Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try your best to avoid an RV with windows or to many seams in the cab over area as they are a constant source of potential water intrusion. It is usually not "if" it will leak but "when" it will leak. Do a search on the various RV related forums for cab over leak, water leak, window leak, or anything with water or leak in it and you will find plenty of people who have gone thru (and are currently going thru) hell dealing with water related damage. Water and fire are the worst enemies for RV's. I find water to be the worst as it is a long expensive and frustrating process to deal with. These windowed cab over RV's may be cheaper to buy but they can end up costing a lot more in the end.
Good luck in you search,
Todd

Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #16

Our class C upper cab window has a crack in it from where the PO over tightened a screw. I rebuilt the bunk up there recently and oddly, there was pretty minute water damage and no mold at all. We are planning on getting the window replaced. Is it possible to just have it removed and capped instead with a one piece?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzohimsky View Post
You can still get leakage in the cabover, window or no window, if the water is migrating down from a higher point of entry (clearance lights, vents, seams, etc.) I have seen water damage in high end class c's with an entertainment center vs bed. Yes, certainly a window will be the obvious and usual culprit, but I have seen windows appear to be leaking, when in fact they were just a channel for the water to migrate into the bed area, from a leak on the roof. Water can travel inside the roof and sides and find a way into the camper.
X2 on this. Most manufacturers state in the owners manual that you should do (or have done) regular inspections of you RV roof including the cab-over area. You need to check and repair if needed all seams and penetrations. This would include any vents, ac units, satellite, antenna, clearance or marker lights, or any other thing that would penetrate the roof surface. I do mine every 3 or 4 months.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowspecv View Post
Our class C upper cab window has a crack in it from where the PO over tightened a screw. I rebuilt the bunk up there recently and oddly, there was pretty minute water damage and no mold at all. We are planning on getting the window replaced. Is it possible to just have it removed and capped instead with a one piece?
Not sure if cap replacement could be done but I think a good body shop should be able to remove the window and put in a to fill the space, then finish it out so it looks like there never was a window.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #19

Does your camper have an aluminum or laminated skin, can you determine if the window frame itself provides structural support to the side wall, this can be a labor intensive operation and will be expensive if you have to pay a service technician. In addition to the wisely suggested body shop, I would suggest boat repair, fiberglass repair or similar type shops; certainly depends on what is available in your area...maybe even a carpenter. I have never installed a "cap" because unless the camper was new, I would have to contend with uneven surfaces that would be more challenging to seal (and keep sealed)than a window, the cost would be ridiculous, and would knew I would kill myself trying to do it. I would not try to reinvent the wheel here, but would instead try to repair it back to original condition, especially is resale is a concern.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #20

Do birds often go through the windows? Or is this a rare occurrence? We have just purchased a used class C, and would be glad to take precautions to avoid common problems.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be sure and avoid any rig with a front window, you know, like a windshield!

If properly taken care of and maintained there shouldn't be major damage as the leaks should be caught early. It's lack of maintainence over long periods that causes the problems.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRig View Post
Do birds often go through the windows? Or is this a rare occurrence? We have just purchased a used class C, and would be glad to take precautions to avoid common problems.
Interesting question. I had one get stuck in the grill of my car so I guess it is possible.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Be sure and avoid any rig with a front window, you know, like a windshield!...
In all the class C's I looked at, the cab over windows were mounted different than the modern windshield. Although you make a point -- windshields can leak too. But then again, windshields are something of a "must have."

Tags
cab over window, class c, leak, water damage, window