra supply if you are using them?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Step one.. Get a 55 Gallon drum, something that did not contain toxic stuff, clean it well (Steam) and sanatize it,

Step 2: a 12 volt transfer pump (120 volt is ok, in many cases, but it's better if you use a 12 volt pump) with a long hose (long enough)

Mount tank and pump in your towed... Fill drum, Pump into on-board as needed.

NOTE: since you have a smaller on-board you could use a smaller water bottle.

NOTE 2 Camping world sells a couple of bladders that are designed to be roof mounted on many toweds. (not sure how well it would work for me) these are ideal for use as I just described,, In fact I recommend them instead of the drum.
This is my first option. Thinking of doing this for a bit until I figure out something else or to see how the water situation works out.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

Water in a roof tank.

I would think twice or more before I put a water tank on a roof. Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. The weight would bad enough, but think about the tank being half full and shoshing around. Going around a corner with 100 plus pounds on top could be a disaster.?????
Old 02-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember that water weighs 8.33 lb./gallon. make sure you are not overloading the TV axles or the tow vehicel.

Ken
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #8

I bought me a 55 gallon plastic drum with a removeable lid. I also got a submersible pump from Harbor Freight that can pump the water out to the fresh water tank. I haven't tried it yet but it should work out nicely.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Love It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekms377 View Post
I bought me a 55 gallon plastic drum with a removeable lid. I also got a submersible pump from Harbor Freight that can pump the water out to the fresh water tank. I haven't tried it yet but it should work out nicely.
Cool notion, although I have a problem with the other end of the equation.

Say, our neighborhood as aerobic septic systems that spray grey water onto the lawn, are approved by the health department.

Such a thing would be a Godsend, in this community, eg a spray manifold located off in the woods 100 feet from the rig... Has it ever been proposed?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #10

Adding water containers is easy -- finding the space is the tough part - especially in a Class C. No way I could put a 55 gallon drum of water in my rig. You might consider some expandable water containers - they come in a variety of sizes often 2.5- 5 gallon.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg5000 View Post
Adding water containers is easy -- finding the space is the tough part - especially in a Class C. No way I could put a 55 gallon drum of water in my rig. You might consider some expandable water containers - they come in a variety of sizes often 2.5- 5 gallon.
That would be my choice under the circumstances, easy to carry and store.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #12

My Class C is actually a Fun Mover so I keep it in the back corner of the garage. Its really not a big footprint. Total cost so far is about $50.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #13

I have a similar rig as you (2005 four winds fun mover, 28ft). I fought the same problem with my 25gal fresh water. I thought about roof mount a low profile container that would serve the purpose of water storage and outside shower (gravity fed). I never pulled the trigger due to cost, weight, waterproofing etc... I bought two food grade 55gal drums for long dry campings as you did with a water pump. I found that when i store it in the front/side part of the garage, i can just run a hose out the side window and syphon the water to the fill port. Let gravity do the work for you and you dont need to watch it fill or need electricity. Good luck.

I have some other tricks and mods i did with my rig that may help, and would be curious what you do with yours. We should exchange some ideas on another thread with other small fun mover owners. (I tried searching but didnt really find posts with similar vehicles, so now at least i know there are two of us)
Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Cool notion, although I have a problem with the other end of the equation.

Say, our neighborhood as aerobic septic systems that spray grey water onto the lawn, are approved by the health department.

Such a thing would be a Godsend, in this community, eg a spray manifold located off in the woods 100 feet from the rig... Has it ever been proposed?
I park mainly at private homes belonging to friends and family. I have this cap on my sewer discharge.

Amazon.com: Camco 39463 RV Sewer Cap with Hose Connection: Automotive

A 25' garden hose is connected to the cap and I leave the grey water valve open and water a nearby tree. You should see how lovely those trees are now. Of course, I am careful to put only water and biodegradable products down the drains.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water