Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
Woody - would prefer not to have to fly clear across the country to buy a motorhome. Also, we have learned that some motorhomes that are said to be 30', when actually measured bumper to bumper are quite bit longer. We live on an Island, and the guys who determine how long you are for purposes of ferry fares, measure bumper to bumper and if you are as much as one inch over 30' the ferry fare doubles. Indeed, we were advised by a ferryman to remove the tow bar from any RV we purchase before approaching the toll booth and putting it back on on the other side.

We are also using the JD gallant review book and not sure what his ratings of Four Wind rigs are. If that rig were for sale in the Pacific NW, if the Gallant rating was at least 3 star and 4 star for safety, and if it was truly 30 foot or less, then we would not consider the price unreasonable.

begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
Lucky you to be living on an island. Were you going to commute with this MH? A doubled fare a few times a year seems like not too big a concern. I thought it was the CC&R you mentioned which determined your ultimate length.

There was a new class C with a slide, diesel powered in the 50's. Is that too much?

I'll look up the MH link for you.

I thought this was a good layout for a class c.

Here's another. Looks good to me too.

Are you allowed to have a short class A?

WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Hi again, Woody.

$50,000 is more than we want to spend. Yes, our CC&Rs are the other factor (but I had already mentioned that) and one neighbor just had to rent a storage facility because his was slightly over the 30' limit. We want to go from the Pacific NW to Southern California where our son lives for 6 to 8 weeks in January and February when it is very dreary here. We also cannot buy anything newer than 2008 and a 2008 ONLY if it has been used a lot and completely offgassed as I am allergic to the preservatives in construction materials.

We had a short Class A (26') and do not want a Class A of any size.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
Workhorse Chassis Owner
pplmotorhomes.com is not only an RV Parts store, but they do sales of used RV's as well, and not to bad of a price

here is the direct link to Class C sorted by size

Class C & Class B Motorhomes for Sale at PPL
"Now why would you want to do something like that?" - My Dad
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

1999 Minnie Winnie 29' - Super Clean! - Hand Controls - Low Miles

2000 Ford RV Cauchmen Catalina Sport>>

92 Four Winds 30ft Class C - Sleeps 8 - Great Condition *
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Don't get frustrated, it took me almost a year to find a unit I wanted for the price I wanted to pay.
The wait was well worth it, and fate brought me to the deal.
I will echo this. We were looking for something under 24 feet so that we didn't have to tow a car. It took us about a year, too. We were mostly looking at used units figuring that was what we could afford, but we found that 1) most people selling them were upside down on their loans and wanted more than the value of the unit so they could pay off their notes and 2) dealers who jacked up the price to cover the "discounted" price of new units when they took the used one as a trade in.

We finally wound up buying a 2011 Coachman Freelander 21QB. We got a better deal on a brand new one than we were seeing on used models. The quality is much better than we had expected and there is a factory warranty.

Looking for a new unit hadn't even crossed our minds and I just happened to stumble on the ad for one on the Internet and got interested.
Way-the-heck-south Texas
2011 Coachman Freelander 21QB
kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As posted above, keep looking, there are deals out there. We found ours on Craigslist, and got if for a reaaaaaally good price. The owner had already bought a new truck and 5er, and was in a bind, and had to unload it. Good luck on the hunt.
2003 Gulf Stream Cavalier, 29.5' V-10, most bells and whistles. Banks Power Pac System, Auto Mind, Tans Command.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #22
Hi everyone -

We just got back from our first trip in our 2003 27 foot Bigfoot. Purchased and had towing equipment installed last Thursday and left for the trip Saturday morning.

Probably paid a bit too much for it, but it was the first rig we saw that met 85% of our criteria.

Thanx for all the suggestions and advice.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #23
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Purplefans & Harvey View Post
I think that what the dealers said is true.

We purchased "Harvey", a 5 year old class C from the side of the road, in November 2005!

When we went to trade it in, 4 years later, the dealership told me they were in demand because of the snowbirds wanting to go down south. So the fall was a great time to trade it in.

Eventually we did trade it in, as 10 year old, May 2010, and the well-used but also cared for RV was sold by the dealership within a VERY short time. And when I say well-used, we had it for 5 years, with 2 kids and 2 dogs. Mechanically good, cosmetically, used!

By the way, if anybody out there has "Harvey", please let us know! And good luck with your quest! I'm sure it will all work out in the end!
Yes, I have a 2000 Safari Class C which was made by Harney. It's still going right along. I have looked for a newer motorhome, but cannot find anything of the same quality.
longtom1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #24
Originally Posted by begete View Post
We have been trying to find a used Class C for about a month now with no luck. Either they are too big (our CC&R's prohibit parking anything at home longer than 30'), in bad condition/too old, or people/dealers want too much $$$ for them.

One dealer told us that used Class C's were in such demand that they flew off the lot.

Since we do not "need" a motorhome til February, we assumed that the further away we got from the summer months, the better deals would be available. One dealers laughed and said, by winter there would be none available.

The newspapers have yet to produce a single ad. Looked everywhere online.

Is what we are being told true? Are used Class C's a rare commodity?
I watched e-bay for a year before I retired. Saw a 07 class C w/50K miles for $27K at camping world Las vegas. My local CW guy said he thought it was a great price. Then I found a 03 w/14k miles close to home on Craig's list for $27k and bought that. It might be a little high but it was very clean, hardly used.

Jim and Linda Jackson
Coachman Freedom
Jim Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote