Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

We have been trying to find a used Class C for about a month now with no luck. Either they are too big (our CC&R's prohibit parking anything at home longer than 30'), in bad condition/too old, or people/dealers want too much $$$ for them.

One dealer told us that used Class C's were in such demand that they flew off the lot.

Since we do not "need" a motorhome til February, we assumed that the further away we got from the summer months, the better deals would be available. One dealers laughed and said, by winter there would be none available.

The newspapers have yet to produce a single ad. Looked everywhere online.

Is what we are being told true? Are used Class C's a rare commodity?

begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

We were looking for a newer Class A in June. Checked the used lots and found the prices for 10 to 15 year old coaches were very high. We thought with the economy down and people out of work we could get a good deal.

We ended up with a 2008 for about 20% over the older units. I think we lucked out, the owner worked for a bank and bought at short sale used it for a year and sold for what he paid. Keep looking, there are deals out there.

mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try an RV classified ad site such as rvt.com or rvclassified.com. Plenty listed there. Keep an eye on our own iRV2 Classifieds too. There are five C's listed there right now.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
RVTrader currently has over 3900 new and used class C s across the USA.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by begete View Post
One dealer told us that used Class C's were in such demand that they flew off the lot.

Is what we are being told true? Are used Class C's a rare commodity?
"Flew off the lot??" - this dealer must be hallucinating. Either that, or the world economy has been recovering something remarkably while I was taking a ˝ hour nab on the couch this afternoon.

I far as I am concerned it is still very much "buyers marked.

Have a look at rv-online. There are still many to chose from.
The Great Dane
2007 Monaco Diplomat PAQ - 2007 Saturn Vue Honorary Texas Boomer
Living in Denmark - visiting the US whenever possible. www.winnebago.dk www.blog.retired.dk

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class C

I think that what the dealers said is true.

We purchased "Harvey", a 5 year old class C from the side of the road, in November 2005!

When we went to trade it in, 4 years later, the dealership told me they were in demand because of the snowbirds wanting to go down south. So the fall was a great time to trade it in.

Eventually we did trade it in, as 10 year old, May 2010, and the well-used but also cared for RV was sold by the dealership within a VERY short time. And when I say well-used, we had it for 5 years, with 2 kids and 2 dogs. Mechanically good, cosmetically, used!

By the way, if anybody out there has "Harvey", please let us know! And good luck with your quest! I'm sure it will all work out in the end!
Landcruisers for life
2 adults, 2 kids (tweens) and 2 dogs
2004 Fltwd Southwind 32V from 2000 Tioga 26F
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Try Craig's list

Try Craig's list for your area.

seattle-tacoma recreational vehicles classifieds - craigslist

It is a very popular way to sell and buy things. Pretty much taken the place of newspapers.

Proud owner of 1994 Winnebago Brave 29RQ.
Chevy 454 on a P30 chassis.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Goodness! I had to verify the date stamp on your post! Another poster has advised Craigslist...in my area and surrounding states there are many MH and tons of Class C's For Sale.
It is indeed a buyers market, no matter how particular you are on condition/pricing I would be confident one can find "the" RV with persistence and patience. My two cents on your efforts of a month...good start..keep at it and have fun with the process between now and February.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
I sold my Adventurer this spring. I wasn't going to buy anything until next spring. I too was looking for a shorter Class C but on a E450 Ford chassis made after 2002. I needed a 5000 pound towing capacity. I didn't want a cab over bunk or a 32 footer. There were a lot of junk for sale. I checked dealers & craigslist from a 4 state area. I looked for over 3 months. Any found were not a buy! High book!! I don't feel it was a buyers market period! I did find & buy a new 2009 Forest River Lexington 295 GT at below average used price. After my 38 foot class A, it's going too be tight in there.
I know what you are saying. If you're looking for just the right rig, it is hard! If you are going to get a 32 foot class C, a person just as well go with a class A. That would put me right back where I started 8 years ago!
2009 Forest River Lexington 295GTS
Dave from MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
I bought mine on Ebay. It was in Texas. I flew there with my wife knowing if it was cr** we would just go home. It was exactly as described by the dealer.They picked us up at the airport. I drove it the 2500 miles home after buying necessities at the local Walmart. We saved ten's of thousand of dollars. It was scary to do over the internet. I was going to pay a few hundred for an RV inspector to look her over. After talking over the phone with the dealer and having ALL of my questions answered I even cancelled the inspection. That too some guts. We are glad we did it.

Suggestion: Look for one where you can make an offer. Sometimes you catch them when they need the money.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
begete, This is a test. Is it not nice, too much money or is this something worth looking at?

2006 30FT CLASS C MOTORHOME FOUR WINDS 5000: eBay Motors (item 270636773545 end time Sep-20-10 19:45:59 PDT)
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First off, do not believe a dealer. For real world cost, check NADA Guides. The RVs are typically going for low retail, no options added on.

Lot of folks out there are living a dream, hoping they can get high retail plus for any extras they feel they have added so that they can cover what they owe on the RV.

Just keep shopping, you will find the right one at a realistic price.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Mid Atlantic Campers
Don't get frustrated, it took me almost a year to find a unit I wanted for the price I wanted to pay.
The wait was well worth it, and fate brought me to the deal.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Went to the rv show at the Indiana state fairgrounds,and 90% of the class c's were sold,and 60% of the class a's had sold signs on them.I went over 70 miles from home to find mine.Most of the dealers here including Camping World don't have much inventory,most are asking to buy yours

ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote