RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

Fuel Problem - 87 E-350 Carb'd

I have an 87 Fleetwood Tioga on an 87 Ford E-350 Chassis with a 460 carb'd engine. When I put a test light on the power connection to the in-tank fuel pump, the test light blinks. Should it blink or should there be constant power.
Currently, the in-tank fuel pump has been replaced with an external pump and pressure regulator mounted on the frame rail, but there are fuel pressure issues. I am considering going back to original. Stupid ??

BobRobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

I can't speak to your test light question, but I would hesitate to go back to the in-tank pump, just for the problem of having to drop the tank whenever there's a problem.

Some basic points which you probably already know:

Where is your external pump mounted? Best is to mount it very close to the tank. A long suction line will drop output pressure.

There are "push" pumps and "pull" pumps. Electric fuel pumps tend to be "push" pumps, which mean they need to be mounted low - they don't excel at pulling fuel up from a tank below them.

If you're running a soft line from the tank to the external pump, replace it with hard line so the pump suction doesn't squeeze it shut.

Is the external pump plumbed through the original in-tank filter? That'll kill pressure, too, especially if it's partially blocked.

Finally, when the external replaced the internal, did they choose the right PSI output pump?

Sorry if this is all more basic than what you need.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

I don't believe you have a carbureted engine. My father owned a 1987 E150 van with the 4.9L-L6 engine which had throttle-body fuel injection. Another indicator that you have fuel injection is that your original fuel pump was electric (not mechanical) and located in the fuel tank.

So with that set aside, I wish you explained your original problem, why you feel the fuel pump is not pumping to high enough pressure.

I believe somewhere on the engine is a fuel pressure regulator. If the pressure to your single injector is inadequate, the regulator might be faulty.

Your single fuel injector might also be faulty.

As far as tank-pump versus in-line-pump, staying OEM style is always a safer bet. If you did not remove the original fuel pump from the tank when adding the in-line pump, there may be a blocked inlet causing a problem.

I am tossing out ideas here, hoping one might steer you in the right direction for troubleshooting your problem.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I don't believe you have a carbureted engine. My father owned a 1987 E150 van with the 4.9L-L6 engine which had throttle-body fuel injection. Another indicator that you have fuel injection is that your original fuel pump was electric (not mechanical) and located in the fuel tank.

So with that set aside, I wish you explained your original problem, why you feel the fuel pump is not pumping to high enough pressure.

I believe somewhere on the engine is a fuel pressure regulator. If the pressure to your single injector is inadequate, the regulator might be faulty.

Your single fuel injector might also be faulty.

As far as tank-pump versus in-line-pump, staying OEM style is always a safer bet. If you did not remove the original fuel pump from the tank when adding the in-line pump, there may be a blocked inlet causing a problem.

I am tossing out ideas here, hoping one might steer you in the right direction for troubleshooting your problem.
I believe the 460 was still a holdout to carbs in that year.

I bought a 86 Bronco and my brother bought a 86 F250. I had a fuel injected 302 and he had a carburated 460.

He very well could have a carburator
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I believe the 460 was still a holdout to carbs in that year.

I bought a 86 Bronco and my brother bought a 86 F250. I had a fuel injected 302 and he had a carburated 460.

He very well could have a carburator
If it has a carb, it probably does NOT have an in tank electric pump.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #6

There is a lift pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the driver side frame rail. I think your pressure problem is the frame rail pump. Maybe the wrong one. I did a quick Google search.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #7

Thank you for the responses!
The vehicle is new to me. I did not do the Fuel Pump replacement.
My research indicates that a carb and a single in-tank fuel pump is original.
It is definitely carbureted (Holly 4 BBL). I dropped the tank and found no filter and no fuel pump. The fuel line from the tank to the external pump is hard.
I don't yet know the output of the external fuel pump or the Holly bypass pressure regulator, but I will test as soon as New England weather clears up.
Original Problem: Idles fine. Feels like it is running out of gas (dies) every 1/4 to 1/2 mile @ 30 mph. Again, thank you!
Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

The blinking light is the fuel tank sending unit.
StevefromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #9

Interesting! If the blinking light is for the sending unit, then I have no power for the fuel pump. Something to check for if I go back to the in-tank pump. Thank You!
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #10

Since its Regestered as an 87, chances are the chassis is actually an 85 or 86. Those are the specifications you should go by. They get the chassis and by the time they use them, it could be a year or longer. My 12 is on an 11 chassis.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you checked your fuel filters? My old Dodge Class C had two, one on the frame and one at the carb. The one on the frame got clogged and gave me the exact symptoms that you mentioned.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #12

Not only clogged fuel filters, check/replace any rubber fuel line with new fuel injection rubber hose. The old stuff does not like the new fuels and disintegration takes place from the inside the hose and can clog the filter.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRobi View Post
Interesting! If the blinking light is for the sending unit, then I have no power for the fuel pump. Something to check for if I go back to the in-tank pump. Thank You!
I still say you don't have an electric fuel pump !

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefromPA
The blinking light is the fuel tank sending unit.
Correct ! (IIRC) Older Ford vehicles uses an "instrument panel voltage regulator" for all IP gauges. It work by pulsing 12VDC through the gauges (water, oil pressure and fuel level) then to each "sender"/sensor.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #14

The chassis VIN number indicates it is an 87. The coach may be an 88?
I have three wires running to the fuel tank (tank mounted behind the rear axle) and no evidence of a mechanical fuel pump bolted to the engine in the vicinity of the crank shaft.

Tags
fuel, problem