Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #15

Always on.
JONWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #16

Always on, unless I forget to turn back on after refueling. Then I turn it back on as soon as I stop, assuming no one is in the coach that I can have turn on for me.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Like most others here we always run with the propane frig on.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #18

Do you turns propane off for refueling if the furnace, water heater, etc., are on the opposite side side of the fuel pump?
JONWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #19

I leave the fridge on. It and the heat is on the opposite side and 6 feet foward.

The water heater is next to the gas fill, over the generator. We never travel with it, or the generator on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #20

The reason refrigerators were designed to run on propane is because they dont sell extension chords that reach coast to coast.
Good idea to extinguish all flames while fueling though.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always running. On propane unless I'm running genie for house AC . I shut fridge off when fueling up.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #22

3rd motorhome and gas refrigerator is always on while traveling. On my second motorhome I installed a inverter and ran the frig on that while traveling. My plan is to install one in my new coach this summer.
35QBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #23

Always on, for over 35 years of RV ownership, never had a problem. Some people see an RV fire and automatically assume it was the fridge that started the fire, when it was most likely something totally unrelated that started the fire. Like said you don't buy an RV with all the amenities to carry around ice chests.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #24

For what it's worth, the RV Safety seminar taught by ESCAPES stated that RV frigs are the second cause of RV fires, engine fires are the first. There are a number of long running law suits against Norcold and Dometic for frig caused fires. Obviously its personal decision on the run on propane or not.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #25

Hi
May I ask what size and type inverter did you install. Thanks
Mattie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmeier View Post
For what it's worth, the RV Safety seminar taught by ESCAPES stated that RV frigs are the second cause of RV fires, engine fires are the first. There are a number of long running law suits against Norcold and Dometic for frig caused fires. Obviously its personal decision on the run on propane or not.
My less than one year old Dometic fridge generated a LOT of heat...was happy to be rid of it when we put in the residential fridge (which was also 1/3 the cost of a new Dometic, which I sold to pay for the Whirlpool). The back of the Dometic had many cracks in the tubing...I'm glad I pulled it. RV is actually cooler inside now as well.

The other thing to remember is that that most(all?) 2-way RV fridges (propane or AC) still use heat to work...the heat source is either propane (flame) or electric (heating element). Whether on AC or propane the back of the fridge gets really, really hot (which is the reason for the vent over the fridge on the roof of your RV).

Regardless of the above, when we had a propane fridge I'd keep it on Auto (use AC when available, propane otherwise) all the time...travelling, fueling, storage...never turned it off (we camp at least twice monthly, so we keep stuff in the fridge all the time).
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #27

Any refer fires I have heard about including my own were not a result of propane, but a failure of the refer cooling unit while on electric.

A rupture of the cooling tubing or the heating unit causes the ammonia or what ever is used for the cooling process was flaming out side the heating unit.

I always run with propane on. I'm getting a residential unit installed nexweek.
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #28

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmeier View Post
I also installed an inverter so I can run the frig on 120v while driving. The alternators keeps the batteries charged OK. My 2 cents worth.
I fire off the gennie and inverter, power the fridge on 110vac..
Going to a residential later next week...(Samsung)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, propane