Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Question Fulltiming in a View vs Aerbus vs Class B+

We have a 2006 Winnebago View (diesel) that we love but we want to go full timing. We recently purchased a 94 Rexhall Aerbus (32ft gas) with that intention and had planned to sell the View. However, the difference in driving the two is remarkable (in favor of the View) and I'm much more comfortable with the View, (23.5 ft) plus the extra gas mileage we get (18mpg vs 8 mpg in Aerbus). I'm conflicted! It all seems to be such a trade off. I want it all! I love the extra space in the Class A plus the extra water storage capacity, but we love the gas mileage, the upgrades (such as having a slide) and the ease of driving the View. We do have plans to do some BLM camping and State Parks as well. We want to boondock. It will be DH and myself and our dog. We plan to start full timing in about 3 years. We have questions about all of it and I'm reading these forums almost nonstop. It's become my addiction as of late! Thanks for all the good info I know we'll get! We've even considered trying a class B or B+ for fulltiming.
1. Anyone fulltiming in a View? How does that work for you? Any modifications in order to fulltime in it?
2. If you are in a Class A...do you find spots in BLM, State Parks, Forestry Service, etc., easy to get into and out of to boondock, and how long is your rig?
3. Anyone in a class B or B+ fulltiming? Do you have enough space? Gas mileage? Boondocking in it? Advice on all of this is welcomed and I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks.
4. Other suggestions for an RV that might be more suited for fulltiming but still have the ease of driving, the good gas mileage, the storage of a class A, etc. (remember, I want it all )
5. If you are fulltiming, how many rigs did you try before you found the "perfect" fit for you?
Thanks!

Jim&Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

We have a 2009 View. We are not full timing, but I'm not sure we could do that in the view. However, we have seen some of the BLM and forestry service campgrounds, don't think I would want to drive a big rig to them. Back roads, mostly gravel. We once took a wrong turn in the mountains near the Blue Ridge hwy, had to turn around on a narrow road, no turnarounds or pulloffs, was pulling a boat too. After disconnecting the boat it was no problem turn the View around.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #3

Hello, What is a "BLM" and "Forestry Campground?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

Things would get tight quick full timing in a View with a dog, For most people full timing space is important, 45 ft rigs get into most places......
Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemma112 View Post
Hello, What is a "BLM" and "Forestry Campground?
Bureau of land management....
Old 06-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodibear View Post
We have a 2009 View. We are not full timing, but I'm not sure we could do that in the view. However, we have seen some of the BLM and forestry service campgrounds, don't think I would want to drive a big rig to them. Back roads, mostly gravel. We once took a wrong turn in the mountains near the Blue Ridge hwy, had to turn around on a narrow road, no turnarounds or pulloffs, was pulling a boat too. After disconnecting the boat it was no problem turn the View around.
That's what I've heard too. I like nature and solitude at times and I don't want to be limited to just being able to camp in CG's all the time. Thanks for your input! Keep it coming everybody, we want to hear from everybody!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENECOP View Post
Things would get tight quick full timing in a View with a dog, For most people full timing space is important, 45 ft rigs get into most places......
I appreciate your taking the time to comment. I am curious, does this mean that you have camped with a 45ft rig in a BLM or Forestry Area? If so, I'd love to hear more about that and where the sites are that are able to accomodate that size of a rig. That would mean I could have more space and still be able to boondock in a remote area. We have never actually camped in a BLM so I'm really anxious to hear from someone that has.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
[QUOTE=Kodibear;888495]We have a 2009 View. We are not full timing, but I'm not sure we could do that in the view.

Kodibear,
Could you tell me please what model of view you have? Among one of our options we are considering is trading our view for a different model. Ours is the 23H and we are thinking that having a different model View with an actual bedroom area might make fulltiming in one a little easier. Your thoughts?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Cindy & Jim,
If y'all are planning on doing a lot of boondocking, check Bob Difley's website, as HE IS THE GURU OF BOONDOCKERS !!! I have 34'(no slides) and I'd put it anywhere, except a dead end road.. I'd sure hate to spend the price of a View and 'try' fulltiming in it... Fuel can't stay as high as it's been lately, FOREVER !!

Smooth roads, clear skies & balmy breezes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Jim&Cindy;888639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodibear View Post
We have a 2009 View. We are not full timing, but I'm not sure we could do that in the view.

Kodibear,
Could you tell me please what model of view you have? Among one of our options we are considering is trading our view for a different model. Ours is the 23H and we are thinking that having a different model View with an actual bedroom area might make fulltiming in one a little easier. Your thoughts?
We have a 24H. It has a slide for the couch only, newer models have a full wall slide which I think we help a bit for a full timer. I think the biggest problem you would have would be having enough storage space for what you might need. We just came back from a 3 1/2 week trip to Wisconsin. If was tight with the storage space. The full wall slide makes for more space in the kitchen area. DW gets upset when I try to use the bathroom or get into the frig when she's cooking. We have two dogs now, small Maltese, they are no problem. I sleep over the cab, wife sleeps on the couch. Since I usually go to bed earlier, it works out for us. If you can both sleep on the couch, you could have more storage over the cab. Other options would be to tow a trailer or a hitch box.

What I really like about the View is it's go anywhere capability. It's small enough to fit into tight spaces, so far we have not had a need for a toad, although we are considering getting one for use when camping in SC. Our trip to Wisconsin cost $617 in Diesel. Round trip was 2146 miles. A gasser getting 8 or 9 mpg would have cost an estimated $906 at $3.80 a gallon.

Just some thoughts.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
[QUOTE=Kodibear;888786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Cindy View Post

We have a 24H. It has a slide for the couch only, newer models have a full wall slide which I think we help a bit for a full timer. I think the biggest problem you would have would be having enough storage space for what you might need. We just came back from a 3 1/2 week trip to Wisconsin. If was tight with the storage space. The full wall slide makes for more space in the kitchen area. DW gets upset when I try to use the bathroom or get into the frig when she's cooking. We have two dogs now, small Maltese, they are no problem. I sleep over the cab, wife sleeps on the couch. Since I usually go to bed earlier, it works out for us. If you can both sleep on the couch, you could have more storage over the cab. Other options would be to tow a trailer or a hitch box.

What I really like about the View is it's go anywhere capability. It's small enough to fit into tight spaces, so far we have not had a need for a toad, although we are considering getting one for use when camping in SC. Our trip to Wisconsin cost $617 in Diesel. Round trip was 2146 miles. A gasser getting 8 or 9 mpg would have cost an estimated $906 at $3.80 a gallon.

Just some thoughts.
Thanks again for that info. We have the slide in the couch area as well. We spent 1 month in the View a couple of years back. 4 of us. Me, DH, 2 teenagers and we did well with that. Had it down to a science by the time we got back home. Everybody had their nooks, we could unhook and be on the road in 15 minutes tops if we wanted and also be hooked up in a CG in the same amount of time. Didn't tow anything though. Drove everywhere we went but we were traveling for this trip. Not staying put. New CG every night for the most part. Went from TN to Alaska and back. Loved every mile of it! That's what make me think that with it just being the 2 of us we might just be able to full time in the View if we had a toad. We also have an awning room that we can attach if we want. The over head could certainly be used for storage, no doubt. We like the bunk beds in the model 24B and 24P Views and I'm anxious to look inside of one to see if that might be a good solution for us. Keep the ideas and info coming!!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #12

Check out the Winnebago Via, might be just what you need. Has the storage and interior space but only slightly bigger then the View.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #13

more experienced folks than myself probably have already commented on this, but I had my heart set on a View. We looked at B+ on sprinter chassis too. I live with pretty big guys, and a big dog. There would be precious little additional weight I could put in the thing if we all were traveling somewhere, let alone have the ability to take on all of life's essentials. We settled on a short unit on a freightliner chassis, and we both love it. This would be too small for full timing but could practically pull a house!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #14

Check out the Aspect/Cambria by Winnebago. They are a class C (B+ to some people).
Our's is a 29'. You can get them shorter or longer.
We are only on the road 2 or 3 months at a time now. But 2 old people and 2 dogs no problem.

2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote