Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
What year and model is this? And what motor? Our F53 Ford is built on F550 Ford chassis with the Ford V10 gas engine. Didn't know they are doing one in deisel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiedler View Post
Went and looked at the FOUR Winds 35SK Super C on the Ford F550 Chassis. It is a truck chassis, not a van chassis. Nice looking rig. With the diesel option. Our rig is a class A built on the F550 F53 chassis. Ford doesn't seem to offer the power stroke diesel in the class A versions of the F550, wish they did. It would be far superior to the V10 gas that comes in the class A rigs.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #17

Our Super C (front engine) has been great for the 8 years we have owned it. Ease if maintenance is one of its best features. The added protection of the front chassis if involved in a front end accident. Nosie is not bad. Quieter than a front engine class A. Fuel usage is OK. About 10 mpg overall after 70k miles.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #18

My MH is a Ford V-10 gasser, but I have had a few years driving transit where we had small coaches built on cutaway van chassis. The Ford Powerstroke/E450s we had were incredibly noisy, both inside and outside - enough for me to wear a noise-cancelling audio headset for communication radio use. I think they were 2005 model year, The agency recently replaced the Fords with 2012/3 Chevy-based cutaways. The noise level is so much less.

I'm not driving transit any longer but ride fairly often. Our route is served by the cutaways and it's easy to talk to people while being driven along. That would've been difficult on the Fords.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
What year and model is this? And what motor? Our F53 Ford is built on F550 Ford chassis with the Ford V10 gas engine. Didn't know they are doing one in deisel.
Don,

Your post confused me...I think the F53 is a totally different Ford Product vs. the F-550.

See: 2014 Ford Stripped Chassis F-53 Class A Motorhome | See All The Stripped Chassis F-53 Class A Motorhome Highlights | Ford.com
and
See: 2014 Ford Chassis Cab F-550 XL | See All The Chassis Cab F-550 XL Highlights | Ford.com

Ford has put MUCH more good stuff into the F-550 (Diesel, 6 Speed Transmission, PTO, etc.)
But the F53 has the wide front axle and longer wheelbases (up to 252") for RV's.
And, both offer the Triton V10 for the gas engine offering - not available in the F-450 and smaller trucks.

But the REAL difference is the weight capacities - the F-550 has a max 19,200lb GVWR but the F53 can be ordered with up to 26,000lb GVWR.

Now - just for discussion...why wouldn't Ford put the Diesel engine in the F53 RV chassis? That one has made me wonder for a while(?)

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #20

Front or rear engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
A friend has a front Cummins unit and he loves it. Price much more affordable.
One big advantage is that the rear end has truck model bottom pinion. Compared to upside down bus model of diesel pushers that leave the pinion dry when parked. It's ok for buses that are on the road all the time.
So for me the front engine models are much better design.
In the industry we completely refused to use over hung reduction unit due to drying of the high speed bearings when idle.
I don't want to come across as the 'know it all guy' but it boils my blood when I see statements like this, and
being in the automotive/truck/bus buisness for over 41 years I have never heard of such nonsense.
I still work as a professional mechanic and this is the first time I came across a statement like this.
"In the industry we completely refused" - Which "industry" and who is "we"?
What BS!!!

Modern diesel engines are no longer noisy, clunky, smoky POS that they used to be...
They are quiet, fuel efficient, precise machines. The only problem is that they are very costly to operate.
If you have any doubts then go to your friendly Cummins, Caterpillar, or Mercedes dealer and ask for the price to replace DPF or even a simple tune up or oil change. I can guarantee you it would be a huge shock.

Perhaps for some of us price of maintenance is not important, but for me it's a deciding factor. And I don't care if it's diesel, gas front, or rear mounted engine.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #21

We have a Nexus super-c 36 foot with an International Terrastar/diesel in the front. This rv is much quieter than our last rv which was a c-class Jayco Greyhawk 32 foot with a gas engine. I also want to tell you that the cab is not hot compared to the Greyhawk. The ride is more comfortable as well.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine23 View Post
We have a Nexus super-c 36 foot with an International Terrastar/diesel in the front. This rv is much quieter than our last rv which was a c-class Jayco Greyhawk 32 foot with a gas engine. I also want to tell you that the cab is not hot compared to the Greyhawk. The ride is more comfortable as well.
Our situation is similar - moved from a 2006 Four Winds Chateau on an E-450 chassis (V10 gasser) to a Jayco Seneca Super C on a Freightliner M2 chassis. It is much quieter, no issues with heat from the engine, and is much more comfortable to drive. The Cummins has a 15k/12 month maintenance interval and oil changes aren't that bad.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #23

I have a front engine '14 F550 Chassis & Cab MH by Born Free. Very quiet and the engine is only heard pulling away.

Ideal if you want the sort of MH that you can park in your drive, go to restaurants or shopping. Once your need is over 30 feet the advantage passes to pushers because of the drive train.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #24

Pretty happy with our front engine diesel Seneca. Noise isn't as bad as I expected (though we did benefit from some noise dampening work the previous owners did). Maintenance and repair is easier (at least I perceive it to be) since anybody that works on Chevy commercial trucks can easily work on mine.

We shopped class As (all gas), gas Cs and diesel Cs and the decision was easy for us. Been very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
diesel