Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #1

Front wobble on passengers side

WE PURCHASED A 2003 24 FT DUTCHMEN EXPRESS IN APRIL OF 2010,TRAVELLED FROM NOVA SCOTIA CANADA TO PRINCE RUPERT BRITISH COLUMBIA EVERY THING WORKED FINE UNTIL WE WERE ON OUR WAY HOME AND AS WE WERE TRAVELLING DOWN A STEEP GRADE I TOUCHED THE BRAKE THE FRONT SIDE OF THE MOTORHOME STARTED A BAD WOBBLE LIKE THE FRONT WHEEL WAS GOING TO FALL OFF,I TOUCHED THE BRAKE A FEW MORE TIMES AND IT SLOWLY WENT AWAY
AND DID NOT HAPPEN AGAIN UNTIL WE WERE BACK IN NOVA SCOTIA I STOPPED AND GOT OUT AND FELT THE WHEEL AND IT WAS HOT SO I CONTINUED ON AND IT WENT AWAY AS FAST AS IT HAPPENED AND UP TO THE TIME I STORED IT IT DID NOT HAPPEN AGAIN WONDERING IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN OR IF SOME ONE HAS SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT IT COULD BE. THANKS ART

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like you need to replace the idler bar or at the lest have it serviced. It's not a big issue but could become one.

Good luck.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Go to a Ford dealer and have them check your VIN number for a TSB (Tech. Service Bulletin) Front End Oscillation IIRC. This is a known problem on some Ford trucks.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to consider having the front wheel bearings on that side checked out.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #5

brake rotor ?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The simplest and cheapest thing to replace is the flexible brake hose to the caliper. As they age they start breaking down inside and act like there is a check valve inside. Applying the brake allows pressure to the caliper but it prevents the brake pressure from coming totally off. This causes the heat to expand the metal assembly and gives a dangerous wobble.
Spent a fortune on a Buick before I found that one out. I had both hoses replaced on our RV last summer before our trip to Banff AB. Reason same symptoms, left side caliper would not fully release. Change hose problem cured.
That might not be your problem, but if you take it in for repair they'll change the hoses anyway. If the brake fluid has been in for a long time it should be changed also especially for that wheel that was locking up.
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #7

Have seen tires where the bands separate and do that, but a lot more often. After going so far and not have it hapen puzzles me
Fletch
Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A number of things, worn suspension parts, loose wheel bearings, brake rotors....You need to get the suspension and brakes checked by a mechanic.

Also, please do not use ALL CAPS when typing. In the net forums, it is considered rude and equates to shouting. You can use the CAPS to make a point, but not the whole post.

Ken
Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Have seen tires where the bands separate and do that, but a lot more often. After going so far and not have it hapen puzzles me
Fletch
A bad brake hose will do that, at least it did on my old Buick. On that one I changed the rotor the caliper the pads bearings inner and outer and the only thing left to change was the darn brake hose which I hadn't considered because it looked good, it was the cheapest and last part I bought.
As far as changing the rotor on his rig, well one look at the size will be enough to see it isn't DIY job unless you have something to hold it as the whole hub, extension and rotor is one piece. Don't think I'd try it without a hydraulic lift to take the weight.

Cheers
Willey
Old 01-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #10

thank you for your response on the front wobble on the left side of the motorhome,i will have the hoses checked out also the calibers,some guys i talk to are saying it might be a sticky caliber,the motor home we have is a GMC with a 6 litre engine,lots of power,and great to drive and great on gas,we average 13 miles per gallon, sorry about the caps as i am new to the computer and did not know anything about screeming will not happen again
Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #11

Arthur, you were smart in buying used, the problem you have will be able to be fixed for realtively short dollars-even if it is the rotor/hub, in fact I wouldn'd be surprised if the oem disc could be machined, good luck.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTur View Post
~~~ Snip ~~~~the motor home we have is a GMC with a 6 litre engine,lots of power,~~~~Snip~~~~
Ah! A GMC, the rotor may not be part of a massive steel hub like on the Ford Super Dutys.

Cheers
Willey