Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
Fuel mileage Class A vs Class C

I am actively looking for a used RV, I have done some research and driven some of both A and C. There certainly are pluses and minuses on both but what is the real mileage difference? I see some larger Class A homes have almost the same fuel economy as some Class C rigs, what is the true story? Thanks in advance for your input.

shohone4819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
My 24' class C got about 10 mpg. My 30' class A does around 7. It's mostly about size/weight. I wouldn't (and didn't) consider "mileage" when I was shopping for the class A. If you figure it out, it comes to just a few bucks a year in extra fuel.. as apposed to an expensive rig you'll be buying twice.

2013 Itasca Sunova 30A
2006 Crownline 250cr
2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Class "C" with a V10 6 to 7 miles per gallon towing. My class "A" small ISB Diesel towing my Mini 8.9 to 9.5 miles per gallon. Difference is cost up front. DP is 3 or more times more expensive then a class "C" (usually). Other RVer's may disagree. Sanford
Sanford, Linda & R cats: Molly, Levi, Cody
2011 Monaco by Navistar RV
Good Sam Life Member Good Sam Hams Chapter
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
I believe it is mostly due to weight and length, physics says more weight takes more energy. Approximately the same cross section of air being pushed for class C vs class A, a class A may be a bit more aerodynamic if one with the more rounded front vs squared off class C. However, it is still wide and tall section of air that must be pushed aside and through no matter what. A diesel engine will be a bit better for mpg, all else being equal.

As many have said, you don't buy an RV for gas mileage. Buy what you like and works for you, then just accept the fuel cost as being part of the overall costs.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
It depends what engine is in your class c. I have a 25' MB based MH and get 16 mpg. I have never owned a Class A so I can't speak on those. I will say the Ford V10 is a strong engine that will give you years of good service. A friend of mine has a 27' Coachmen Conchord with the V10 and has seen 11 mpg by keeping his speed at about 52 mph.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I went from a gas powered 2008 Itasca Cambria 29H Class C to a gas powered 2015 Winnebago View 27N Class A, both with Ford V10 engines and Ford 5 speed transmissions. Ford re-worked the engine for the Class A to have 20% more max horsepower somehow, don't know if this reduced the cruising speed fuel economy somehow.

Both are about the same length. The View is about 2,500 pounds heavier. This is about as close to Apples to Apples as you can get comparing a Class C to a Class A.

My MPG on the Class A is about 20% less than the Class C was. But the improvement in storage space and comfort was well worth it for me.
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
Our 2011 Winnebago View 24K (Mercedes Sprinter 3500 HD chassis with 5-speed automatic transmission) gets 15 mpg keeping the speed between 60 and 65 mph. Any faster and MOG falls since it has so much frontal area & drag. When we tow our 5,000 lb modified 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon we get 13 mpg at 55 to 60 mph. The 3.0 liter Mercedes Bluetec turbodiesel is AMAZING with lots of torque to easily go up steep hills at full speed except when towing... Then does well but definitely goes slower.
BrokerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
My 1983 Rockwood Gets about 8 mpg. keeping up with traffic.
It has a ford 460 in it.

paulespo is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, class c, fuel