Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

From Trailer to Class C

We have had travel trailers for almost 40 years and are now going to buy a Class C. We have narrowed it down to a Lazy Daze and ill probably go with a 26.5 but not sure which layout yet. Biggest question is the choice of engines. I know the early ones will have a 460, followed by the V10's early and later (2004) with more power. Obviously newer is usually better, but newer costs more so what are the trade offs buying an early (say 1991) vs a 2000-2004? My main concerns have more to do with drivetrains, brakes, electric and water systems. I really don't care or want things like TV, etc. because in a digital age those things are obsolete for the most part.

All words of Wisdom are welcomed since this will be our first MH after 5 different travel trailers.
LakeTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
All of the engines will get you where you are going. They have been pulling hills and flats successfully for years. It is a matter of patience.

It also may depend upon how much you plan to travel. I have found that I generally travel about the same speed and same distance no matter what I am driving.

As you have probably found the most important thing is the floor plan. How comfortable will you be while you are traveling and while you are parked are more important than the size of the engine.

More important as well are maintenance records and any recalls on the engine and drive train.

Good luck with your decision. All will work for you.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Check the carrying capacity of the unit, and truly understand what the sticker is telling you.

No matter what the layout is, what the mileage is, or what the dollars are, if it can't carry squat it may not be worth it to you.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Coming from small trailers we are used to traveling light, and it only being 2 of us plus a dog we don't need much storage, so we really aren't concerned with carrying capacity, but will tow once in a while. I know most will tow up to 5000 lbs without issue, and we will occasionally be towing a very light (1500 lb) sports car on a light trailer so I would never expect to tow more than 2500 lbs. That being said that's why we like the LD because it has plenty of storage for us, and can tow 5000 lbs. If we can afford a V10 era LD I'd prefer it, but if not then the earlier 460 will do. I just don't enough about RV's to know what problems certain years might have.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Check the carrying capacity of the unit, and truly understand what the sticker is telling you.

No matter what the layout is, what the mileage is, or what the dollars are, if it can't carry squat it may not be worth it to you.
Cargo carry capacity (CCC) is the main reason we went with a class A instead of a class C. That 1 ton or 1.5 ton vehicle is already loaded to capacity, and by the time you fill the propane tank, fuel tank, and water tank, you will have very little CCC left to put in dishes, a jack, clothes, etc. You will be running over the max GVWR very quickly. Seriously think about what you need to have with you and I think you will find that a class C is too limiting for anything other than weekend or 2 week trips. I know others will pipe in and tell me I am wrong and that they full time in a class C, but for us it didn't work out on paper.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #6

That's not necessarily true though it is often the case. Class C's with 'decent' OCCC can be found, but you have to give up on a lot of the luxury items (Corian/Granite, cabinet quality, etc.). Our Winnie has 2900+ pounds of OCCC on it. Granted we wouldn't want to live in it full time given the luxury items we gave up to get that capacity, but for 5-6 trips that last about 5 days each, its good enough. At least for us. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

So it appears that the OCCC for the models we will choose from range from 2836 to 2943. That is more than enough knowing how we typically travel. Even with a tongue weight of 250 lbs, our weights, plus the dog's weight, and all our stuff and food, we will still be considerably under that limit. So I feel comfortable in our choice right now, and think it would be wiser to spend a little more money on a newer model and go for the V10. Just need to figure out which layout is best for us and I think we're leaning toward a mid bath model.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

My 24' class C had (recently sold) the V10 450 chassis. It was smooth and got about 11-12 mpg and went to about 9 when towing. I towed a 5000# boat most of the time, or a trailer full of dirt bikes. I even towed my new 7000# boat with it without a glitch. Maintaining 55-60 mph, it towed beautifully. I always heard the chevy was a stronger motor however they had stopped making the MH chassis by the time I bought mine.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
From Trailer to Class C

I have owned both a rig with the V10 (current rig) and the Chevy Vortec engine in a 2001. Both have been good with plenty of power but I've also kept under 26 feet total length. The Chevy got about 1 MPG better. Kudos to them for that. I was less impressed with the Chevy transmission - a bigger gap in gearing as it would be more of a screamer in downshifting on a hill - always wanted a gear in between. Yet it still kept up with climbing.

As for ride, in my experience the Chevy had less sway even in the stock configuration but the ride was harsher than our current Ford. I installed a rear sway bar on the Ford (Hellwig) and it has made a tremendous difference. Inexpensive and worth every penny.

Later model V10s have more horsepower than the earlier ones if that is important to you. 2005+ included a tranny that has an extra gear.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #10

I can't offer advice about the engines as my Lazy Daze is a Chevrolet.

But I can say first you want to get a 1991 or newer to get the fiberglass nose cap without front window. Also they have the one piece roof instead of the earlier sectioned version.

Also the newer Ford chassis (1992?) is supposed to ride better and has more driver legroom.

The 26.5/27 foot Lazy Daze is most popular in the mid-bath version so those have the higher prices. Personally I like the rear kitchen but they are rare.

Our 22ft Twin King has the rear lounge like the mid-bath and those huge view windows are great.

Lazy Daze are made really well and even our 1991 has perfectly operating electrical and plumbing systems. All is original except the Dometic refrigerator was replaced a few years before we bought her.

We do have solar roof charging plus the Onan generator so never concerned with hook-up sites.

Good luck and welcome to the Lazy Daze family.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #11

Where do you folks get these Lazy Daze units serviced? I'm assuming if you're not local to where they sell them your in for rough sledding?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #12

Chassis is serviced by the manufacturer as in Ford or Chevy. House can be serviced by anybody that does RV's. Repairs on an older unit will take deep pockets or DIY. Houses often age out before the chassis milage gets siginificant.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #13

Lazy Daze age much more slowly than average RVs.

Go out and look at some twenty year old ones to see how well they hold up.

People do take their LDs back to the 'mothership' in Montclair, Calif. for major modifications or collision damage but everything on there is serviceable by local or regional places.

The only thing that requires special attention is if you break one of the windows as they are made by only one company. But they can be shipped. I live near enough that I would go to the factory for that.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #14

I figured the chassis would be a Ford or Chevy deal, just wasn't sure w/ the house. I ask b/c my local Jayco dealer or Itasca dealer will only service what they sell. That leaves Camping World (which I bought my Winnie from). I wouldn't exactly be jumping up and down to be serviced there.

Tags
class c